Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com

Best Tube Amp ever???

Discussion in 'Glowing Bottle Tube Amp Forum' started by sparkletele123, Aug 6, 2013.

1. Wally

Wally Telefied Ad Free Member

Mar 17, 2003
    Lubbock, TX
    I might agree with everything in this statement except the part where the Boogie was based on the 5F6A. This is not so. The first Boogies were based on the BF AB763 circuit which is considerably different from the 5F6A Tweed BAssman from the first gain stage all the way to input to the phase inverter.

AS for the panty throwing thing....most women who throw panties at the stage wouldn't know one amp from another...or care. Those who throw their panties at the stage were well described in a certain Rolling Stone song....I'll let you guess which one since this is a 'family oriented' forum. It is on the album 'Goat's Head Soup'.
    Two words....first word...'Star'...second word of 6 letters starts with
    F and ends with ker.

2. muchxs

muchxs Doctor of Teleocity

Aug 14, 2004
    New England
    Best amp ever? I'm workin' on it... :D

A gross generalization of course. Sure, there are a lotta guys who run around sayin', "I'm great, I'm great. Look at me! I'm effin' great." Strangely enough our brains have been conditioned by advertising so we form a line that leads to the Kool-Aid trough. :rolleyes:

I'd like to build everyone the best amp ever, really I would. I spend a lot of time listening to musicians and listening to what they want. The difficulty is they're musicians and I'm a technician. I know which features work well together and which features don't. Superimpose that over the typical "I want an amp that does everything for $500!" budget. It's easier to get exactly what you want for $4000. $500? Not so much. :rolleyes:

3. Cquadphil

Cquadphil TDPRI Member

May 22, 2010
    Northern Ireland
    I have had a lot of amps through my hands and have held on to a couple of really nice ones but the only one that made me gasp when I first heard it was my vintage Hiwatt custom 100 and its beautifully put together

Cquadphil

4. Wyzsard

Wyzsard Friend of Leo's

[​IMG]

"Eric Johnson once said 'the best amp in the world has just one knob' - simple. One input for single coils, one input for hummies. A faithful recreation of Leo Fender's 5F1 circuit produced in '57 to '61 Champs - just with an Eminence Legend 12 inch speaker in a larger Deluxe style solid pine cabinet. This amp doesn't need reverb - there are so many harmonics and overtones happening that reverb would wreck it."
    - from Victoria amps old page describing the 5118

Same amp with a 8"

Fender

5. tele salivas

tele salivas Poster Extraordinaire

Sep 5, 2008
    Tulsa
    The one that gets you laid.

6. BobbyZ

BobbyZ Doctor of Teleocity

Jan 12, 2011
    Snellman MN
    Dam ! ! I should'a kept that solid state Peavey half stack !:lol:
    (it'd be vintage now)

7. BopT

BopT Tele-Afflicted

Feb 6, 2011
    Chicago
    Tough call but, I would say...
    I feel the need
    The need for
    Tweed!
    Champ that is
    Just one knob,
    But it goes all the way
    To TWELVE!

8. Matt Laird

Matt Laird Tele-Meister

Aug 5, 2013
    Pea Ridge, Arkansas
    To me the best tube amp "ever" is one that you don't have to make a change with it when you get it. It just sounds great the way it is. For me, it would have to be either the Fender Vibro King or a 59 Bassman.

9. Delta Blues

Delta Blues Tele-Afflicted

Dec 22, 2011
    GA

10. T-Bone

T-Bone Tele-Holic

Aug 28, 2012
    Toronto
    Flaker? That's silly. I don't think it's even a word.

Oh... Wait... The Stones were Ballitarians. The word is Forker, from the churchoftheholymeatball.org

11. FistFullOfSteel

FistFullOfSteel TDPRI Member

Sep 20, 2013
    Portland, Oregon
    image-1503813495.jpg

If I could only have one, I'd keep this one

"Music is my Religion" ~ Jimi Hendrix

12. dandd

dandd TDPRI Member

Apr 21, 2007
    Detroit
    Either a...
    BF Deluxe Reverb
    BF Vibrolux Reverb
    Silvertone 1484
    Gibson Goldtone RVS

13. bblumentritt

bblumentritt Tele-Afflicted

Dec 3, 2012
    Austin, Texas
    According to me, my tube amp is the best...

Maybe I need to get these guys to write my ad copy:

• incredible sounding, hand-built masterpiece...
    • This is an amp that must be heard...
    • Truly remarkable amplifier...
    • superb clean and distortion voices...
    • vast tonal range, incredible dynamics and rich complexity.
    • beautiful clean voice has a silky chime that is deep, spacious and sensuous.
    • The tone is really something very special.
    • exquisite upper-end sparkle, complexity and singing sustain.
    • It sounds equally fabulous with either humbuckers or single coil pickups

This one kills me: "layering sounds with lush harmonics while retaining excellent touch sensitivity and note articulation. (An almost impossible accomplishment in amplifier design that has taken Tony a lifetime to achieve)."

I'm sure it's a nice amp, probably a very good amp, and perhaps a great one. The ad copy is so over-the-top it make a bad infomercial (or Ronco Veg-A-Matic ad) sound like child's play... and makes me want to stay away. Who was it written for, 12 year olds?

14. bblumentritt

bblumentritt Tele-Afflicted

Dec 3, 2012
    Austin, Texas
    I built something like this, a 5E3 and a 5F1 circuit in one chassis, with a 12" Eminence and a large Deluxe style pine cabinet.

I let my buddy play it at practice a couple of weeks ago, when his old Alamo amp was acting up, and he must have said, "That's a really nice sounding amp" four times in three hours. I think he was on the 5E3 setting, though, IIRC.

15. stacker22

stacker22 TDPRI Member

Apr 8, 2015
    East coast
    Fender 5F6-A 1959 Bassman when you build a amp for a bass guitar and more guitar players use it as a guitar amp . It is a amp that can change a guy from owning a drum shop, to becoming one of the largest amp builder's success stories in the world, it just might be the best tubed amps ever just ask Jim Marshall

16. Johnny Cache

Johnny Cache Former Member

Mar 6, 2014
    Oregon
    :twisted:

Attached Files:

• th.jpeg
      th.jpeg
      File size:
      3.2 KB
      Views:

17. CoolBlueGlow

CoolBlueGlow Tele-Afflicted

Nov 20, 2011
    Arkansas
    :twisted:This^^^

Gorilla tone FOREVER!

Hehe

18. CoolBlueGlow

CoolBlueGlow Tele-Afflicted

Nov 20, 2011
    Arkansas
    • This amp goes to eleven...
    • you don't even need to tune.
    • Some players spontaneously explode at the first chord
    • Buttery chimey overtones surround solid cleanness wrapped in rich creamy harmonic overtones surrounded by a harmonic complexity of subtle pure fundamentals that reveal textures and hints of fruity bouquets.

Bad ad copy is the worst. I HATE bad ad copy. It makes me crazy :mad:

19. Ragin Cajun

Ragin Cajun Tele-Meister

Dec 2, 2014
    New Iberia, LA
    The one I don't have!:D

20. vintagelove

vintagelove Tele-Meister

Oct 18, 2014
    NY
    BF Super Reverb IMHO

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.