Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com

best tremolo pedal

Discussion in 'The Stomp Box' started by soul-o, Sep 12, 2011.

1. Jimmy Dean

Jimmy Dean Tele-Afflicted

Picked up a Catlinbread Paradolia yesterday. Coolest trem tones I have ever used. Sounds like a cross between trem & a mild phaser with the depth turned up. Just love the tone so much I think it will be on all the time. I have it between the Belle Epoch & the Callisto on my board. No tap, just cool vibes.

2. kp8

kp8 Friend of Leo's

Aug 22, 2004
    Seoul, Korea
    what do you call this kind of zombie thread. Dead for years then suddenly 2 or 3 new pages?

Meanwhile… sold my empress when hard times hit. Sadness. I love me some throb. Looking hard at the Dr. Scientist. Seems musically very useful. The hold thing was something i was already doing with a momentary switch/looper config. That simplifies my rig a lot right there. i am a tweaker. I love tremolo.

3. NCSUZoSo

NCSUZoSo Tele-Meister

Sep 26, 2013
    North Carolina
    I have heard awesome things about the BYOC Tremolo Pedal, that is if you build your own pedals or are willing.

http://buildyourownclone.com/tremolo.html

4. Warm Gums

Warm Gums Friend of Leo's

Mar 29, 2009
    not here
    That's been pretty much my experience, I had the Boss, Marshall "Vibe /Trem" and the Dano, also the Behringer which is actually pretty good for a light throb. They are fine, but I wanted something more organic in form..like a modern version whats built in to many '60s department store amps. Toss between the Diamond and Empress, I went with the Diamond the wave forms work well for me.. I like the Demiter a lot also not as edgy, but very full sounding.

5. ac15

ac15 Poster Extraordinaire Ad Free Member

May 9, 2005
    CHICAGO, IL.
    I don't really get the "Boss Tremolo is clinical sounding" thing. I think it's absolutely fine, and I own two Navy Random Flair Ampeg Jets.

Never mind. Like kp8 said, this is a zombie thread.

6. Tim Bowen

Tim Bowen Poster Extraordinaire

Mar 17, 2003
    Atlanta/Rome, Georgia, US
    The kind that's on the verge of having somebody scream "do a search!" if you start a new thread. Zombie vs. Search, the eternal struggle. Love talking trems but don't care to start typing here if thread's gonna get locked down.

7. goldwax

goldwax Tele-Meister

Feb 19, 2014
    Los Angeles, CA
    I want to specifically get the tremelo effect found on this song, Help You Ann, by the Lyres:

I got a stock Boss TR-2, but for lack of knowledge of technical terms, I don't get a contrasty enough or sharp enough volume drop during the "valleys" and also I can't get the beats of the tremelo effect to line up to the proper tempo.

Can anyone suggest a pedal that might achieve this sound?

8. Garage Dog

Garage Dog TDPRI Member

Jan 5, 2011
    Lakehead,California
    I am surprised there is not more love for the Suhr Jack Rabbit.
    It replaced my Demeter and I am quite happy with my decision.
    They have packed 10 pounds of features in a 5 pound bag.

9. Boobjobber

Boobjobber TDPRI Member

May 7, 2014
    Oregon
    Incidentally, I just bought a trem pedal and looked into all the options. For my tastes, I didn't like the EHX Wiggler very much...it didn't strike me as a very classic sounding trem which is what I was going for. For a more budget approach, I liked the Dunlop/MXR TrEmOlO pedal, but you have to buy those used these days as they're out of production. The Fulltone Supatrem is an awesome pedal at the next level up and I almost bought one of those, until I found the Amptweaker Swirlpool. It's definitely boutique pricey, but it's so awesome. It's modeled after vintage amp Tremolos and also has two vibrato channels on it. There are two on-pedal effects loops allowing you to run other pedals in parallel through the pedal itself. I run delay pedals through the pedal's loop and to me it sounds so much better than when they're in series. If you love vintage sounding trem/vibrato, use it a lot, and have some money to spare in buying one, it's worth it. My only beef with it is that it doesn't come with a power supply and they don't offer one with it. To boot, it requires an 18v supply instead of standard 9v. I picked up a Dunlop ECB04 supply and it works great.

10. NankerPhelge

NankerPhelge Tele-Meister

Oct 30, 2009
    Littlehampton, UK
    Using A Jack Rabbit here too. I don't have much experience with other trems, but the Suhr has got a lot of nice sounds in it.

11. goldwax

goldwax Tele-Meister

Feb 19, 2014
    Los Angeles, CA
    Not that anyone seems to care, but I figured out how to get that sound using my stock TR-2 ... with a distortion pedal! Clean the sound volume between the top and bottom of the square wasn't extreme enough, but with a distortion pedal, it clicked into place. Fine-tuned it by switching to the bridge pickup of my Jag, and more important, strumming in time with the tremolo to keep the intensity of the effect constant.

12. Tarnisher

Tarnisher Friend of Leo's

Apr 12, 2008
    Brooklyn
    I like my two cheapies:

Mooer Trelicopter
    Danelectro Tuna Melt

13. Pajama

Pajama Tele-Meister

May 12, 2003
    The Demeter is a wonderful pedal.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.