Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com

best tremolo pedal

Discussion in 'The Stomp Box' started by soul-o, Sep 12, 2011.

1. SpiderWeb

SpiderWeb Friend of Leo's

Thanks for the input...I've been looking at the Diamond Tremolo and the Diamond J-Drive for quite some time...from the reviews, videos etc they seem to be pretty impressive...

2. Snufkinoob

Snufkinoob Tele-Meister

May 23, 2011
    England
    I've gone through alot of tremolo pedals and I've found the Diamond is still the best I've had. I'm currently trying out a Keeley Boss TR-2 against it, and it's still my keeper tremolo pedal. The Boss is a great no-frills, compact trem, and if you get one used it's worth the keeley or analogman mod, but I'd still suggest saving up for the Diamond over it or anything else. The tone is similar to the Demeter or Supatrem but it's got so much more going on in terms of versatility.

Also, the EQD Hummingbird is based on the Ampeg trem you've mentioned you like, as it replicates that unique 'pulse' waveshape, so you could try that, but... with some adjusting in the 'chop' mode on the Diamond you can get close enough to it. I had the Hummingbird and A/B'd the two and the difference was negligable. Granted, the HB wave shape is a very sharp, steep triangle wave, and when playing clean it's definitely a touch more 'musical' with a little 'bounce' to it, but the Diamond can get close enough and offer alot more so I'd say that wins out in the end, unless you're really wanting that exact, unique sound.

3. Lostinthe50s

Lostinthe50s Tele-Afflicted

May 7, 2010
    Kenora, ON
    TR-2's since ~2007 have no volume drop and are dead quiet. Bought one this last spring and it quickly punted my VL tremolo.

4. nic'o'caster

nic'o'caster Tele-Afflicted Silver Supporter

Apr 10, 2004
    Middle Earth
    The Demeter and Dr Scientist are my favorites. The Tremulator for oldschool simplicity and warm rich tone and the Tremolessence (old 3 knobs version) for more versatility and total respect of original tone. The new version is just too much and too expensive though. I find it has become like the Empress tremolo, a super versatile trem with lots of fine tunings. I prefer a small and simpler box !

5. ScottJPatrick

ScottJPatrick Tele-Afflicted

May 12, 2011
    Stirling, Scotland.
    +1, my stock Boss pedal has absolutely no volume drop at all.

6. iamharlan

iamharlan Tele-Meister

Nov 23, 2009
    Fort Worth, TX
    It's the Empress Tremolo all the way for me. For me, it's the tap tempo. With the way I use the trem, it's a must have.

7. nickg21285

nickg21285 Tele-Meister

Jan 7, 2010
    Rotherham, UK
    Sorry about that... That's what you get for skim reading threads when you should be doing some work! :(

8. Jimmy Dean

Jimmy Dean Tele-Afflicted

I really like my Voodoo Labs Tremolo. I have it paired with a Boss FRV-1. Makes my 5w combo sound like the Vibroverb RI That I had in the 90's.

9. Telephonic

Telephonic Tele-Meister

Jan 27, 2009
    Florida
    Got to give a thumbs up to the Keeley modded TR-2, small footprint, no noise and dependable...plus Tom Bukovac rocks one.

10. SirJackdeFuzz

SirJackdeFuzz Friend of Leo's

Jan 18, 2007
    South Africa
    The EHX Pulsar, like its been said before, is a great affordable unit, but my fav is still the bigger EHX WIGGLER.

11. blargfromspace

blargfromspace Tele-Afflicted

Apr 8, 2010
    Australia
    I've been through a couple and have settled on a BBE tremor. Looks awful, but sounds fantastic. It doesn't have all those (unnecessary???) bells and whistles that you see on the Cusack or Empress but costs 1/5th of one of them. Its a good, no nonsense, great sounding, throbbing tremolo at a budget price.

That said, if I'd been aware of the Nobels TR-X at the time I purchased the BBE, they would have got my money.

12. Jakedog

Jakedog Doctor of Teleocity

Mar 26, 2003
    The North Coast

No apologies necessary. I figured you just missed it somehow, no biggie!

13. teleup

teleup Tele-Holic Silver Supporter

Apr 22, 2010
    between Milwaukee and Chicago
    yes, the Demeter is a good one

14. teleNtweed

teleNtweed Tele-Holic

Nov 27, 2010
    Anchorage, AK
    Yes!

There are really 3 tried and true trems:

1. Boss TR-2
    2. Voodoo Labs Tremolo
    3. Fulltone Supra-Trem

All three are excellent trems.

I like the Voodoo as it is an excellent trem but it doubles as one of the best clean boosts around! Turn down the intensity and bang, clean boost! Fun stuff.

Obviosly like anything else, there are plenty of budget and boutique options but these three stand out and show up on the majority of pedal boards. Good luck man!

15. Okieactor

Okieactor Tele-Holic

Jun 19, 2009
    Austin, TX
    Cheap: dano cc trem ( I have it, it rocks).
    Mid range: vs garage tone (very, vey good)
    higher prtice range: idk. Don't need to spend over $100 on a trem, but if I was a.rockstar I would look at the fulltone one.

16. tjalla

tjalla Friend of Leo's

+1 or 9879479304

17. '56Teleman

'56Teleman Tele-Afflicted

Feb 25, 2006
    Lindenhurst, IL
    I've had a BYOC for a few years but haven't tried it yet. (can you tell I'm not much into pedals?)

What's your opinion on it?

Thanks

18. IAmGhostDog

IAmGhostDog Tele-Meister

Mar 17, 2011
    Milwaukee, WI
    That's what I use.
    I use it to add just a touch of "shimmer".
    Nothing real radical.

19. SirJackdeFuzz

SirJackdeFuzz Friend of Leo's

Jan 18, 2007
    South Africa
    Now with pic :

[​IMG]

20. José

José Tele-Afflicted

Feb 26, 2008
    paris

I have the Surf Trem it does the trick for me.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.