Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com

best tremolo pedal

Discussion in 'The Stomp Box' started by soul-o, Sep 12, 2011.

1. soul-o

soul-o Tele-Afflicted

Jan 29, 2007
    Boston
    I know I could search, but I figure it's worth a fresh discussion. What's the best old- school sounding tremolo pedal? One that sounds like my Vibro champ or my old Ampeg Jet. I always felt like the Boss tremolo pedals sounded a bit too clinical, what else is out there thst's not too fancy schmancy?

2. stevics

stevics Tele-Meister

May 20, 2011
    Saaarfend UK
    I'm going to put a trem in my new set up, my short list was.

Malekko trem
    Boss TR2
    Earthquaker Hummingbird.

I will be going for the hummingbird.

3. sjwieczorkow

sjwieczorkow Tele-Meister

Jun 10, 2008
    Milwaukee
    The Catalinbread is the bees knees. Please do not buy the Malekko.

4. Chiogtr4x

Chiogtr4x Friend of Leo's

Mar 29, 2007
    Manassas Park, VA

Not to be a contrarian but I can A/B my old Boss TR-2 (which I use with my Blues Jr.) against the trem in my '68 Deluxe Reverb (with the TR-2 plugged into the DR) and you cannot tell them apart- Boss got Fender tremolo right;)

5. SpiderWeb

SpiderWeb Friend of Leo's

Any experience or opinion out there on the Diamond Tremolo unit?

6. bikeracr

bikeracr Tele-Meister

Jun 11, 2009
    Indianapolis
    The Keeley modded Boss TR-2 addresses the volume issue with the stock pedal. The Fulltone Is regarded by many as the bestnout there.

7. Jakedog

Jakedog Doctor of Teleocity

Mar 26, 2003
    The North Coast
    The Fulltone is amazing. Really the best one I've tried. Currently, I'm using the Dano Cool cat Trem. It's a seriously great unit. Had it for almost two years, and I flat out love it.

Previously had a TR2 (hated it because of the volume drop) and an EHX Stereo Pulsar. The EHX was a great sounding unit, but the controls were too sensitive, made it hard to dial in on the fly. Sound wise though, awesome trem.

I love my Cool Cat to bits. I thought it would be a toy, and admittedly, it looks like one. But it sounds really, really, good. Has no volume drop. Is true bypass if that matters to you, and is really very affordable.

I will eventually get a Fulltone, when the Dano breaks. But it's got around 300 gigs on it so far without so much as a hiccup. Really, it sounds so good and performs so well, I can't justify buying the Fulltone as long as my Dano is still in working order. The Fulltone is a better unit, but the Dano sounds so good and works so well I don't think it's worth the outlay to upgrade as long as it still works. It's that good.

8. scrumley

scrumley Tele-Meister

Jul 20, 2011
    Portland, OR
    EH Pulsar is a really good one

9. ckloewer

ckloewer Tele-Meister

Aug 3, 2011
    Denver, CO
    The Fulltone SupaTrem is dynamite. I sold it when I got my AC15 because there is a tremolo on board, I regret it.

10. getbent

getbent Telefied Ad Free Member

old school?

demeter.

brbadg likes this.

11. Durango Twango

Durango Twango Tele-Meister

Nov 24, 2005
    I have the Diamond right now and it's great. It's very clean sounding, has a huge range of options and is built like a tank. I didn't think I'd get too into all the options (triplets, waveforms etc) but it's so easy to dial them in with this pedal I find myself using stuff I haven't in the past. My personal experience is that some of the swampier trem sounds can get lost in a mix - if I want swamp, I add a little low gain OD or roll the tone knob back on my guitar a touch. Good enough for Buddy Miller, it's good enough for me!

FWIW, I've owned the Fulltone, Semaphore, Babyface, Empress, Rockett, Swamp Thang and countless amp trems.

12. JCSouthpawtele

JCSouthpawtele Friend of Leo's

Apr 28, 2009
    Middlebury,Indiana
    Diaz Tremodillo can be put on the list near or at the top.

13. soul-o

soul-o Tele-Afflicted

Jan 29, 2007
    Boston

Oh yeah, I actually forgot about that one! That has to be a contender, right? They make great stuff.

14. RocknDrTom

RocknDrTom Tele-Holic

Aug 20, 2009
    Lumberport, WV

15. aunchaki

aunchaki Friend of Leo's

Mar 12, 2006
    Central New York
    I have a stock TR-2 and haven't experienced any issues with it. No volume drop, etc... (well, except for the volume drop and rise that is tremolo).

16. Honeyman Scoot

Honeyman Scoot TDPRI Member

Jan 25, 2011
    Berea, Kentucky
    I have Kelley TR-2 and Hummingbird, love them both, each has something special.

17. nickg21285

nickg21285 Tele-Meister

Jan 7, 2010
    Rotherham, UK
    Sorry to jump in on this but has anyone tried the Danelectro Cool Cat Trem? I've been eyeing one of these up on ebay.

brbadg likes this.

18. black_doug

black_doug Tele-Afflicted

19. Jakedog

Jakedog Doctor of Teleocity

Mar 26, 2003
    The North Coast
    See post number seven in this thread.:D

20. tazzboy

tazzboy Former Member

May 5, 2005
    Oregon
    Voodoo Lab Tremolo

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.