Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com Reiland Pickups
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com Reilander Pickups
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com Reilander Pickups
Join TDPRI Today

Best Telecaster under $500

Discussion in 'Telecaster Discussion Forum' started by TheZ, Jul 21, 2013.

1. TheZ

TheZ Tele-Meister

I used to own an early 90's American Standard Telecaster. It was a great guitar but I had a trade for a really nice Strat that I couldn't pass up. I've been without a Telecaster for over a year now and I'd love to get back as close to that feel as possible (9.5" radius, bigger frets) but I don't have the cash to get into another American Standard.

I think the obvious answer would be a used Highway 1, but they really don't come up in Seattle so I'd be looking at getting something new, and I haven't been really impressed with the MIM Standards that I've played. Any thoughts? It doesn't have to be a Fender brand. Thanks for your input :grin:

2. waparker4

waparker4 Doctor of Teleocity

I think you could get an American standard for that

3. Brandon mac

Brandon mac Tele-Holic

4. Forum Sponsor Sponsored posting

5. Davo17

Davo17 Friend of Leo's

6. xtrajerry

xtrajerry Doctor of Teleocity

Why does it have to be new? Used Road Worn 50's have been coming up for sale recently.. I see the asking $450 - $650 for them but most end up selling around $450 shipped. HELLOMUSIC.COM has been moving a lot of Fenders lately.. I'd check them daily until something interesting comes along.

7. cutter2001

cutter2001 TDPRI Member

8. TheZ

TheZ Tele-Meister

Hi all, thanks for your input so far! It would likely have to be new because I've had a heck of a time finding one used and I need to play the guitar before buying. I don't know what it is about Seattle, but deals on used American Telecasters are hard to come by around here.

9. benhenny

benhenny Tele-Holic

G&L Tribute ASAT new
    G&L ASAT Classic used

10. Phelonious Ponk

Phelonious Ponk Tele-Afflicted

What he said. You may be a traditionalist and find yourself unable to pull the trigger on a more modern design, but sitting up in bed in the dark this morning playing unplugged, it would be very easy to forget I was playing my G&L Tribute, it feels so much like my G&L Custom Creations. The Tributes are that good. In their price range, I don't think they have any serious competition.

P

11. muzicmaken

muzicmaken Tele-Holic

12. dogfootblues

dogfootblues Tele-Afflicted

If your going new for $500 I'd grab a MIM standard tele. It's what I started with. It's still my number one out of 8 teles in varying expense. They have a natural one with hot pickups I believe for $400 at musicians friend. Actually I think there all going for $400 with the little summer rebate thingy.

Sent from my iPod touch using TDPRI

13. AndyLowry

AndyLowry Friend of Leo's

The Squier Classic Vibes are hard to beat, if you can handle the thin neck.

14. tele12

tele12 Friend of Leo's

If you buy a used guitar from Guitarcenter you can return it after 30 days.
    They will ship to your local GC for free.

http://used.guitarcenter.com/usedGear/index.cfm

15. tele12

tele12 Friend of Leo's

16. deadbeat son

deadbeat son Tele-Holic

Beat me to it. This is what I was going to recommend too.

17. 73Fender

73Fender Friend of Leo's

A new Tele for $500 and if the op doesn't like MIM Standards is not leaving much to go on.

18. stratBP

stratBP TDPRI Member

I live in Seattle too and waited for months not seeing one American Standard listing on craigslist. You see Strats all day but no Tele's.. I eventually gave in and bought one new for $999.. no regrets at all. That said, I don't really have any advice if you want to only buy site on seen.:neutral:

19. xtrajerry

xtrajerry Doctor of Teleocity

GC's website pricing is interesting.. I assume that the store that has the used item in stock sets the price. I have gotten some fantastic deals on pedals, practice amp and guitars. Not much risk with their liberal return policy.

20. guy.wilson

guy.wilson TDPRI Member

Keep looking. I found an American Special at a smaller guitar shop here in Akron, Ohio for $450.
    It had a dime size ding on the side about two inches from the jack. New CTS pots, Duncan Broadcaster pickups and some vintage capacitors with a late 60's wiring. A total investment of around $650 with the upgrades and couldn't be happier. Modern features, 9.5 radius 22 fret fingerboard with medium jumbo frets. The best of both worlds.
    Happy hunting!

21. Jack FFR1846

Jack FFR1846 Tele-Afflicted

What didn't you like about the mim standard? If you buy a used one, upgrade it. $500 should do it unless you can't stand the neck (which are the same exact dimensions as an MIM strat....I've measured). My partscaster, based on mostly mim parts is the best tele I've ever played, bar none. Plenty of upgrade parts out there.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.