Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com

Best Telecaster Neck pickup?

Discussion in 'Just Pickups' started by brunocvieira, Jun 12, 2017.

1. brunocvieira

brunocvieira TDPRI Member

Jun 20, 2016
    Vila Velha, ES, Brazil
    Hi guys, i'm currently changing the pickups on my Telecaster and settled on the Little '59 for the bridge, but I don't know anything about neck pickups. I don't need the pickup to be noiseless, just not muffled. Any suggestions?

2. brunocvieira

Jun 20, 2016
    Vila Velha, ES, Brazil
    I currently have a Vintage Noiseless, but it's just OK.

3. double_a

double_a TDPRI Member

May 16, 2017
    Toronto
    What sound are you looking for?

I like Klein pickups, Mojotone, and Rio Grande

4. brunocvieira

Jun 20, 2016
    Vila Velha, ES, Brazil
    Very traditional single coil tones, like SRV or John Mayer.

5. double_a

double_a TDPRI Member

May 16, 2017
    Toronto
    Don't overlook that he obvious Seymour Duncan or Fender. Over the years Fender has produced a variety of stock pickups.

6. SPUDCASTER

SPUDCASTER Poster Extraordinaire Platinum Supporter

Seymour Duncan standard neck offerings have plated brass covers to my knowledge. Usually equals "muffled" response.

SRV and John Mayer are Strat players, you might look at the Fender Twisted Tele.

I have an O.C. Duff Big Boy. Stratty, Gretschy and Tele in one.

7. El Tele Lobo

El Tele Lobo Tele-Afflicted

Oct 21, 2014
    Florida
    Ditto on the Duff. Good choice for stratty blues tone.

8. jvin248

jvin248 Friend of Leo's

Apr 18, 2014
    Near Detroit, MI

+1 that SRV and Meyer used Strats more than Teles ... so find a Strat neck pickup. Maybe add a middle Strat pickup too so you can get that Strat Quack. SRV played a lot of middle pickup. 6kohm or less output on both, set the middle pickup low. Staggered pole pieces.

9. brunocvieira

Jun 20, 2016
    Vila Velha, ES, Brazil
    I'm sorry, I didn't understand your comment. I'm actually from Brazil and english is only my secondary language. I bought the Lil' 59 for the bridge because I want to play some heavier rock music too and I've heard that this pickup is quite good. For the neck I mostly only use it for clean and bluesy stuff, so I need a very good single coil. I'm not choosing by brand or anything like that...

10. El Tele Lobo

El Tele Lobo Tele-Afflicted

Oct 21, 2014
    Florida
    The Wilde Keystone neck is pretty stratty too.

11. brunocvieira

Jun 20, 2016
    Vila Velha, ES, Brazil
    Read a lot of things about the Twisted Tele, I think that this pickups comes in two versions or something like that. It's always nice to know more options.

awasson likes this.

12. crossroader

crossroader Tele-Afflicted Gold Supporter

Sep 24, 2004
    Endicott, NY
    Barden.

Best Tele neck pickup ever made, IMO. By far.
    Lots of other good options out there, but to my ears, nothing else comes close.

I have them in 2 of my Tele's. Not cheap, but worth it.

I'm also thinking that it would be a good match with your Little '59.

13. ptecat

ptecat TDPRI Member

Sep 26, 2009
    East Coast
    brunocvieira and telemnemonics like this.

14. bsman

bsman Tele-Afflicted

Jun 8, 2003
    Santa Clara
    I stuck a pair of the Mojotone '52 clone series pickups (Alnico 3) in my MIM telecaster and have found the neck pickup is extremely versatile -- beautiful bluesy cleans and takes dirt very well, too. With appropriate amp settings, it covers a lot of ground. I just purchased a 4-way Emerson kit and can't wait to install that to see how it works in series with the bridge PU.

15. metalosophy

metalosophy Tele-Meister

Dec 21, 2016
    Dublin, CA
    Twisted Tele all the way.

16. MDent77

MDent77 Tele-Holic

Jun 13, 2016
    New England
    I really love the Big T (Jim Weider) Tele neck pickup - wound by Lindy Fralin. (sound samples from Jim Weider here). I can get a Strat tone with my Ash Tele.

brunocvieira likes this.

17. Dustin_J

Dustin_J Tele-Meister

Dec 22, 2013
    St. Louis, MO
    The Dimarzio Twang King is really good for clear neck tones more toward the Stratty side of the spectrum.

zippofan, middy and brunocvieira like this.

18. telemnemonics

telemnemonics Poster Extraordinaire

Mar 2, 2010
    Maine
    I'd say Strat pickup is what you describe, but lower "output" as in not Hot, Texas or Blues.
    If you don't want to have to get a pickguard that's routed for a Strat pickup, and maybe your Tele body is not routed for a Strat pickup, then the Twisted Tele option might be good.
    There are indeed two versions of the Twisted Tele neck pup, and they're hard to tell apart. AFAIK if you buy a new Custom Shop branded Twisted Tele neck pickup in Custom Shop packaging, you'll get the "good" one.

Lots of seller misrepresent the cheap version as a CS pickup, and the wire color does not identify which it is any more.

brunocvieira likes this.

19. ccotton

ccotton TDPRI Member

Jun 6, 2016
    Ohio
    +1 On this. I absolutely love the twisted tele neck pickup.

awasson and brunocvieira like this.

20. Minimalist518

Minimalist518 Tele-Holic

Mar 5, 2017
    Albany
    A humbucker. I only half-kid. I don't think I'm necessarily in a minority in disliking the stock Tele neck pu judging by all the Esquired Teles, Kieth Richards mods and the presence of a Triple Telecaster club here.
    You could go full, mini or even stock-size blade 'bucker. If you go four-wire you could tap the coils with a push/pull pot and, depending on your bridge pu, do a push/pull phase switch to approximate your SRV sounds.

brunocvieira likes this.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.