Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com

Best Tele neck pickup!

Discussion in 'Just Pickups' started by DeadEyeRy, Nov 9, 2017.

1. DeadEyeRy

DeadEyeRy TDPRI Member

Jun 2, 2012
    Hello all!

I'm thinking of swapping out my US standard next pickup for something with a bit more body & grit. My current thinking is a TV Jones filtron type pu.

Anybody got any suggestions? Routing isn't a problem if need be.

2. telemnemonics

telemnemonics Poster Extraordinaire

Mar 2, 2010
    Maine
    I'd like to try a Charlie Christian neck pickup.
    A low wind Gibson mini hum is always a great sound though, and I have one waiting for some repair.

zippofan likes this.

3. FirTrader

FirTrader Tele-Meister

Jan 8, 2017
    Alberta Canada
    Filtertron would definitely fatten things up a bit... a P90 style pickup might just be too aggressive, I guess it depends on what you are after...

4. DeadEyeRy

DeadEyeRy TDPRI Member

Jun 2, 2012
    P90 is probably a bit thin for what I'm going for... and I don't like the look of them! I hear Bareknuckle pu's are good too...

5. popthree

popthree Poster Extraordinaire

i put an american jazzmaster pickup in the neck of one tele, and i really think it sounds great.

i have another tele with a set of keystone pickups, and i think the neck on that one sound pretty super.

i also tend to like the nocaster pickups quite a bit

6. jvin248

jvin248 Friend of Leo's

Apr 18, 2014
    Near Detroit, MI

Before you get to the pickup swap with routers and chisels and what all ... Install a 4-way switch and play that for a while. I use the regular schematic, swap the neck for the bridge wires to the lugs, then rotate the switch 180 degrees so I have neck/parallel/bridge/series humbucker. The usual way puts the humbucker option the most forward then neck, parallel, bridge. Also mess with your pickup heights. This can be a $10 mod. My favorite Tele change.

I think the TV Jones pickups are low-wound so if you are looking for thicker/hotter you'll want something different than them.

2blue2 and Barncaster like this.

7. telemnemonics

telemnemonics Poster Extraordinaire

Mar 2, 2010
    Maine
    Yeah I was thinking if the OP finds a P-90 "a bit thin" then I doubt a TVJ tron will satisfy.

Re: four way switching, lots of players seem to love it, though I prefer fewer sounds with none significantly louder than others (2 pups switched in series- big boost).
    But again, some find that works great for them.

8. moosie

moosie Doctor of Teleocity Silver Supporter

Jul 18, 2010
    Western Connecticut
    Not more grit, but I'd love to try a TV Jones T-Armond sized for the Tele. Like a Tele and Jazzmaster had a baby...

9. Strato50

Strato50 Tele-Meister

Mar 30, 2017
    Port Arthur TX
    I like the TS..its a good one

10. Dacious

Dacious Friend of Leo's

Mar 16, 2003
    Godzone
    Well you don't want a Filter'tron then. A P90's a lot girthier. That's the Humbucker you have when you don't vwant a humbucker! 3.9kohm for a classic Gretsch or TV Jones, pretty bright. Maybe a Dynasonic.

11. ndcaster

ndcaster Friend of Leo's

Nov 14, 2013
    Indiana
    what does your neck pup meter?

12. Bird Dog

Bird Dog TDPRI Member

Feb 8, 2012
    Jefferson City, Mo
    Another solution is to buy a pickguard that will allow a Strat pickup to fit in the neck position of your Tele. Or get someone skilled to cut/sand yours out.

Once, that is done, there are a lot of decent options for your tone quest using slightly hotter than normal Strat pickups including: a Fender Texas Special as well as various Duncan options. I really like Dimarzio Virtual Vintage Blues for a noiseless blues soloing option. An Area 61 does much the same. They sound really nice for lead work and warm chording. At the next price point up, a Fralin or Lollar Strat pickup is guaranteed to sound great in the neck of a Tele.

13. Thin69

Thin69 Friend of Leo's

Oct 28, 2009
    Galveston, TX
    I had a Dimarzio FS-1 Strat pickup in the neck position of a Tele and loved it. Nice and fat but it still had a nice high end. I get tempted to buy another one and slap it into one of my Teles frequently.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.