Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com

Best Tele Being Manufactured Today?

Discussion in 'Telecaster Discussion Forum' started by bglaze, Jan 4, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Sarge

Sarge Friend of Leo's

May 13, 2004
    Pgh,Pa
    I'm not at all impressed buy Fenders Custom Shop Guitars. Too much $$$ for them. What does impress me is some of the guitars coming out of Mexico, Korea, and Japan. Lots of bang for not much $$$. One of my favorites is the Yamaha Pacifica MS 1511 tele..worth every cent. IMHO & YMMV.;)

2. Bhodie

Bhodie Tele-Meister

Dec 29, 2007
    Minneapolis
    Thanks Bob! ONe of these days I will get a pic of my tele, and replace my spruce top PRS hollowbody avatar!

3. the velvet catfish

the velvet catfish Tele-Meister

Sep 8, 2005
    Kansas
    The best has to be the last one I paid for, or is it the
    next one? This is the one I am sure of it! :arrow: :D

4. Telemarkman

Telemarkman Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

Dec 6, 2005
    Norway
    You mean a stock CIJ or an upgraded one? (I've noticed that a lot of folks change out the pickups and/or the hardwear, especially the switch).

5. aram

aram Removed

Jun 13, 2007
    new york
    the best fender telecaster I've played is the nocaster.

but even that doesn't come close to my custom built. Rick Kelly Tele.

Especially considering it was only $1400.

[​IMG]

6. Bhodie

Bhodie Tele-Meister

Dec 29, 2007
    Minneapolis
    Wow! as luck would have it, you can buy mine! :D Check the classifieds!

Actually, I am selling it because I like the body shape of the AM DLX with body cut. More comfortable.

I also find it really interesting that everyone discusses the sound of the pickups in the respective tele's and yet that is the easiest thing to change (which I suspect almost everyone in here has done, is doing, or will do in the future).

I tend to base the decision on body comfort, fit/finish.. especially on the neck. (I personally like flatter necks.. all of mine are now between 9.5 to 12 radius) I prefer a center seamed 2 piece body when possible and "see through" finishes where I can see the wood underneath (no bondo).

I had the 52RI for just under 30 days (thanks GC) and just could not bond with it, though I love the color, and ended up with the 3 tone burst AM DLX I have now..

One other thing to consider (insert warning here, vintage tele lovers skip to end) is the routing under the pickguard. It took me a while, but my AM DLX has the "universal rout" instead of the single coil neck rout, and I can have a humbucker neck pickup, a center single coil and the bridge if I so desire.. In fact, I have a Torres Eng "vintage" humbucker being wound right now for the neck and have a SD broadcaster for the bridge.. Having that factory rout allows that experimentation without pain or mods to the body.. and it can go back to stock in about 30 mins.

Cheers everyone.

7. RumorsofsurF

RumorsofsurF Tele-Meister

Mar 19, 2007
    Independence, OR
    What about the cheesy wiring and pots? None of the 3 CIJ Fenders I've bought have been even close to gig-ready out of the box. I've swapped pots and pickups in two, and intend to swap out the third too.

8. AjayTele

AjayTele Tele-Afflicted

Aug 11, 2007
    Sydney, Australia
    Guys, I just re-read this thread and the initial question was really simple...

To paraphrase: Which is the best manufactured Telecaster, not including Custom Shops?

This (to me) is a simple question, and doesn't include discussions about value for money, which clouds the issue and brings in more subjective views than possibly need to be considered.:rolleyes:

I own a large number of Telecasters and in my experience, there is no doubt whatsoever that the MIA Telecasters are manufactured the best. As to which MIA is the absolute best, maybe that is open to discussion, but in my experience (which sadly doesn't include a Hot Rod Tele yet :rolleyes: ) they are better than the high end MIJ/CIJ and MIM Classic Series.

I can't offer an opinion on Telecasters made by other companies, as I have very few of those, but I have heard that the high end G & L stuff is pretty good from several friends and acquaintences. But for me, when we are talking Telecaster, I feel that we should really be talking Fenders.;)

And as I said before, IMHO the AM Deluxe are manufactured the best.:cool:

9. zook

zook Friend of Leo's

Aug 6, 2003
    Cochise, AZ
    Here you go.

The guitar even has slotted head screws like the opriginal 52.

Winnie

Attached Files:

10. getbent

getbent Telefied Ad Free Member

You've got three. You seem like a pretty smart guy. I think I'll use your purchase of 3 of them as pretty good evidence that they are a good value.

Telemarkman, I did swap out my pickups etc but just because I like things the way I like them. The CIJ's are great guitars, everybody has their favorites... the next 'fender' tele I buy will probably be a CIJ.

JC22 likes this.

11. Telemarkman

Telemarkman Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

Dec 6, 2005
    Norway
    You rascal you ;) .......Hee, hee!

I still prefer a guitar where you don't have to change anything :cool: .......Yeah, I know, I know :oops:

12. My vote for the best non Masterbuilt or Custom Shop FENDER Telecaster goes to the ' 62 AVRI Custom.

13. AJ Love

AJ Love Friend of Leo's

Jul 10, 2005
    Madison WI

14. RumorsofsurF

RumorsofsurF Tele-Meister

Mar 19, 2007
    Independence, OR

I don't dispute the fact that they are a good value. They just offered the features I was looking for, when the MIA stuff didn't (Tele w/Bigsby, Block inlays on a Jazzmaster, and the Jag was a good deal). I'm willing to deal with the wiring and pickup swaps in trade for the features that are exclusive to the CIJ instruments.

I think that in stock form, the AVRI stuff is still better quality. The original question was what is the BEST production Tele manufactured today. Though I love them, I don't think the CIJ fits that description. IMHO, of course. Obviously, we can all argue about whether CIJs are better than MIA ad infinitum...I love them all, so it doesn't matter to me! :D

15. BroadMaster

BroadMaster Tele-Afflicted

I gotta chime in here. I have personally owned and sold every Am Standard color offered. The pups are very generic sounding(to be labeled the *STANDARD). The Delta Tone thing was not much for me, either. I didn't care for any of them, for paint and feel of neck(shape and finish issues). I've also sold countless others while working for Larry Morgan Music, when AmStands were the new 'hot ticket'. They are a good entry level Fender guitar for a serious buyer(exclusive of first guitar for beginner> strat/tele packs) I don't own any now and would only buy one if it was cheap enough to make a buck on the flip.;) :D

I know lotsa folks here swear by theirs and that's cool. I also remember how many upgrades we did on pups and tuners at LMM on the AmSt. I think it has a lot to do with what the customer was looking for when they initially bought. Price point is a strong determining factor. Some will buy if the deal is right, play 'em as they are and make do with PRACTICE:eek: . Then you deal with the: "I don't like this and thats" and spend more of the customer's money they didn't want to spend in the first place.

Could've bought the 52 RI or custom built for what some folks end up spending at a retail store on upgrades. Go figure.

Of course a lot of smoke gets blown up a customer's pant leg when they ask a retail *S_A_L_E_S_M_A_N* what to buy to make it sound better. Ron Kirn has eloquently given the TUTORIAL on that subject. It's one of the main reasons I left sales at that level and build my own, now. EEMMV

16. do not be afraid

do not be afraid Tele-Meister

i agree — but, while we're on the topic of "value for money", i'd go with the Squier Affinity! it's the cheapest Telecaster there is, and it's all the Telecaster most people will ever need (although certainly not the most they will ever want!) honestly, the three Telecasters i chose as the "best" cost up to 10 times as much as an Affinity, but are, at most, 50% better! or, in other words, if we use the '52 reissue as the "standard" at $1,350, then the Squier Affinity is "worth" at least $675 — but, it only costs $170! that's a pretty good "value for money", huh? well, at least, i think so!

17. Fatmanstratman

Fatmanstratman Poster Extraordinaire

Exactly. As someone who HAS owned so many American Standards, you obviously must have really liked them - otherwise you wouldn't have kept on buying so many? If I held any particular type of Tele in such low esteem, I certainly wouldn't go out and buy one of every colour offered!...:confused:

I'm not sure I understand the point you are trying to make by quoting from my post - are you saying that you would also advise folks to "steer clear" of them?

18. hsmith

hsmith TDPRI Member

Oct 2, 2007
    atl,ga
    bowery pine

19. XKnight

XKnight Tele-Afflicted

Nov 9, 2007
    Republic of Texas
    My vote goes to the G&L ASATs. Incredible Teles that seem more consistent in quality than their Fender counterparts. The necks are now Pleked in the factory which probably has a lot to do with the great feel and playability.

20. Arc Angel

Arc Angel Tele-Meister

Oct 21, 2006
    Canada
    I agree. My Mike Stern sig 1511 is the best tele I've played. Rings like a bell.

I've played quite a few 52 reissues and to be they've been inconsistent. Prefer the AV62RI. However, as many have stated, its hard to justify double the money over a Classic Series MIM. Great Teles for the money.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.