Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com

Best Strings for Tele....

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by jigman586, Feb 17, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. PJ55

PJ55 Poster Extraordinaire

Mar 27, 2003
    Philadelphia, PA
    I know I've replied to this a number of times, but it's 9.5-44s D'Addarios for my Teles.

DAddario.jpg

2. VicAjax

VicAjax Tele-Meister

Mar 25, 2010
    New York
    I used DR for awhile and think they're great. But lately I've been using Pyramid nickel classics, and as long as I can find them, I'll be sticking with them.

They last forever and sound great, and even though they're about $10 a set, their long life pays for itself.

Oh, and it's always 10-46.

3. Tele Fan

Tele Fan Friend of Leo's

Oct 26, 2007
    Louisville, Ky
    I'm using d'addario 10's

4. nickd

nickd Tele-Meister

Apr 18, 2011
    Yorkshire, UK
    I've not had very good experience with Dunlops, however I believe the fender nickel are made by daddario. I usually go for whatever is cheapest.

5. bontay50

bontay50 TDPRI Member

Jan 27, 2012
    Hartselle, Al.
    ernie ball slinky 9's

6. tele salivas

tele salivas Poster Extraordinaire

Sep 5, 2008
    Tulsa
    Flatwounds, baby. That low end gets really woody and deep. THere's a little more bounce to the rhythm. On the Esquire I like the Fender pure nickel bullet ends, .9'

7. hfguitar13

hfguitar13 Tele-Meister

Dec 14, 2011
    NY
    Nickel wound Dadarrios .10's nice,sweet warm sound..

8. kraigeyroxx

kraigeyroxx Tele-Meister

Sep 30, 2011
    Heathrow

9. Vladimir

Vladimir Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

Mar 17, 2003
    Zagreb, Croatia
    Elixirs are the best I tried so far, especially if you don't change strings often like me. I stocked up on 'em during the recent 3 for 2 sale.

I used Thomastiks for ages on my archtops before I got my Tele, but I now notice they're a bit too soft compared to regular strings due to the different alloys in them.

10. Ronkirn

Ronkirn Doctor of Teleocity Vendor Member

May 1, 2003
    Jacksonville, FL
    Best??? Did you say, "Best"? :eek: Why... leme think...... Ummm have you tried guitar strings..... I would think they would be muuuuch better than something like Kite strings....

If you are trying to determine which brand of guitar strings would be best for YOU..... why in heck are you asking us.... unless something really weird is happening... our fingers are't now, or ever gonna be attached to your hands...

Thus... I'd suggest that ya do what so many of us have done... "get on the train" traveling down that long track looking for what YOU personally like.... when ya find it.... do not make the mistake so many make.... stop looking at the grass on the other side of the fence.'

Ron Kirn

11. LOTF

LOTF Tele-Meister

Mar 25, 2005
    Tempe, AZ
    10s on my Hot Rod, 11s on my Thinline which is set up for slide. For the most part, I don't really care about the brand except I don't like either Fender or Gibson strings. I also think coated strings like Elixirs work far better on acoustics than electrics.

Oh, I do strictly use 11 Chromes flatwounds on my AlleyKat but that's the guitar I pretend to play jazz on. :D

12. huckdeuceman

huckdeuceman Tele-Meister

Feb 24, 2012
    Homosassa fl
    I use whatever I can bum off the other guitar player..lol, cheap, cheap, cheap, but wish
    he would buy better strings....kidding!

13. BackNtheSaddle

BackNtheSaddle Tele-Holic

Mar 25, 2012
    Philly 'Burbs
    I wish there were strings that I didn't rot, after a few hours of play. My hands sweat a lot and I must ooooze toxic acid. Seriously, even wiping them down between songs, I only get a few hours, before they turn brown. After a couple of days - dead!

FWIW - I use SS's 9-42. But, I suppose that I'll be giving Fender's a go. I am getting a free box of 12 sets, as a rebate for my new Tele. They'll last me 2 weeks - LOL :)

14. akukulich

akukulich Tele-Meister

Jul 7, 2008
    SF Bay Area, CA
    I've been using Ernie Ball Slinkys, 10-46, for a few years. I just ordered several sets of EB pure nickel strings to give them a try.

15. BrettC

BrettC TDPRI Member

Feb 20, 2012
    Australia
    11 to 52 any brand

16. Ed P

Ed P Friend of Leo's

Nov 9, 2006
    California
    12's - Ernie Ball. I like 'em to fight back.

17. el cheapo

el cheapo Tele-Afflicted

Jan 13, 2011
    Southcentral Pa
    I like 11's. GHS Boomers have been nice. I will try the flatwounds at some point.

18. drb1346

drb1346 Tele-Afflicted

Feb 18, 2006
    Maryville, MO
    D'Addario 9's here. Got 'em on every one of my Teles!:D

19. jklotz

jklotz Tele-Afflicted

Jan 10, 2012
    Atlanta, GA
    Interestingly enough, I had the same experience. .09's - .46 seem to be the ticket for my MIA tele. No idea why, .10's for all my other guitars. :confused:

I recently switched to DR Pure Blues. I was a D'Adderio guy for 2 decades. Can't say enough good about these strings. Love em'.

20. gwjensen

gwjensen Friend of Leo's

Crap, now we can't make strings either? Will it ever end? :p

Heard great things about Pyramid strings (German) in Tone Quest magazine. Tried them and didn't notice any improvement over the Slinkies I normally use, but I'll try the Thomastik-Infeld strings. With a name like that they must be good!

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.