Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com Reiland Pickups
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com Reilander Pickups
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com Reilander Pickups
Join TDPRI Today

Best Skateboarder of all time?

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by 1955, Feb 13, 2013.

1. 1955

1955 Poster Extraordinaire

The other skate thread got me thinking. A lot has changed since I cracked my Vision Jinx in half with a street boneless. I fell out of the loop on skateboarding when Tony Hawk was considered the best by many. I probably have not heard of any Skaters after the late '80's.

Who do you think is the best of all time?

2. sneakyjapan

sneakyjapan Poster Extraordinaire

3. Lunchie

Lunchie Poster Extraordinaire

I would guess a lot of people would say Tony Hawk. The first guy to do the 900!

4. Forum Sponsor Sponsored posting

5. transmaniacon

transmaniacon Tele-Holic

I think Rodney Mullen would be the best and most influential skater of all time especially as far as street skating goes. Tony hawke would be up there as for as vert tricks are concerned but for vert "style" I'd pick Christian Hosoi. I'd give Jay Adams an honourable mention for all of the above.

For pure crazy Bob Burnquist is your man...do a youtube search of him skating into the grand canyon or his mega ramp...which brings me to Danny Way............

6. puremania

puremania Tele-Holic

Mullen, Hosoi, and Burnquist are all on my shortlist, although, Mike Valley might be able to challenge Bob Burquist on the "crazy" front, although for different reasons.

Overall though, Rodney Mullen's been my favorite for a LONG time. Best flatlander there will ever be.

7. castpolymer

castpolymer Poster Extraordinaire

I will vote for one's I have actually see skate live and up close. Rodney Mullen for street / freestyle. Tony Hawk for ramp. Hosoi was good, but he was all about air and really was not a " pioneer " of any new tricks ( plus he was a rude individual ). I could really identify with Neil Blender and Lance Mountain. Limited physical talent, but got the most out of what they had.

8. dan1952

dan1952 Friend of Leo's

9. stevehyphen

stevehyphen Tele-Meister

Another one for Rodney Mullen.

In terms of vert skaters I wouldn't know who to choose.

10. ifallalot

ifallalot Tele-Holic

11. strateles

strateles Tele-Holic

My vote would have to be for Rodney. He changed skating period, and still is! His tricks influenced not only street skating but vert skating as well. And he is still pucshing the limits of what can be done on a skateboard. Hawk always said he would watch Rodney then try to do his tricks in the air. Rodney is also the reason skate decks are shaped and built the way they are, the reason wheels are shaped and formulated the way they are, even the materials all companies use now for their trucks and hardware. All because of Rodney. If Rodney mullen had never picked up a skateboard, the sport, would not be anything like what we know. Long live the king!

Attached Files:

12. Just-Jim

Just-Jim Tele-Afflicted

I am partial to the old school guys. I lost interest when "street skate" seemed to replace the original skateboard parks. Never got in the whole rail sliding and stair jumping stuff. The best I ever saw in person was Ray Bones Rodriguez. He was the first one I saw velcro his feet to the board and hit the half pipe at the skateboard park. It was incredible to watch.

13. TeleTex82

TeleTex82 Friend of Leo's

14. surfoverb

surfoverb Doctor of Teleocity

15. Mike Eskimo

Mike Eskimo Doctor of Teleocity

Even though I'm from the DogTown era, the mid-period guys like Mullen , Gonzales, Staab, Hosoi, Barbee, Natas were the best.

They could do it all.

Street and vert.

When Gonzales skates it's basically performance art . Danger + fun...

16. chippertheripper

chippertheripper Friend of Leo's

Gonz.
    But also in my short list of faves are Howard, koston, mark Johnson, and vallely for sheer gnarliness.

17. CrisHendrix

CrisHendrix Tele-Afflicted

Mullen for his competition ability & Gonz for his lifestyle skating ability.. I've seen vids of him ripping through traffic, going at least twice as fast as the cars, downhill through red lights and lane changes like its nothing, like watching some wildlife video of his natural habitat

18. 1955

1955 Poster Extraordinaire

Many thanks to all the contributions! I had posters of Natas(ollie!) and Hosoi(air!) on my wall, I had a Tony Hawk Board at one time. The other boards I remember were having were Alva, Gator, etc. I think I still have a Weilender(sp?) in the closet. At the time I thought Tony Hawk was the most gifted. Mullen and a couple others I will have to brush up on. Seems like they might have come later or after I stopped skating, don't remember them, but looks like Mullen is a top dog. Thanks so much everybody!

19. transmaniacon

transmaniacon Tele-Holic

Mullen is the messiah, although Katharine and Farrah are lookin pretty darn good too.

20. InfiniteRhino

InfiniteRhino Tele-Meister

Mark Baker (UK).... First wave of skating in the UK in the late '70's. Guy was a beast.

21. fezz parka

fezz parka ---------------------------

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.