Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com

Best Semi-Hollow/Hollowbody Guitar

Discussion in 'Other Guitars, other instruments' started by ZachZ, Mar 21, 2012.

1. Jeff R

Jeff R Tele-Holic

May 2, 2010
    White Rock BC
    For under a grand? The Ibanez is a nice guitar - I have the AF-75 (I think) which is 335-ish sounding in a 5120 dress.
    For a brighter, different sound, check out some of the Reverend Club Kings. Technically a thinline build but full size, and available in different pup configurations with a really cool bass contour dial.

2. MarkWW

MarkWW Tele-Meister

Mar 20, 2012
    Central Florida
    Let's see...

335 Style - My Aston Sadona
    [​IMG]

Hollow Body - Ibanez
    [​IMG]

Omiewise65 likes this.

3. LondonLefty

LondonLefty Tele-Meister

May 1, 2011
    London
    Korean built Samick Artist Series, probably get one in the US for under $600, like this one on the right

Attached Files:

4. babalooga

babalooga Tele-Holic

Nov 15, 2008
    Lititz, PA
    Schecter Corsair with Bigsby, love mine. The workmanship is top shelf, and coil splits on both tone pots = lots of tonal versatility. Take the time to check them out, they are like the best kept secret in guitars. Hmmph Schecter, who woulda thought? :lol:

5. ZachZ

ZachZ Tele-Meister

Aug 12, 2011
    United States
    So far:

Epiphone: +17 (1 point from the Royale)
    Ibanez: +8
    Eastman: +7
    DeArmond: +4
    GFS +2
    Hamer: +2
    PRS: +2
    Dean Palomino: +1
    Fender: +1
    Gretsch: +1
    Godin: +1
    Sadona: +1
    Samick: +1
    Schecter: +1
    Vox: +1

6. ZachZ

ZachZ Tele-Meister

Aug 12, 2011
    United States
    Total so far from TDPRI and Strat-Talk:

Epiphone: +26 (1 point from the Royale)
    Ibanez: +16
    Eastman: +7
    Gretsch: +6
    Hagstrom: +5
    DeArmond: +4
    GFS +2
    Hamer: +2
    Michael Kelly: +2
    PRS: +2
    Dean Palomino: +1
    Fender: +1
    Godin: +1
    Guild: +1
    Sadona: +1
    Samick: +1
    Schecter: +1
    Squier: +1
    Vox: +1

Top 5:

Epiphone
    Ibanez
    Eastman
    Gretsch
    Hagstrom

7. Jeff H

Jeff H Tele-Meister

Mar 29, 2003
    State of Jefferson
    Godin 5th or the Kingpin or Kingpin II

8. BackDoorMan

BackDoorMan TDPRI Member

Jan 10, 2011
    Boston

9. ZachZ

ZachZ Tele-Meister

Aug 12, 2011
    United States
    Okay, so yesterday I was able to go to GC for about 30 minutes. I only was able to try out the Epiphone Sheraton, Epiphone Limited Edition Dot Royale, and Gretsch G5120, all plugged into a Blues Jr. III at the (relatively) same settings.

NOTE: The Epiphones both still had the plastic film on their pups, but I don't think it makes much difference.

The Epiphone Sheraton and Royale both sounded quite similar. They both had a pretty generic Epiphone sound, and the playability was pretty good

The Gretsch G5120 sounded VERY good. It was twangy yet warm and smooth. The playability, however, wasn't that great.

Overall, I liked the Gretsch a lot better than the Epiphones.

10. Twinkie

Twinkie Tele-Meister

Jun 4, 2010
    Seattle
    My vote would be for either the Epiphone Emperor Regent or Broadway. These are really great guitars for the money.

11. beep.click

beep.click Poster Extraordinaire

Apr 7, 2007
    California

12. charlie chitlin

charlie chitlin Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

Mar 17, 2003
    Spring City, Pa
    IMO, out-of-the-box playability can't even be considered.
    If the sound of the Gretsch spoke to you, go for it.
    Give it to a good luthier for a set-up and it will play well.

13. Hyperborea

Hyperborea TDPRI Member

Apr 24, 2010
    Silicon Valley
    Used to be you could until the US dollar tanked against the Japanese Yen.

I've got an incredible Edwards E-SA-125-LTS. Edwards is a Japanese market sub-brand from ESP and that model is their 335 copy. I've had my cherry with block inlay one a few years now and it's really my favourite guitar. It's from the "lacquer taste" series which has a lacquer top coat. The neck is something like a Gibson '59 neck - not too thick (like a 50's) and not too thin (like a 60's) but just right.

Unfortunately with the current exchange rate the street price is well over a US$1000 and then shipping on top adds another $150 or so if you were to buy it new. I actually bought mine locally from somebody who had bought it from a dealer in Japan and then needed to sell it not long after doing so.

The only mods I've made are to put on locking tuners because I like those on all my guitars and to change out the pickups. The original pickups are good quality Seymour Duncan but for what I play and the sound I want I wanted different so I put SD Seth Lovers in.

14. 63dot

63dot Friend of Leo's

I didn't know ESP Edwards were still around. They are great guitars and will have to do, along with the ESP LTDs since the flagship brand ESPs are mostly two grand and up.

The Edwards, even at a not so cheap price of $1,150, seems to have the premium parts in stock Seymour Duncans and what appears to be all nice materials. The top and back are said to be solid maple which is nice but not necessary and possibly can compromise your guitar and cause feedback. If you do use the Duncan Seth Lovers, they may be unpotted and thus that much more prone to feedback. It's not a good combination of a solid top and Seths unless you commit to playing at lower volumes. But if you control the volume, I bet the tone will be really nice and woody. For a full hollowbody, of course, a solid top with easily feedback with almost any pickup.

I thought about Seth Lovers in my Ibanez semi-hollowbody but I sometimes use this as a backup guitar for my solidbody which I play through Marshall full stacks. Unpotted pups are not an option.

I wish we had Edwards guitars in my neck of the woods.

15. Land of Dragons

Land of Dragons TDPRI Member

Nov 25, 2010
    Wales UK
    Hagstrom

Have a look at the Hagstrom Viking range on their main site. They are very affordable - change from £400 ish if you search right. I have no experience with the Viking range, but I have one of their Super Swede Les Paul's and couldn't be happier. They are well reviewed on Youtube too, so plenty of opportunity research it.
    Andy

16. Boggs

Boggs Tele-Meister

Jun 19, 2011
    Rochester, NY
    A name that should come up on threads like this is Godin... Check 'em out, guys. Very underappreciated and really teriffic instruments.

17. Telegazer

Telegazer Tele-Holic

May 6, 2008
    Republic of Korea
    I'm gonna stick my neck out and say Peerless. Simply stated, they've got quite a pedigree and their in-house non-OEM line are real stunners.

Sure, you'll be coming really close to the price limit, but the construction and tone of these things are fabulous and are neck-and-neck with the Eastmans, though I personally think the Peerless lamintated models are actually superior in that category. Here in Korea you can get their amazing New York and Monarch jazz models, sometimes even the stunning 17" bout Manhattans for under $500 on the used market.

The Gretschesque Tonemaster:

[​IMG]

L5-ish Journeyman

[​IMG]

18. Jeff R

Jeff R Tele-Holic

May 2, 2010
    White Rock BC
    Here's a photo to get you thinking:

Attached Files:

19. Ryan0594

Ryan0594 Tele-Holic

Jun 15, 2010
    Liverpool, England
    Most of the Epiphones and cheaper Gretschs.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.