Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com

best reverb pedal?

Discussion in 'The Stomp Box' started by jamesbookert, Nov 26, 2007.

1. jamesbookert

jamesbookert TDPRI Member

Jun 3, 2006
    Boston
    i'm looking to buy a reverb pedal within the next few days. i've considered the holy grail reverb, but some have said it sounds pretty muddy with distortion engaged. anyone have any words, recommendations, or different experiences? this would be greatly appreciated.

thanks

2. fakeocaster

fakeocaster Tele-Afflicted

Marshall reflector is fine.I had a holy grail put it made a constant whine when on.I may have got a bad one as others swear by them.Mind you Im the only person around who doesnt like bad monkey pedals either

3. tonfarbe

tonfarbe Tele-Holic

Jun 24, 2004
    Berlin, Yer-up
    No, you're not ;)
    And I also have a Marshall Reflector and think it's a very good (and versatile) reverb pedal.

4. Darrell

Darrell Friend of Leo's

Mar 17, 2003
    Houston, Texas
    I will tell you a secret. Boss did something special a while back. They had a combo pedal called the RV-3. Now alot of people did not catch on, but Boss has some really slick settings in the manual for this pedal that did some very unique things, combining delay and reverb, to get a HUGE sound.

Personally, if you are looking for the most variety of reverb sounds, and textures...this one is it.

Unfortunately, they don't make it anymore.

5. Durtdog

Durtdog Poster Extraordinaire

May 19, 2004
    Tennessee
    I'll put in my 2 centavos:
    I recently got the Line 6 Verbzilla, and I really like it. It replaced my EH Holy Grail...Verbzilla's MUCH better.

6. mad dog

mad dog Friend of Leo's

Jun 27, 2005
    Montclair, NJ
    Best I've tried: For digital, the Dr. Scientist Radical Red Reverbarator. Excellent tone, adjustability, though it has no spring setting. For analog, the VanAmps Sole Mate. The Sole Mate fills in quite well when I don't want to drag out the outboard reverb unit. It's in that zone tonally, has a great sound live.

7. Ed P

Ed P Friend of Leo's

Nov 9, 2006
    California
    I've had a Holy Grail since they first came out and been very happy. Of course, the controls are VERY simple and makes a fumble-fingers like me feel comfortable.

8. PhatTele

PhatTele Tele-Holic

Jun 3, 2003
    Richmond, VA
    I use the new Holy Grail Plus reverb. I find these Holy Grails (old ones and new ones) really nail the spring reverb tone you find in BF/SF Fender combos. It doesn't do gonzo surf stuff, but it does give you a nice warm 60s reverb. I use it in front of a Tremolux, Bassman, Bandmaster, and some tweed amps.

Note: The Holy Grail Plus I have did have some high pitch oscillations when I first had it hooked up to my common Power Block. However, it became quiet as a mouse when I started using the stock wall wart. Also, I still use my older Holy Grail reverbs during gigs. You can't hear that low level hiss in a live situation.

9. ruger9

ruger9 Poster Extraordinaire

Dec 31, 2004
    Hackettstown, NJ
    EXACTLY. You have to use the EHX wall wart or at least a Pedal Power 2+, which has the power & isolation to run the Holy Grail+ noise-free. My DC Brick also made it whine.

I had a Marshall reflector for about 9 months, but I got the HG+ about 2 months ago, and I like the HG+ alot better. Sold the Reflector.

10. Ed P

Ed P Friend of Leo's

Nov 9, 2006
    California
    I must be really lucky, because I've used my Holy Grail many times and have never heard any hiss.

I'm not saying other people hear things that aren't there; what I'm saying is that I'm so fortunate to get a really good one. Of course I was at the music store almost every day waiting for one like a little puppy dog begging for it's Snausages. And to think I almost sold it at one point!

11. Fret Wilkes

Fret Wilkes Friend of Leo's Platinum Supporter

Mar 23, 2003
    Harmony, R.I.
    You are spot on sir! I'm using one right now that I've had for about 5-6 years. I'm using a delay/reverb combo that sounds fantastic...even...yes...HUGE!

I also love the EH Holy Grail, but right now the RV-3 is my choice.

12. winny pooh

winny pooh Friend of Leo's

Jan 24, 2006
    South London
    The reflector is great for its spring emulation. the RV-3 is great for Floyd and Radiohead style delays, very clean and digital, also good for acoustic guitars if you ara a soloist.

13. flapjack

flapjack Tele-Meister

Aug 31, 2005
    I had two Holy Grails and...

both hissed like crazy while using the recommended power supply. Many others have reported noise problems with the Holy Grail while using the power supply as well.

14. backalleyblues

backalleyblues Friend of Leo's

The best thing about the RV-3 is, if you look hard enough, you can find them dirt cheap-I paid 30 clams for mine, and it's in really nice shape. Being a Boss pedal of course means you can't kill it either...

What settings does everyone use? Mine is level 9 o'clock, repeats set to 3, delay time to 11 o'clock, and mode to #7 (plate reverb & delay). Think of it as 21st century surf sound :D

Franc Robert
    Back Alley Blues Band

15. Darrell

Darrell Friend of Leo's

Mar 17, 2003
    Houston, Texas
    Try some of the settings in the manuall

Dead Room - 12 oclock, 9, 9, 8
    Marble Room - 12, 3, 9, 8
    etc.

The thing gets wicked from there..finely textured reverb...guitar sole. etc.

16. ramseybella

ramseybella Tele-Afflicted

Feb 12, 2006
    Santa Fe New Mexico

17. GoldieLocks

GoldieLocks Tele-Afflicted

Sep 25, 2005
    Abbotsford B.C.
    reverb pedal.

I'm still pretty happy with my Marshall Reflector (the tone adjustment dial makes a huge difference).

I got a Boss Rev-3. I found it very tinny & digital sounding. I could never find a setting that I was happy with. It really needs a tone adjustment dial.

My friend's got a Verbzilla from line-6. one of the best sounding reverb pedals I've heard so far (next to a Lexicon). But the Verbzilla is too big & heavy for my pedalboard and requires a different power supply I believe.

18. Jeffscreamedcorn

Jeffscreamedcorn Tele-Holic

Dec 1, 2006
    beantown
    I've heard great things about the T-Rex Roommate.

19. backalleyblues

backalleyblues Friend of Leo's

20. T.NT

T.NT NEW MEMBER!

May 14, 2010
    Antwerp
    Reverbs

Tried lots of 'em. (most common commercial ones and a few boutique ones)
    Currently have a EH Holy grail plus. Found it not to expensive for a stomp box reverb.
    If a money issue is not a problem, try the t-rex room mate or the van amps sole mate.
    Personally think the Van Amps is the coolest thing you can get, but i liked the old t-rex with it's high cut too.
    imho a reverb-stomp box will only sound right when playing without overdriving your amp.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.