Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com

Best reverb pedal?

Discussion in 'The Stomp Box' started by robotguitar, Oct 5, 2013.

1. fendrguitplayr

fendrguitplayr Poster Extraordinaire

Oct 11, 2006
    Greater Boston
    I also like the Boss FRV-1 - maybe not the best, but it does the job well.

2. studio1087

studio1087 Telefied Ad Free Member

May 10, 2003
    Near Milwaukee
    +1 - great reverb and it sounds good clean and it sounds equally good with gain. You can dial a great clean setting on many Reverb pedals and they will sound electronic and horrible if you add gain.

My favorite is getting hard to buy. My favorite is the Hermida. 1 knob (like amp reverb), sounds natural, sounds equally good clean or dirty. Alfonzo is no longer offering them. Too bad.

I still have a T-Rex Tonebug which is pretty good. I had the Boss FRV-1 and it was great as long as I stayed away from gain. With tube gain the FRV-1 sounds like a solid state bedroom amp with digital reverb. It's weird.

The BiYang TriReverb is a very nice pedal and you can find them new for under $60.

3. Fred Rogers

Fred Rogers Tele-Afflicted

Jun 8, 2013
    Long Island
    +1

4. FMA

FMA Poster Extraordinaire

Apr 29, 2003
    I use a Princeton non-reverb for smaller gigs and my favorite reverb is Tech 21's Boost RVB. It's analog and can do the spring thing very well. And a little bit of boost gives the front end of the Princeton a nice little kick in the hindquarters.

5. teleworship21

teleworship21 Tele-Meister

Oct 11, 2013
    Ohio
    I just picked up the T-Rex WhirlyVerb on clearance at GC for $50 (normally $150 and am extremely happy with it!

6. foundjoe

foundjoe Tele-Holic

Apr 28, 2013
    Kansas
    Just curious if anyone knows how the Boost RVB produces the reverb effect. It's "analog," but IIUC there's no actual spring tank in it, so does it use some sort of tape or analog recording device since it's not digital??

7. jamester

jamester Tele-Holic

Aug 1, 2009
    Baltimore, MD
    It isn't analog reverb, it's an "analog reverb emulator". The only things it boasts as truly analog in the specs are the control pots.

http://tech21nyc.com/products/effects/boostrvbtrails_v2.html

8. SirJackdeFuzz

SirJackdeFuzz Friend of Leo's

Jan 18, 2007
    South Africa
    I am a BIG fan of the EHX Holy Grail & Boss RE-20. <--- very underrated unit !

9. FMA

FMA Poster Extraordinaire

Apr 29, 2003
    I have an RE-20 and its reverb is pretty cool. But it's kind of an acquired taste. By that, I mean, it's doesn't cop the Fender spring deal. Still, it is pretty cool.

10. foundjoe

foundjoe Tele-Holic

Apr 28, 2013
    Kansas
    Wow, that's some pretty tricky marketing. They should hyphenate that to be "analog-reverb emulator" to make it a little clearer that it's not a true analog pedal. They even push the deception further by saying, "The Boost RVB is designed with user-tweakable, “lo-fi” analog technology" and "100% analog Mix, Feedback, Tone and Level controls for warm, organic sounds." The "controls" might be analog because you aren't looking at an LED display to see what your levels are, but they don't explain how the reverb emulation is actually produced, which would probably be a Belton brick?

11. kp8

kp8 Friend of Leo's

Aug 22, 2004
    Seoul, Korea
    Best plate and spring (all i use) in regular size guitar pedal that I have heard is the Hardwire Supernatural.

[​IMG]

12. andrewbailey

andrewbailey TDPRI Member

May 22, 2013
    Dallas
    The modulated option on boss rv-5 pedal is heaven. I've never liked boss before but this is an exception! Another great option would be the hardware supernatural verb. The strymonengineering blue sky is what most people would call the best reverb pedal. There is a Moore shimmer verb that sounds just like the bluesky and is only $90 it has a great shimmer feature.

13. telegibson

telegibson Tele-Meister

Oct 14, 2010
    Italy
    As I already said I use T.C. Hall of Fame, which is great,
    but the Neunaber seems really great as well, judging from this clip.

14. ac15

ac15 Poster Extraordinaire Ad Free Member

May 9, 2005
    CHICAGO, IL.
    The Wet pedal is fantastic. I love mine, but for someone who needs a spring reverb sound, it probably isn't what they're looking for. It does its own thing and does it well.

15. teleprompted

teleprompted Tele-Meister

Aug 20, 2012
    toronto
    You mean you don't use shimmer??!! :shocked:

16. TheSmokingMan

TheSmokingMan Banned

Jan 7, 2011
    Belle Plaine, KS
    The shimverb definitely doesn't sound like the blue sky. For whatever reason they went with a fifth instead of an octave for the shimmer which makes a limited-use effect even more limited.

17. teleprompted

teleprompted Tele-Meister

Aug 20, 2012
    toronto
    I got the supernatural recently and it's fantastic. But I wouldn't really use it for spring. It does a decent job at it but I prefer the holy grail plus that I got a couple years back. It just sounds more natural while the hardwire is, dare I say, supernatural. Haha. What a terrible joke! Ill stop now. Thanks

18. artdecade

artdecade Poster Extraordinaire

Dec 6, 2010
    Twangsylvania
    [​IMG]

:lol:

19. NiceTele

NiceTele Tele-Holic

Dec 20, 2012
    Australia
    Gotta say my Zoom MS-50G Multistomp has some very useful reverbs in it, and you're not stuck with just one variation.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.