Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups darrenriley.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com

Best Restaurant in World?

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by scrapyardblue, Dec 4, 2018.

1. scrapyardblue

scrapyardblue Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

Feb 6, 2007
    central illinois
    Au Crocodile in France, according to Trip Advisor. My arse, where's the brisket and potato salad?

6838426-6446521-image-a-64_1543586502779.jpg

Random1643, rdwhitti, ftbtx and 5 others like this.
  2. Paul Jenkin

Paul Jenkin Friend of Leo's

Aug 17, 2017
    Essex, UK
    This is an impossibility. They'll try to provide some objective guidelines but food and drink are highly subjective. I've been lucky enough to travel reasonably extensively and try a lot of different food. The best steak I've ever had was in Goa, in 2005 (yes, it left that strong an impression on me). The best fish I've ever eaten was in a pub in Tyne & Wear (a county in the NE of England). I'm sure we've all got takes of memorable eateries.

I'm always sceptical of any claim that something is "the best in the world".

3. brookdalebill

brookdalebill Telefied Ad Free Member

Nov 15, 2009
    Austin, Tx
    That's impossible, I'm having breakfast at the best restaurant in the world now, Chepo's in San Marcos, Tx. as we speak.

4. beninma

beninma Tele-Afflicted Silver Supporter

Mar 17, 2017
    Massachusetts
    No matter which restaurant it is I doubt it is good enough to justify the prices.

5. Manual Slim

Manual Slim Tele-Holic

Mar 21, 2017
    Baltimore
    If they’re still in business I’d think that plenty of people can justify paying to eat there.

6. Mike SS

Mike SS Poster Extraordinaire

Aug 9, 2012
    Nebraska
    "Luigi's", in Jacksonville, NC. Owned, and operated by a former Marine from an old school Italian family. Baked his own bread, made his pasta, and all his sauces from scratch. The "Scallops Alfredo" was to die for. Huge portions, at great prices.

7. haggardfan1

haggardfan1 Friend of Leo's

Mar 17, 2014
    Texas and Louisiana
  8. imwjl

imwjl Poster Extraordinaire

Mar 21, 2007
    My mom's basement.
    Usually my mother in law or wife's kitchens for best in the world. My mother in law came here as a Chef from France via food work in other places and her skills are truly amazing. We've travelled to some of the truly top rated restaurants and few equal what lucky me has all the time.

She (my mother in law) is also a gifted potter, seamstress, and gardener so it's been almost 30 years of near constant pleasure taking in all she can do with food, colors, textures and growing. She's brought seeds back from some trips so even grows some citrus and plants indoors or at home to replicate what you don't find in stores.

My wife is more fat-phobic in her cooking but has worn out several heavy duty mixers over 29 years and does more baking than her mom.

I'm looking forward to another one of our trips where we rent a house somewhere else in the world and spend 1-2 weeks of searching out food, cooking and eating.

Basically I'm spoiled beyond description when it comes to food. Though a technology pro, many years of my work have been in or around the business of food making and food selling. Outside of these family connections I know food makers, chefs, distributors, farmers, brewers, wine importers and coffee roasters for a sum-total of being a really lucky guy.

9. D_W_PGH

D_W_PGH Tele-Afflicted

Aug 28, 2018
    Pittsburgh
    I have eaten some expensive dinners, but have to admit that somewhere around $15 is the sweet spot for a good burger and well made fries that are crispy on the outside and smooth on the inside (made by a chef and spiced up a little) and it's awfully hard for me go to any restaurants like the one mentioned above and feel like it's not just a contest to say you did.

The last place my spouse and I went for her friends' 40th b/d was $200 for the two of us, and we didn't order a lot extra - just appetizer, entree with alacarte side, and dessert with two drinks. I had skate (which just tasted like fried catfish), can't even remember the entree and a decent desert. When we asked about portion size, the waiter said "chef justin has thoughtfully kept portion size at a level that will allow you to comfortably have an appetizer, entree and still have plenty of room for dessert".

What.An.Achievement.Chef.Justin.

The other people-with-too-much-dopamine were going gaga over their $40 pot pie entrees, and asked how the skate was. I said "A truthful assessment would be fried catfish in a fish and fries joint in the south - i can taste the peanut oil and the skate is very similar to catfish...maybe not quite as good as that, though". my wife slapped me for saying that. (peanut oil isn't a common frying oil up here)

I'll go for a burger next time. My wallet will still be full and so will my stomach. "Chef Justin" left my stomach and wallet empty.

(I can't say I don't enjoy Ruth's Chris when someone else is paying, though. I don't have to guess why the food is good there, or ask someone what I'm supposed to be tasting).

LutherBurger and scrapyardblue like this.
  10. nojazzhere

nojazzhere Friend of Leo's

Feb 3, 2017
    Foat Wuth, Texas
    Restaurant at the End of the Universe.....where you can "meet your meat".

rdwhitti and scrapyardblue like this.
  11. Matt Sarad

Matt Sarad TDPRI Member

Apr 29, 2003
    La Flor Morena, gone for many years, was the best Mexican restaurant in Bakersfield for its 8 year life. It was decorated in a classic Mexican style with raffia chairs painted bright colors. The owners had commissioned a Mexican painter to create the history of Mexico in a half dozen canvases. The juke box was filled with great music: Carlos y Jose, Los Bukis, Los Tigers Del Norte, Vicente Fernandez.

La Flor gave me my first taste of mole, tacos al pastor, stacked enchiladas, carne asada, chilequiles, and a fine Christmas beer named Noche Buena.

I learned about Mexican food, music, and the closeness of families: Valentín, Flor, Freddie, and the two daughters.

We knew when Val and Flor were fighting: the food was always spicier and hotter.

Last edited: Dec 4, 2018
    slauson slim and gwjensen like this.
  12. Johnkir64

Johnkir64 TDPRI Member Silver Supporter

Oct 23, 2018
    Northwest Arkansas
    If that passes for a meal in France. No wonder the people are cranky and setting stuff on fire!

rdwhitti, kuvash, mangus and 3 others like this.
  13. DrPepper

DrPepper Tele-Holic

Nov 24, 2017
    Texas
    The Taco House in Littleton, CO.

Paul in Colorado likes this.
  14. SixStringSlinger

SixStringSlinger Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

May 21, 2006
    Space
    Shiver's BBQ
    Casita Tejas
    La Quebradita

All in Homestead, FL.

15. TwangyWhammy

TwangyWhammy Friend of Leo's

Jan 10, 2014
    South Hemi GMT+12
    Whether it comes from a kitchen of belligerent chefs, or a cheap cardboard box from a supermarket...

I never trust any kind of food that pretends to be artwork.

rdwhitti, PCollen, nojazzhere and 3 others like this.
  16. teletimetx

teletimetx Poster Extraordinaire

Jul 25, 2011
    Houston, TX
    I hear crocodile tastes like chicken; which makes me think of biscuits at Popeye's...

scrapyardblue likes this.
  17. gwjensen

gwjensen Friend of Leo's

Yeah, that don't cut it for me... Best restaurant is Delia's, 2 miles from me... Italian, Greek, BIG plates...

18. TwangyWhammy

TwangyWhammy Friend of Leo's

Jan 10, 2014
    South Hemi GMT+12
    Anything that tastes like chicken makes me think of "tasty wheat."

ChickenTele likes this.
  19. d barham

d barham Tele-Meister

Aug 10, 2018
    Halfway, MO
    Route 32 Cafe. Halfway, MO. Please pardon the shameless self promotion.

Nickadermis and stevemc like this.
  20. PCollen

PCollen Tele-Afflicted

May 7, 2010
    Man of the World

Arthur Bryant's BBQ, Kansas City, Mo. Alternatively, North Main BBQ, Euless, TX.

Last edited: Dec 4, 2018
    Nickadermis and MisterZ like this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.