Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com

Best quality cheapest strat type guitar

Discussion in 'Other Guitars, other instruments' started by toolshed, Oct 12, 2017.

1. toolshed

toolshed TDPRI Member

Jun 11, 2014
    tennessee
    I'm looking to get a strat type of guitar but only want to spend 300 max. I'm good with getting used as that's where I usually find my best deals. Who makes the best quality strat on that price range?

2. uriah1

uriah1 Doctor of Teleocity Silver Supporter

Feb 12, 2011
    Around
    Hmm..not sure of new production, but the old charvel Strats feel nice.

3. Asmith

Asmith Friend of Leo's Ad Free Member

Nov 27, 2014
    Morley, England
    you could get a used MIM standard or a classic vibe in that price range I would think. They're both great, if I got the squier I would upgrade the pots and switch but if I got the MIM I'd be tempted to swap out the pickups. I'd try both again before making a decision on what I'd get and it would probably come down to how much I like the neck/body contours.

jaybones and PearlJamNoCode like this.

4. davenumber2

davenumber2 Friend of Leo's

Sep 28, 2010
    Columbia, MO
    The Hadean from Rondo music that I got a couple years ago was surprisingly nice quality and it was $92 shipped to my door.

6stringcowboy, brbadg and Peckhammer like this.

5. davenumber2

davenumber2 Friend of Leo's

Sep 28, 2010
    Columbia, MO

6. toolshed

toolshed TDPRI Member

Jun 11, 2014
    tennessee
    Does anyone know anything about the g&l legacy made in Indonesia
    Or
    Blue frog

Last edited: Oct 12, 2017

7. Mike SS

Mike SS Poster Extraordinaire

Aug 9, 2012
    Nebraska
    Ibanez makes a bunch of "Strat" style guitars, and there are choices in your price range. The quality is usually very good for entry level instruments. Squier's are decent, especially the vintage modified line, but expect some set up issues off the rack. Peavey also made some copies, and if you can find one of the "Made In USA" models you really have something. Look on the "Reverb.com" website. Used musical instruments of every type, make, style, and price range. Postings from private owners, pawn shops, retailers.....you name it. I have made a few purchases from it, with no problems.

Quinn23 likes this.

8. Dismalhead

Dismalhead Poster Extraordinaire

Feb 16, 2014
    Auburn, California
    Used Fender MIM or Squier Classic Vibe.

RodeoTex and DougM like this.

9. Hexabuzz

Hexabuzz Tele-Afflicted

Dec 13, 2014
    Northeast PA
    G&L Legacy Tribute Series. The quality of the Legacy series is top notch

8barlouie likes this.

10. Papa Joe

Papa Joe Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

Jun 30, 2007
    Swanton Ohio
    Tradition or Jay Turser have over all quality a little better than most budget priced guitars..Aria Pro 2 is one to consider..

11. Catawompus

Catawompus Tele-Meister

Nov 29, 2014
    Switzerland
    +1

12. fendrguitplayr

fendrguitplayr Poster Extraordinaire

Oct 11, 2006
    Greater Boston
    Find a clean MIM Fender Strat - there's many around that price available.

RodeoTex likes this.

13. Strebs

Strebs Tele-Meister

Dec 24, 2015
    Birmingham, AL
    The Monoprice Indios look pretty awesome. For $200, they have a flamed maple top and a Wilkinson VS100 tremolo

14. RoscoeElegante

RoscoeElegante Tele-Afflicted

Feb 19, 2015
    TooFarFromCanada
    Can't speak to the Jay Turser line, but +1 on Tradition. Very high quality for the price.

Papa Joe likes this.

15. Asmith

Asmith Friend of Leo's Ad Free Member

Nov 27, 2014
    Morley, England
    No personal experience with G&L tributes but I've never heard someone complain about them, just good reviews about their fantastic build quality.

16. Papa Joe

Papa Joe Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

Jun 30, 2007
    Swanton Ohio
    Especially if you can get one with the Trem King vibrato..
    That Trem King is a huge improvement on the standard Fender design..
    I have one in a Tradition Tele..

17. jvin248

jvin248 Friend of Leo's

Apr 18, 2014
    Near Detroit, MI

If you're talking $50-$75 or even less then these are good options, expect that a fret level will make them play like 10x the price:

-Spectrum, I've paid $15 and $20, chunkier necks with more MIA carve, more comfortable to play than Squiers.
    -Washburn Lyon (Samick) - the one I have now has a chunky neck and body like MIA, and ceramic pickups sound more classic MIA than many guitars; I paid $35. I have flipped older ones that were more similar to a Squier (thin neck and body) that stood right in there too. Samick makes around 80% of all import guitars for the other brands.
    -Starcaster by Fender (China full thickness body ones, often chunkier necks. The Indonesian 'arrow' headstocks are better manufacturing quality but are designed thin like the Squiers).
    -First Act (derided because walmart sold them cheap, but built with CNC machines. A setup and sometimes a little work they actually play and sound good). If I can pick one up for $25 or less it is difficult to resist, like my $10 riff FA.

If you're looking for over $200-$300 range then MIM Fender
    They'll have only humbuckers but around $300 you can also find some PRS SEs (if you lower the neck pickup and raise the screw poles high with a Strat stagger they can do single coil clean).

RoscoeElegante likes this.

18. IronSchef

IronSchef Tele-Holic Platinum Supporter

This ^^^

You should be able to find a used MIM or Classic Vibe Strat for $300 - both really nice.

19. ftbtx

ftbtx Tele-Holic Silver Supporter

I got a Pignose Strat from Goodwill for $14.00 and it is pretty darn nice.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.