Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups darrenriley.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com

Best Plexi/Marshall in a box pedal???

Discussion in 'The Stomp Box' started by cntry666, Jun 11, 2018.

1. whoanelly15

whoanelly15 Tele-Meister

Aug 30, 2017
    USA

I picked up a used Tone City Golden Plexi cheap (one of the things I like most about it). I actually use it as a cleanish boost, but it does loads of stuff. Worth looking into, especially with the price of some of the others out there.

2. hongaku

hongaku Tele-Afflicted

Dec 14, 2011
    Oakton, VA, USA
    Ramble FX Marvel Drive

SweetClyde99 and sanfi4u like this.

3. blowtorch

blowtorch Telefied Ad Free Member

May 2, 2003
    Wisco
    Marshall Jackhammer JH-1

wildschwein and jvin248 like this.

4. highwaycat

highwaycat Tele-Meister

Jun 15, 2017
    California
    I don't chase after realism but just what I like but I really like the Cmatmods Brownie pedal run at 18 volts, awesome.
    I once had a lovepedal superlead, for a short period of time, did an open jam with it and got a lot of compliments. not sure if it was the peal though. But sounded great really loud. Noisy, but I'd like to try it again since I rock noiseless pups which are handy with distortion pedals. I got a Suhr Riot several months ago and I didn't really like it so I just sold it, never bonded with it.
    The Friedman pedal sounds really good on youtube, I wanna try it.

5. jvin248

jvin248 Poster Extraordinaire

Apr 18, 2014
    Near Detroit, MI

MI Audio Crunchbox is the closest I have. From the post above I should check out that Joyo British pedal (I have the American one and like it).

6. tele_pathic

tele_pathic Friend of Leo's

Aug 18, 2009
    St. George, UT
    ZVEX Distortron, Box of Rock, or Double Rock.

7. Straydogger

Straydogger Tele-Meister

Mar 26, 2017
    Western Pa.
    Pete makes everything sound good but this convinced me to get one. Great pedal....

SolidSteak and sanfi4u like this.

8. Obsessed

Obsessed Doctor of Teleocity Silver Supporter

Nov 21, 2012
    Montana
    +2 Yup, it all depends on what gear you are running through. My Lovepedal JTM nails the JTM45, but I'm running it through a clean Fender amp.

9. eclecticsynergy

eclecticsynergy Tele-Meister

Nov 16, 2014
    Albany NY
    +1 on the Marvel Drive- it not only sounds plexi, it actually feels like a Marshall. Does only the one thing, but it does that uncannily well.

Also have a Box Of Rock which is more flexible tonewise and has boost too, though it doesn't quite nail the Marshall mids and feel like the Marvel Drive does.

Purple Plexi is darn good too; I have that circuit in the Vintage/Modern and it's very useful.

Jubilee is very good for JCM800 type voicing. Still, there are many pedals which can do that type of tone well.

10. E5RSY

E5RSY Poster Extraordinaire

Mar 5, 2009
    Georgetown, TX
    I've been wanting a Keeley 1962x:

Ash Telecaster likes this.

11. wildschwein

wildschwein Tele-Afflicted

The Guv'nor II is pretty nice as well.

blowtorch likes this.

12. DaveKS

DaveKS Friend of Leo's

Oct 21, 2013
    KS
    It really is a under the radar bargain, nails Kossoff and thin lizzy tones.

13. J-Flanders

J-Flanders TDPRI Member

Aug 4, 2016
    Flanders
    Yep, sounds great.
    As far as the circuit goes, this is as simple as it gets for an opamp based pedal.
    It's pretty much an EHX Muff Fuzz (older opamp version) with some tweaked component values:

Hao Rust Driver:

[​IMG]

EHX Muff Fuzz:
    Every! online schematic of this pedal is wrong, probably all traced from pedals that were missing components in the feedbackback loop of the 2nd opamp and then copied from each other, so I can't post the correct schematic...
    [​IMG]

What is worth noting:
    This pedal, just like the Muff fuzz has a very low input impedance: 100k instead of the usual 1M.
    So, this pedal needs to be first in the signal chain, it needs to see passive guitar pickups to sound right. The guitar volume pot becomes part of the circuit, setting the gain...
    Otherwise, just like with the Muff Fuzz or Double Muff you'll see people complaining about the pedal being way too bright and harsh sounding.

Anyway, it's surprising that tweaking some component values turns the Muff Fuzz into a Plexi sounding pedal.
    What's great about it is that it will have incredible clean up with the guitar volume (similar to a fuzz face) which most Marshally sounding pedals lack.

Last edited: Jun 14, 2018

14. fenderchamp

fenderchamp Tele-Holic

Jun 17, 2008
    omaha
    I have a rust driver too. It's a great pedal!

15. Funkysmell

Funkysmell TDPRI Member

Oct 14, 2013
    Phoenixville, PA
    I have a Rowin Plexion pedal. It probably costs nothing compared to most of the names being thrown around in this thread but I think it sounds absolutely fantastic. I've run it through amps, right into pa systems, tape machines, and daws. Never steered me wrong, and paired with a phaser it really give you a great lead tone. A somewhat convincing evh sound if you set it up right.

16. luckett

luckett Friend of Leo's

Jun 14, 2011
    I wouldn't assume they're wrong just because you found one that's different. EHX made lots of variations of their pedals from junk they had left in their parts bins during that era.

17. telemnemonics

telemnemonics Doctor of Teleocity

Mar 2, 2010
    Maine
    I may be a bit of a Marshall snob, but I consider these questions that keep repeating themselves as sort of like asking what's the best tractor in a box pedal.
    OK so first, what car do you want to make into a tractor?
    Second, what aspects of a tractor do you hope to get from your car?
    And third, do you or have you owned a tractor?

I suspect that actual "Plexi Marshall" sound is largely forgotten and has been replaced by something like a Guns & Roses sound or whatever a player remembers as a favorite artist who uses Marshalls sounds like.

Duane and Jimi both at times used the exact same model Marshall, yet those were two quite different Plexi Marshall sounds.
    Because those amps distortion was a combination of phase inverter, power tube and to some degree speaker distortion, the amp doesn't have "a sound" as much as circuit that interacts with pickups and player input.
    In a way, there are more different Plexi sounds than all the rest of the decades of Marshall sounds, because after Marshall started making distortion in the preamp, the sounds became more homogeneous by nature of the fact that they designed one preamp stage to overload the next, and largely eliminated the challenges of getting an amp to distort by turning it up through speakers that could barely handle the power, and hitting it hard with the input, based on how the player hit the strings along with the particular pickups output.
    Dimarzio made their better mousetrap with the Super Distortion pickup, which was designed to promote distortion in amps that were designed to stay clean, but largely failed in that designed goal.
    The Plexi tone of '66 and '67 was all about a power section with not enough filtering to produce clean transients, interacting with speakers that were about to blow.
    By '68 there was enough filtering and the Plexi could produce the brutal transients that the prior amps could not, but the speakers still fell apart and essentially made the amp distort, though there was certainly still full volume clipping distortion including the distortion el34s, or in the US, distorting 6550 power tubes, which was arguably a whole nother sound, one that we no longer remember as "The Marshall sound", even though that was the early Metal guitar sound in many recordings, harder and stiffer.

To my ear most Plexi SS preamp distortion pedals create some version of a JCM800 sound, which the users clean guitar amp reproduces louder.

One of the central features of Plexi "distortion" was more about the clean preamp driving the fairly clean power amp, but the power section not having enough filtering for the transients, so we got sag and bloom with little grit or fizz.

MIAB pedals are by nature producers of grit and/ or fizz.

The last Plexi circuit of '68 had more grit and grind, but was the same basic circuit as the subsequent metal panel Marshalls into the '70s, which is not "the Plexi sound".
    Even the Marshall SLP reissue amp is basically a metal panel circuit but with plexiglass panels thrown on to make it into a "Plexi".

Tony Iommi had a metal panel sound, where later on EVH appeared with an actual Plexi sound from his '67 Plexi 100. Later he used other amps, but he always sounded like EVH. Many may consider the EVH sound to be a Plexi sound.
    Worth paying attention to is the speakers that EVH preferred for his "Marshall sound" even after he moved on from his Plexi Marshall. These were used by Marshall in the EVH cabs and feature the stripey magnet stickers that nobody really wants. But they are UK made G12M20 speakers, which came before the common G12M25. The G12M20 is all mids and very thick sounding, even without much distortion. A major factor in that sound, which varied between clean and distorted depending on pick attack
    Angus also continued to use a '66 Plexi 100 for years into the metal panel era, not satisfied with the metal panel Marshall sound.
    Those '66 Plexi 100s were built on a fairly thin aluminum chassis with huge transformers, and the chassis gradually collapsed under the transformers weight, cracking and breaking. Most got used up if heavily toured, becoming museum pieces.

To a large degree it's hard to separate a players sound from an amps sound.

Last edited: Jun 14, 2018

18. This^^^^^^

19. brokenbones

brokenbones Tele-Meister

Mar 15, 2012
    Indy
    I went through this search 2-3 years ago. The best Marshall Plexi in a sub-$200 (used) box that I came across was the Carl Martin PlexiTone.

20. Danjabellza

Danjabellza Tele-Afflicted

Sep 22, 2014
    Pahrump, nv
    I’m a big fan of the pinnacle deluxe. Very useable pedal. Way more than just the brown sound.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.