Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com Reiland Pickups
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com Reilander Pickups
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com Reilander Pickups
Join TDPRI Today

best pick ups for my tele deluxe

Discussion in 'Just Pickups' started by playforfun, Mar 14, 2013.

1. playforfun

playforfun Tele-Holic

Feb 25, 2013
    Luna Louisiana
    I have a 72 mim tele deluxe. It has the stock wide range humbuckers
    in it an they are a little scratchy. I would like a clean clear warm sound
    Any advice on what kind of pick ups I should have installed would be
    greatly appreciated.

2. vintage clubber

vintage clubber Friend of Leo's

Apr 12, 2012
    Mechanicsville, VA
  3. blimpo

blimpo Tele-Meister

Mar 29, 2009
    southern indiana
    I had the Mod1 done by Telenator. I'm having push/pull coils put in to add to the versatility.
    I'll let you know how they sound when it is done, but I went with Telenator because he posts here often and others swear by the results of his mods.

Mod1 is not all that expensive and if it is as good as some on here say, it is well worth the effort to have them modded by him.

4. Forum Sponsor Sponsored posting

5. playforfun

playforfun Tele-Holic

Feb 25, 2013
    Luna Louisiana
    Thanks for the info I briefly looked over his site and am very
    interested will look into it more. I joined this site for this type
    of info from people who know so prob will go with it. How long
    does it usually take

6. superfuzz03

superfuzz03 Tele-Meister

Oct 9, 2012
    Annandale, MN
    +1 on the Telenator mod. Had him do the neck pickup on my 72 Custom RI, what a difference. As far as turn around time, looks like 2 weeks including shipping- I sent mine in 11/8 and got an email on 11/19 that it was done and on its way back.

7. blimpo

blimpo Tele-Meister

Mar 29, 2009
    southern indiana
    Most of the time was in shipping. I believe he told me turnaround time was a couple of days.
    It took about 5 days for mine to reach him via UPS and probably the same time to get back, about 12 days. I planned it for a time where we didn't have gigs. They are being installed now.
    Not bad considering they had to go half way across the country to get to him.

8. Chautauqua

Chautauqua Tele-Holic

Jan 3, 2012
    Portland Oregon
    Send them to Telenator...

If you haven't done the 500K pot mods, do those first, then if you feel like it do some extra shielding in the cavities... I was fortunate enough to find a Luthier/builder/pickup-maker locally who'd passed and bought his stash of CuNiFe rod-stock which I had made into pole-pieces like Telenator does... WOW has it transformed the guitar... I have an original 73 Deluxe along with my 72 RI and the modded pups sound VERY similar to the vintage units but they're higher output so when run wide open they have even more gain/growl.

If you've got the coin, Lollar, Novax, creamery and a few others make some EXCELLENT replacement WRHB's for your guitar (Lollars are my favorite from the limited clips I've heard). ANY of their pups would be an upgrade frm Stock, BUT to my ears, I find the modded RI pups to be equally great.

Happy hunting, hope you find the solution to what you;re looking for.

Cheers

Dave

9. playforfun

playforfun Tele-Holic

Feb 25, 2013
    Luna Louisiana
    Thanks again I may give the local tech another shot before I send the pick ups away. He has done
    impossible things to other guitars of mine including bringing one back after a fire. I like options
    an now I have some telenator sounds like he knows his stuff.

10. musicmatty

musicmatty Former Member

Aug 18, 2008
    Maryland
    Sounds like something may be defective? I have played that guitar, and the stock pickups were very warm and clear. 'Scratchy' sounds defective. What are you using for an amp?

Playing thru a Deville 212 in this video..sounds good to me.

Last edited: Mar 16, 2013
  11. AJBaker

AJBaker Friend of Leo's

Oct 3, 2010
    Switzerland
    Telenator can rebuild them for you, and guys like Lollar, Novak make replacements. The Creamery I think also rebuilds them, and has a pretty wide selection of replacements.

12. Telenator

Telenator Doctor of Teleocity Vendor Member

Sep 19, 2005
    Connecticut
    Thanks for the vote of confidence guys!

If you're considering our MOD1, leave the 250K pots in the guitar. MOD1 sounds best with the 250K's. Just drop the modded pickups in there and start rockin' it!

13. playforfun

playforfun Tele-Holic

Feb 25, 2013
    Luna Louisiana
    I play through a twin mostly but also a peavey classic 410 and a 212 Deville. Had a tech
    Go through the guitar an change the ground wire with a shielded wire also cleaned the
    pots an shielded the pick guard. I like the sound I'm getting just not the noise an you are
    probably right I'll get the tech to look again maybe at my studio. His shop is not grounded
    Properly an don't think we were chasing the same noise. Thanks for your time I'm not
    gonna give up on this tele

14. Telenator

Sep 19, 2005
    Connecticut
    The funny thing most people notice about the stock re-issue WRHBs is that they really sound OK when you play them alone. But put that same guitar in the context of a band and most people will agree that the pickups just fall flat.

Context is everything!

15. musicmatty

musicmatty Former Member

Aug 18, 2008
    Maryland
    If that's the case, then what about all the poor souls playin Gibson's with P-90s :eek::lol: I agree with 'Context', but to say 'Most people', is a bit of a stretch for me ;) Taste in sound is purely subjective to each and every player..hence why so many players swear by their choice/brand of pickups :cool:

As I stated earlier, I played that guitar, and found the pickups to be excellent..didn't care much for the Doctor Z amp that I was playin thru..but the pups did sound good...just giving my experience :)

16. Telenator

Sep 19, 2005
    Connecticut
    You're right. I should have said, "most people I have encountered will agree that the pickups just fall flat." There are a lot of people out there who I have not spoken with who enjoy their pickups just the way they are!:D

17. fezz parka

fezz parka ---------------------------

I agree with Bob. They sound fine when dinkin' around solo. In a band context, they're there, but ordinary sounding, like a generic bar mag bucker.

FWIW, the original CuNiFe pickups were all over the place too. But when you got a good one, you could hear the difference, dinkin' or jammin'.:D

18. Telenator

Sep 19, 2005
    Connecticut
    This is so true.
    In our research we found at least 3 common versions of the original WRHB and took what we felt, (totally subjective), was the very best.

19. musicmatty

musicmatty Former Member

Aug 18, 2008
    Maryland

I must say, I did like your Mod 1 audio clips of these pickups :eek: Let me ask you, your mod of these stock pups, is taking them from a P-90 type to a likeness of a Jazzmaster pickup :?: No question, that your conversion of the stock pups, is making them more articulate and somewhat brighter by doing away with the bar mag at the bottom.

20. Telenator

Sep 19, 2005
    Connecticut
    Matty, they're actually a typical humbucker under the hood.

[​IMG]

We completely disassemble the pickup. Take out the bar magnet and the steel pole screws and replace them with our custom length alnico II plain rod magnets. Then we make a new spacer to take up the gap under the coils left by the bar magnet, re-assemble the pckup, and wax pot it to prevent squeal.

There is nothing P90 about it. I love P90s by the way!

21. musicmatty

musicmatty Former Member

Aug 18, 2008
    Maryland

Thanks for your follow up ;) If I ever go with a Deluxe model, I will let you know that I will be coming your way for the Mod 1 ride :cool:

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.