Best pick ups for blues?

Discussion in 'Just Pickups' started by ace5324, May 3, 2011.

1. wrathfuldeity

wrathfuldeity Tele-Afflicted

this...its easier to turn up the heat, than to get a hot one to warm-up.

2. Teleterr

Teleterr Friend of Leo's

Yes, lots of p/ups sound bluesy, but I do think hot p/ups do not.I love Duncan Hot For Tele and 1/4 Pounders , but I can't play blues w them.A cooler p/up of any kind works better.An exception might be a SH-14.It is fairly hot and very bluesey.

3. bluesoverlord

bluesoverlord TDPRI Member

Agreed. But it also depends on what type of blues. If you want a super clean 2/4 position Robert Cray sound you would go for a pup with clarity and fewer winds, like a '54 Fender CS etc. (all other things being equal). Plenty of boutique winders out there that can nail that sound. But if you want a "just breaking up growl" of SRV's number 1, that's an entirely different animal and one that has prompted tone quests galore. As stated before, everything contributes to the sound....your fingers, amp, strings (gauge, composition), guitar construction and composition ALONG with the pups.

That being said, you are asking for recommendations...so, I'll put a plug in for Vintage Vibe P90's in strat size. I LOVE those pickups. Combine that with a Chromacaster switch from deaf Eddie and you have a chameleon of sound. :D

4. Tonemonkey

Tonemonkey Poster Extraordinaire

Mate

The OP (May 11) had a Raptor plus, the zombie re-animator (EMando) has a MiM, so its his Q now..............I think! ;)

5. jefrs

jefrs Doctor of Teleocity

Oh right ... :oops:

Well then it's the ones you get in the MIM Fender Standard Telecaster then, they do not need changing at all. :D

Sorted! :rolleyes:

6. BlueTele

BlueTele TDPRI Member

Hey man...I am several years late to this thread, but my response is "work on your playing skills." The answer to liking your tone is seldom one particular feature of your guitar (wood, fretboard wood, pickups, saddles, etc.). It is more about the flesh/density of your finger tips, the bone structure of your fingers, how the guitar resonates against your body. Think about it...back when all the Tele heroes played - and who we want to sound like - they played stock Telecasters with Fender stock pickups, usually through a tweed or blackface Fender amp, and without effects pedals like overdrive, etc. Just keep refining your technique and tone, and...play from the darkest, most painful corners of your soul. THAT is where blues tone comes from.

7. blowtorch

blowtorch Telefied Ad Free Member

Too bad we can't travel back in time and ask the OG blues guys what pickups they were using :p "Hey Robert Johnson, what pickups did you have in that Stella?"

notmyusualuserid likes this.
  8. rich815

rich815 Friend of Leo's

9. LtKojak

LtKojak Tele-Meister

It's nice seeing somebody exercising his Miranda Rights... ;)

10. blowtorch

blowtorch Telefied Ad Free Member

[​IMG]

11. Rockdog

Rockdog Tele-Afflicted

jr_kimbrough2.jpg
    Whenever I find myself asking what pickups (or gear in general), I listen to Junior Kimbrough. He just may cure your G.A.S. Junior didn't give a damn.

12. musicalmartin

musicalmartin Poster Extraordinaire

Blues is about feelings not pickups .You can play the blues on the hottest or coldest guitar .Only you can make the difference.

rjtwangs likes this.
  13. ndcaster

ndcaster Poster Extraordinaire Silver Supporter

whew, tough crowd on the ole OP

if we assume that he plays just fine, that he has a tube amp with headroom, that he doesn't want to use pedals, that low-wind pickups might not be giving him the sound he's craving ... well, sure, maybe hotter pickups are the answer

OP, going by your profile you appear to be living in an oil town in northern Alberta. I'm guessing there aren't many guitar stores up there where you can try things out

I'm not a strat guy, but here are some ideas

- rewire to put the two single coil pickups in series
    - put in a hotter humbucker, like a Seymour Duncan JB (16k)
    - replace the two single coils (6k's?) with hotter versions, like around 7k's
    - buy a boost or OD pedal
    - turn up

14. rjtwangs

rjtwangs Tele-Afflicted Silver Supporter

For the very best blues tone that YOU will ever get.....think about YOUR hands, that's where tone resides. I don't care how cheap that Peavy is, it's a hell of a lot better or at least equal to the guitars used by Hound Dog, Hubert S., Big Boy Cruddup and many others it's in YOUR hands.....ymmv simply one old man's opinion....

RJ

Rockdog likes this.
  15. bftfender

bftfender Friend of Leo's

all my Gibby's do the blues well, mostly a vol and tone knob twist and you are there..but the p90 LP is nice and raunchy in comparison

16. luckett

luckett Banned

I'd recommend a good set pf worship pickups.

Aaron1061 likes this.
  17. gkterry

gkterry Tele-Meister

If you think new pickups are in order look no further than Cavalier Pickups. There are tone flavors suited for almost everyone's palette.

El Tele Lobo likes this.
  18. BigDaddyLH

BigDaddyLH Telefied Ad Free Member

Wha?! Is this true for pedals as well? Has anyone told JHS?

19. voodooblues

voodooblues Friend of Leo's

I wonder if the OP is even active on these boards any more.

20. mthowlett

mthowlett Tele-Meister

When I want to play blues, it never crosses my mind about which pickup is suitable. I just play blues. Look at what the greats played - dozens of different guitars. SRV sounded like SRV whether he was playing a Strat or a ES335. Same goes for Muddy, Johnny Winter, Jimi. The best blues pickups are the ones with which you play your best blues!

El Tele Lobo likes this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.