Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com Reiland Pickups
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com Reilander Pickups
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com Reilander Pickups
Join TDPRI Today

Best Pedal names

Discussion in 'Burnt Fingers DIY Effects' started by viivian23, Mar 18, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. viivian23

viivian23 Tele-Meister

Mar 10, 2009
    Rockport, MA
    What are some of the best names you guys have seen or come up with for pedals?

2. 11 Gauge

11 Gauge Poster Extraordinaire

Mar 21, 2003
    Near BWI Int'l
    The truth be told, I think that many of them are lousy or reveal a real lack of creativity. Most of the names just have that corporate or marketing whiff to them, IMO. Even from the boutique builders. At the other end of the spectrum, there's stuff with names that are so vague or disconnected that I have no idea what the pedal is or does.

But I have a soft spot for the ones that are playful names, or even vulgar ones. I think that the Big Muff is at the top of my list. EH in general has some pretty good names.

I have a great name for a compressor, should I ever offer one. While it's on the back burner, the name will have to stay there as well.

I feel that a lot of pedal builders and companies really dumb down their marketing stuff assuming that the average guitarist won't "get it."

3. OrovilleTim

OrovilleTim Tele-Holic

Apr 1, 2005
    Lake Oroville, CA
    Way Huge has my vote for coming up with the best pedal names.

BTW... I heard they were being "re-introduced", although that's about all I've heard.

4. Forum Sponsor Sponsored posting

5. Ted M

Ted M Tele-Afflicted

Mar 27, 2003
    I like the Talent Boost - step on it before your big solo.

Another fave of mine is the Ego Compressor.

6. Guitarmoog

Guitarmoog Banned

Jul 22, 2006
    Nowhere
    Marshall's "Edward the Compressor". This gag works on a few different levels!

7. bosstone

bosstone Tele-Afflicted

Oct 15, 2008
    Alameda, CA
    Gizmotron
    Ratzaz

8. Slickster

Slickster Tele-Holic

Nov 3, 2008
    Denver, Colorado
    this one made me laugh

Attached Files:

9. Parma_TeleMon

Parma_TeleMon Friend of Leo's

Feb 5, 2009
    Columbia, MD
    Me too! :D

10. bowlfreshener

bowlfreshener Friend of Leo's

May 3, 2007
    Virginia, USA
    Here's some enclosures and pedals with names I have come up with...

I have since finished the pedals, but the Clean Minus is a Distortion Plus clone, and the Gritty Kitty is a DOD 205 clone:
    [​IMG]

Prism Fuzz, a Triangle Era Big Muff Clone:
    [​IMG]

Swellness Center, a Boss Slow Gear Clone:
    [​IMG]

The Scream, a TubeScreamer Clone, and Phazed and Confused, a Phaser:
    [​IMG]

In case you were wondering, my first name is Tee, and that is where the TEE-Lectronics comes from and why its on all my pedal builds...All enclosure design concepts are my own, but some of the images are "borrowed", like Stimpy, The Scream, and a Prism graphic off Photobucket, but it took me many hours to get the layout on a pedal exactly how I wanted.

11. 11 Gauge

11 Gauge Poster Extraordinaire

Mar 21, 2003
    Near BWI Int'l
    Jeorge Tripps quit working for Line 6, when it was realized by all that he couldn't replicate analog tones with modelling technology.

He's already returned to making WHE pedals, but has only reissued the Swollen Pickle, and it's actually the Mk. II (adds some extra controls to a fuzz clone that needs none, IMO). The other new WHE pedals are all new designs. AFAIK, there is no intention of reissuing any of the other "greats," such as the Red Llama, Green Rhino, Aqua Puss, Saffron Squeeze, Tone Leper, or Foot Pig.

I don't know if Jeorge specified this before having WHE liscensed under Dunlop, or if Dunlop requested brand new designs.

While the new stuff is great, I want the old classics.

Actually, just dug this up, from the man himself:

"There are very few things that I would like to see reissued from the original line. The Swollen Pickle was reissued because there was a big demand for it. A lot of people wanted it, so I thought “Ok, that was a cool one." A lot of people ask about the Aqua Puss, and my first question is “Why would you want a 300ms analog delay?” They’re cool, but the Carbon Copy’s cooler. So I don’t see that happening. My thing is that if there’s a big enough demand for it, we’ll reissue it, but I don’t want to reissue anything just for the sake of bringing it back. I think the Green Rhino’s great, but there’s a lot of people out there doing that sort of thing right now. The field is very different when I started; there weren’t very many players in the game, so there was more room do things like that.
    "

The reason Tripps says that the Carbon Copy is cooler is because he's on retainer for Dunlop, and designed a good bit of the Carbon Copy, and is also responsible for quite a bit of the Script RI MXR line.

Last edited: Mar 19, 2009
  12. viivian23

viivian23 Tele-Meister

Mar 10, 2009
    Rockport, MA
    "the scream" looked pretty sweet. I myself am building a tonebender, but I just think thats a really boring name. Really where can you go with that?

13. Pinball_Wizard

Pinball_Wizard Tele-Holic

May 6, 2008
    San Diego
    EHX; "Electric Mistress" excellent name for a juicy flanger; I'll probably never get one since the size of EHX pedals is just too damn big for my taste.

Roland; "Boss DD-3" simple and easy to remember; ubiquitous. And DD-3 lines up pleasing to the eye; and yes this extends to DD-n* in my taste.

BBE; Two Timer, if you see the face once; you never forget what it is, what it does.

Haven't been too impressed with any of the boutique names really.

14. Axis29

Axis29 Friend of Leo's

Jan 2, 2007
    Virginia, USA
    Big Muff, Swollen Pickle and Electric Mistress top my list for funny/vulgar. And I'm all about funny and vulgar!

In fact, I've had all kinds of fun with the fact that my wife just bought me a Stereo Electric Mistress!

As for straight forward Boss does a pretty good job... Choruses with CH, distortions with DS, delays with DD, the Metal Zone, etc.

15. Ben Harmless

Ben Harmless Friend of Leo's

Mar 10, 2003
    Allston, Mass
    Looks like they've stopped making much in the way of pedals, but there always Metasonix to worry about. Look up their old pedals - and their amp...

16. refin

refin Friend of Leo's

Feb 24, 2005
    Florida Panhandle
  17. Mark Moore

Mark Moore Tele-Afflicted

Jan 11, 2009
    OKUSA
    Best pedal name?

Zuzus.

Zuzus Pedals.

:cool:

18. viivian23

viivian23 Tele-Meister

Mar 10, 2009
    Rockport, MA
    jesus christ thats offensive XD. This thread quickly turned from best pedals to most offensive pedals

19. RomanS

RomanS Poster Extraordinaire

Jun 21, 2006
    Vienna, Austria
    Durham Sex Drive
    Marshall Edward The Compressor
    BBE Two Timer
    Catalinbread Super Chile Picoso & Serrano Picoso (OK, love everything Spanisch/Chicano...)

20. Pinball_Wizard

Pinball_Wizard Tele-Holic

May 6, 2008
    San Diego
    I work today I was thinking; Why didn't I mention the Big Muff?

I mean it's full name is only Big Muff FUZZ; If I was an 11 year old boy I think I'd still be laughing about that.

I probably didn't mention it because I don't like it's sound; somewhat because too many guys have already been there.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.