Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com

Best patch cables?

Discussion in 'The Stomp Box' started by SMurphy28, Oct 18, 2008.

1. czech-one-2

czech-one-2 Friend of Leo's

Oct 3, 2008
    Prague
    yes,you strip about 1/2'' of the outer jacket off. then you carefully un-braid the ground wire and solder it to the metal shell of the plug. the small hot wire goes to the center. mine have a 'tab' for the hot wire to solder to.
    a word of warning,i ordered about 50 of these from an ebay chinese seller for cheap.what a mistake.they fell apart as soon as a hot soldering iron touched them,and 30 of them didnt even fit into 1/4'' jacks! total crap.
    so i looked locally at an electronics store here in prague,and found those nifty,very slim plugs at about 30 cents each! i suggest you try one before buying a batch of 50 online like me. the ground wire requires a pretty hot iron and about 7 seconds to melt it to the casing,so its pretty hot.i scuff the casing with a wire toothbrush to ensure a better bond.also,hold the ground wire against the casing with an alligator clip.
    oh,and drummerdarko,there are thousands of players using the solderless plugs without any problems.i say give em a go,there alot easier to put together,5 minutes as opposed to soldering for two hours.and fyi,i read an eric johnson interview where he said it was the solderless plugs that made the difference to him.
    my soldering skills are top notch,but maybe i'm challanged in the twisting of the thumbscrew department.
    bk

Last edited: Dec 24, 2008

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.