Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com

Best patch cables?

Discussion in 'The Stomp Box' started by SMurphy28, Oct 18, 2008.

1. modernartmuseum

modernartmuseum TDPRI Member

Sep 23, 2008
    London
    george L's are good but just be careful when moving them about and stuff

2. czech-one-2

czech-one-2 Friend of Leo's

Oct 3, 2008
    Prague
    george L's

''george L's are good but just be careful when moving them about and stuff ''

yeah,thats my point.who wants cables that you have to be carefull of ?
    and i never understood the pros of george l's quick repair factor?
    so,you are you going to get out the cable cutters,and re-screw a new connector on in between songs?that is,if you have time to locate the offending cable :eek: :?:

Attached Files:

Last edited: Nov 23, 2008

3. marc sosnoff

marc sosnoff Tele-Holic

Nov 26, 2006
    new jersey
    george l's are good cables i used them for years and years i found from time to time i would have to make a new connections i have moved to evindance cables and they do sound better for the long cables from guitar to amp lenghts on the short patch cables i really cant hear any change of tone lately many have changed the jacks plugs to hard soldering jacks when the connection goes bad its a quick fix if not soldered

all you need is a knife and small screw driver

marc

4. Jenix

Jenix Tele-Holic

The livewire elites they sell at guitar center are good because they don't hesitate to replace them on the spot if they fail. No packaging or receipts need and they're only five dollars a piece

5. sugarinthegourd

sugarinthegourd TDPRI Member

Sep 5, 2008
    Philadelphia, PA
    I'm through with solderless cables. Unreliable and even when they're passing signal, they don't always pass it well. The whole concept is bunk. If you can solder you can make great patch cables with Canare cable & G&H plugs for under $6 apiece including all parts & shipping.

6. jvanhorn

jvanhorn Tele-Meister

Nov 30, 2006
    Clinton, Arkansas
    I use livewire 6" patch cords and Ernie Ball cables. No problems. Everything has worked just fine for over a year now. I don't know what else you could ask for--at a reasonable price also.

7. modernartmuseum

Sep 23, 2008
    London
    I am having no probs with the George l's so far, they seem to give enough space to fit another pedal on my board to which is good

8. Montana_Dawg

Montana_Dawg Tele-Holic

Oct 27, 2004
    Washington
    The problem with screw-in connectors is that over time they are prone to oxidation between the conductor and the terminal. Also, the wires are more prone to break.

Developing a good soldering technique will alleviate most of the problems. Not all, because even soldered connections are prone to some damage, especially in guitar cables that are continuously stressed.

As for quality, the main concern for a guitar cable is capacitance. The cure for that is to buy a cable that is COMPLETELY shielded, as in braided shielding. The cheap ones that have a few strands of copper twisted around the conductor do not work well.

There is a lot of misinformation out there, even from so-called pros in guitar shops. One of the biggest is "low resistance". This is bunk because it doesn't matter. Of course, having an open cable is not good, but having a few ohms, or even a few hundred ohms resistance in a guitar cable is not that big of deal since the input impedance to the amp or a pedal is significantly higher.

There is no real reason to spend a lot of money for guitar cables. Just find the right construction cables, and take the time to learn how to repair them if you intend on doing the repairs yourself. Knowledge is power.

9. modernartmuseum

Sep 23, 2008
    London
    this gold end rubbish does not make a difference at all

10. czech-one-2

Oct 3, 2008
    Prague
    gold or brass ends...................no
    4 % silver wbt solder.....................maybe
    but i bet 11 guage and his vintage radio shack rainbow cable isn't suffering any significant tone loss. maybe eric johnson would disagree though!

11. sapi

sapi Tele-Meister

Aug 10, 2008
    Malta
    I'm using George L's in my new big pedalboard. Everything is passed from underneath and mounted to avoid movement. So far so good.

12. Johnir

Johnir TDPRI Member

Dec 31, 2003
    Trondheim, Norway
    Lava

To be honest, I don't think I ever can hear the difference between different cables....

I've used George L's for years, but have after a while experienced that the solderless plugs caused crackling and has to be retightened.
    This is really irritating during a gig to try to find the right crackling cable.

Thus I've started replacing them with Lava ELC patchcables. (Not the solderless kind). They're extremely solid (and expencive:()
    Do they sound better... no idea... :rolleyes:

13. czech-one-2

Oct 3, 2008
    Prague
    george l's

this is pretty amazing to me.i replaced about 9 monster patch cables with my soldered george l's cable.and there is a noticable high end enhancement.
    my strat is more sparkly and crisp sounding. no joke!
    if i can hear it,you tele twangers will certainly hear it too. i never thought cable could make a noticable difference in tone,and my monster cables were not cheap,but hearing is believing.
    montana dawg has a good point on capacitance. i looked at some belden cable that i had.the shielding around the outside was pretty sparse.in comparison,the george l's are completly braid shielded. the inner or 'hot' wire looks the same on both.so the shielding is where its at for low capacitance.

bk

Last edited: Dec 5, 2008

14. modernartmuseum

Sep 23, 2008
    London

Which canare cable?

15. modernartmuseum

Sep 23, 2008
    London
    I have heard van damme cable and neutrik jacks are a good combo

any suggestions

my george L's failed the other week so I am stripping my whole board and starting over

16. czech-one-2

Oct 3, 2008
    Prague
    ''my george L's failed the other week so I am stripping my whole board and starting over ''

modernartmuseum,if you can solder i would reccomend just getting some regular angled jacks and using your existing george l's cable.its working out well for me.
    bk

17. SMurphy28

SMurphy28 Tele-Meister

Sep 23, 2003
    Madison, NJ
    I'm taking your advice on this one. I ordered some Switchcraft jacks and plan on soldering the George L's cable. I agree, there's something re-assuring with a soldered cable and I like how the George L's sound. I just can't second guess myself every time I want to swap a pedal only to find another cable started coming apart.

Thanks for the advice!

18. modernartmuseum

Sep 23, 2008
    London

so would I strip the cable?

19. modernartmuseum

Sep 23, 2008
    London

Also where are these jacks from they look tiny

would love to try a few

20. drummerdarko

drummerdarko Tele-Meister

Feb 8, 2008
    The Buckeye State
    After hearing about how great the George L's were, I ordered 26 right angle jacks and 15 foot of cable.... and then I stumble upon this thread. Figures :rolleyes:

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.