Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com Reiland Pickups
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com Reilander Pickups
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com Reilander Pickups
Join TDPRI Today

Best patch cables?

Discussion in 'The Stomp Box' started by SMurphy28, Oct 18, 2008.

1. SMurphy28

SMurphy28 Tele-Meister

Are George L's the end all-be all or is this just a bunch of BS?

I have them but lately when stepping on a pedal I've heard loud pops and things from the cable moving by the jacks.

Is there a soldered cable that's better/more reliable? Tried Planet Waves and Monster before but everyone said George L's was the way to go for a tidy board...

2. bowlfreshener

bowlfreshener Friend of Leo's

Personally I think George L and Monster cable is overrated. I'm not saying its not good, but how good or how much difference there is between those cables and other brands may be a bit hyped up. I've had decent luck with Hosa Pro patch cables...not the cheap all plastic Hosa patch cables you find everywhere, but the ones shown here:
    http://cgi.ebay.com/NEW-6-Pack-Hosa...7975300QQcmdZViewItem?_trksid=p3286.m20.l1116

I have also heard good things about DiMarzio patch cables as well...

3. red57strat

red57strat Tele-Afflicted

George L's are great and reasonably priced. It seems that the 90 degree type can loosen up a bit with handling though. I've had to re-tighten some of mine.

4. Forum Sponsor Sponsored posting

5. Big Lug

Big Lug Tele-Holic

6. czech-one-2

czech-one-2 Friend of Leo's

im using monster cable.gold ends and really neat soldering and strain relief jackets.
    george L'S caused a train wreck mid-song last year,and once is enough!
    if its not soldered, i'll pass.

7. Scottone

Scottone Tele-Meister

I'm a long time George L's user, but recently decided to order Lava Cable's mini-ELC cable kit.

most of my patch cables are now built from the Lava kit and I'm really liking them. The George L's sounds good too, but I find that they start going wonky after a while.

If you can solder, I highly recommend Lava's kit.

8. Silverface

Silverface Friend of Leo's

"I'm not saying its not good, but how good or how much difference there is between those cables and other brands may be a bit hyped up."

Actually, several years ago Guitar Player magazine did both audio and capacitance tests on several different brands/models of cable (since many are actually quite similar Belden cable with varied connectors). Capacitance is a problem more in longer cables than with patch cables - higher capacitance= a drop in highs. I'm fairly sure it as the first time guitar cables had been tested comparatively (high-end audio cables are tested for magazine articles quite often).

The George L's rated at the top, with inexpensive Carvin molded-end cables finishing close behind as I recall. Monster was middle of the pack, and since then quite a bit of testing has been done and Monster's stuff is all over the map - some good, some mediocre. What Monster DOES excel in is marketing.

George L, on the other hand, is a small outfit - they do some advertising but mostly got moving via word-of-mouth in the steel guitar arena (they also make excellent steel pickups).

I have been using George L's almost exclusively for ten or fifteen years, and have never had a single one crackle or come apart UNLESS some idiot (usually me) tripped over it. :oops: So what? I can fix it in 30 seconds. I also keep a stock of cable and connectors on hand so I can make patch cables of precise length for pedalboard use (I have two Pedaltrain boards - one for 6-string, one for steel) so I can keep things neat and cable runs as short as possible.

I've seen lots of assembly recommendations, but here's what I do that's never failed (and I've made them for friends as well) - cut with regular dikes, then (IMPORTANT!) roll the end around in my fingers to even it out - insert in end and 1) attach the cap on the angled end, or 2) insert the screw and do NOT overtighten on the straight ones.

Not ONE failure. And they DO sound better than many others - that's been proven.

9. kennedyj

kennedyj Tele-Meister

I would love to try the George L's, but $20 for a single 6 inch cable ($100 or more for an average sized board) doesn't seem that reasonably priced to me.

10. Nub

Nub Friend of Leo's

These days, it's not hard to have $1000+ worth of pedals on an average-sized board, so it makes sense to use good quality cables to hook 'em all together. Norton Cable carries all the high dollar brands, but their Vintage Classic line is also excellent & priced at $9.75 for a 6-12" cable. They also have a DIY kit, which would save a little more money:

http://www.nortoncable.com/index.php?do=model&id=1

Pre-made GeorgeL's are about $12 for a 6-12" from most places, and possibly less if you DIY. The Planet Waves Pedalboard kit also works very well, but at $60, works out to be $12 per cable, too:

http://guitars.musiciansfriend.com/...Cable-Station-Pedalboard-Cable-Kit?sku=339123

11. SMurphy28

SMurphy28 Tele-Meister

Maybe I'm not doing something right then and I should take my time making them this time around.

I'll take your advice Silverface and give it another go!

12. Tim Swartz

Tim Swartz Friend of Leo's

+1

13. dalandan

dalandan Tele-Afflicted

they recomment george L's but instead of fastening it to the end of solderless jacks, to use regular jacks with solder. helps with the tone.

14. kp8

kp8 Friend of Leo's

Get a good buffer... buy and use any off the shelf cable.

;)

15. red57strat

red57strat Tele-Afflicted

The patch cable kit is about $80 and makes five 12" cables. $16 per cable. Not cheap, but not too bad either.

It's gone up a lot. Mine was only about $50 for the set! I added some jacks and have a large supply of 6" cables.

16. tazzboy

tazzboy Former Member

George L are the best cable out there bar none. Granted there are high price high end that would probably might out do George L cables, but for the money I would go with George L.

17. 11 Gauge

11 Gauge Poster Extraordinaire

I doubt they'd be best tonewise (not that anyone would ever use them in a shootout), but I bought a boatload of the colored ones from Rat Shack roughly 20 years ago.

I haven't had a single failure, either, and I've abused the crap out of mine. They've been so reliable that I haven't had an excuse to replace them - lord knows I've tried.

The "good" news is that I haven't seen them in RS any more, so when they are "obsolete," I'll have to go to something premium.

18. czech-one-2

czech-one-2 Friend of Leo's

thanks dalandan!

why didnt i think of soldering my george l's to standard angled plugs?
    and to think i was going to can all these pieces of cable!
    i hope no one thinks i was slamming george l's,it really is great cable.
    for me there's just something re-assuring about solder connections .

Attached Files:

19. golfnut

golfnut Tele-Afflicted

I use the planet waves patch cable kit. It sounds great to me and I've never had a failure. Of course I never take pedals on and off my board. My board is small and set. I guess because of this I'd be a good candidate for George L's since the biggest beef is unreliability when moving pedals on and off the board. I'd need to see proof they'd be very noticeably better than what I have.

20. vjf1968

vjf1968 Poster Extraordinaire

I think the Planet Waves and George L's are neck in neck. The Planet Waves are available at most music stores. They use the same type of connections so the quick repair factor is a great asset. Never had a problem with mine.

21. wnorcott

wnorcott Tele-Holic

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.