Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Reiland Pickups
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Reilander Pickups
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Reilander Pickups
Join TDPRI Today

Best overdrive or distortion pedal for tube amp?

Discussion in 'The Stomp Box' started by superhand, Nov 30, 2009.

1. superhand

superhand Tele-Afflicted

Oct 4, 2009
    Clovis, CA
    What is a good overdrive or distortion pedal to use with a tube amp? I play a SX tele clone with Keystone pickups with a Vox AC4TV. I like to play blues, classic rock, alt-country and early heavy metal kind of stuff.
  2. studio1087

studio1087 Doctor of Teleocity

May 10, 2003
    Near Milwaukee
    I would get a Digitech Bad Monkey. The seperate bass and treble knobs are useful in shaping the tone on a smaller amp. It's a great affordable pedal.
  3. FenderGuy53

FenderGuy53 Friend of Leo's

May 14, 2008
    Marion, NC
    The Bad Monkey has a great rep and is true bargain. Allegedly, it sucks tone, even when not switched, so the recommendation is to run it through a separate loop.
  4. Forum Sponsor Sponsored posting

5. FenderGuy53

FenderGuy53 Friend of Leo's

May 14, 2008
    Marion, NC
    With your setup, I don't think you need an OD pedal at all. Turn it up, bro. The Vox AC4, like it's older brother, the AC15, saturates very nicely (and naturally) with little prompting.

If you REALLY need a distortion pedal, try a Proco You Dirty RAT or MI Audio Crunch Box. ;)
  6. dconeill

dconeill Tele-Afflicted

Best? There is no best. There's lots of different, though.

Probably the first thing to do is to set a budget, then stick to it.

Next thing is to spend some time looking at GearMannDude's and ProGuitarShop's videos on YouTube and elsewhere - they review many distortion devices.

Everybody will list their favorites for you, but that tells you exactly nothing. Or, more precisely, that tells you what **they** like, not what **you'll** like.
  7. superhand

superhand Tele-Afflicted

Oct 4, 2009
    Clovis, CA
    Yeah I know. If I wanted my opinion, I would go to GC and try some out, I'm interested in YOUR opinions.
  8. Bluej58

Bluej58 Tele-Holic

Nov 23, 2008
    Marseilles, Ill USA
    I like my Ibanez Tube Screamer through a Blues Jr.
  9. Suttykins

Suttykins Tele-Meister

Jun 28, 2009
    United Kingdom
    I've never really digged the sound of a tubescreamer through a vox (too much mids)

a boss blues driver could work.. or depending on what sound you want some kind of treble booster for that classic vox roarrr
  10. gonzo

gonzo Former Member

Oct 9, 2009
    salt lake city utah
    bad moneky?
    i had one.
    got rid of it quick.

ended up with a Barber Direct Drive, after trying many pedals (keely ds1 mod, ocd, fulltone fulldrive2, crunch box, radial tone bone, etc....)

best is strictly subjective tho.

eric johnson uses an ancient fuzz face. go figure.
  11. flatout9

flatout9 Tele-Holic

Aug 6, 2009
    Houston, TX
    Keeley Modded TS8. Worth the dimes.
  12. hannigan

hannigan Friend of Leo's

Try a Dirty Little Secret.
  13. JosephB

JosephB Tele-Afflicted

Nov 18, 2007
    Auburn, Alabama
    with a small amp like that i'd try a boost pedal to overdrive the amp itself. a z-vex super hard on, keeley katana or the like. maybe even a Timmy or the danelectro version of the timmy.
  14. castpolymer

castpolymer Poster Extraordinaire

May 27, 2008
    Edmond, Oklahoma
    The Keeley Fuzz Head does a nice job of O.D. and fuzz. The Keeley Time Machine does great O.D.
  15. Jason R.

Jason R. Tele-Holic

May 31, 2006
    Norfolk, VA

I have the modded (not baked). I would grab it in a house fire.
  16. smrybacki

smrybacki NEW MEMBER!

Feb 8, 2008
    Carlisle, PA
    IMHO, the best overdrive pedal out there is the Fulltone Fulldrive II MOSFET. I like that it has so many possibilities such as tube screamer clone, a flattened mid range overdrive, and a clean booster to start with. There is much you can do with this pedal.
  17. morroben

morroben Friend of Leo's

Jun 25, 2006
    Morro Bay, Ca
    This one's the best for me...
  18. DMace

DMace Friend of Leo's

Jul 30, 2008
    Brooklyn, NY
    Xotic AC Booster
  19. koen

koen Tele-Afflicted

May 19, 2007
    West of Morocco
    +1 :!:
  20. Tonemonkey

Tonemonkey Poster Extraordinaire

But a keeley mod TS9 or BD2 will nudge the amp over the edge; just remember with an amp that easy to OD, don't use much gain....just a smidgen.

IMHO, of course. ;)
  21. telestroker

telestroker TDPRI Member

Oct 16, 2009
    Orange County

I LOVE my TS10. So warm and fuzzy.

Have a TS7 for the extra kick, but for the music we've been playing lately, I've gone with the in-your-face Marshall GV2.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.