Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com

Best non Fender Tele copy ?

Discussion in 'Telecaster Discussion Forum' started by maestrovert, Aug 25, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. sneakyjapan

sneakyjapan Poster Extraordinaire

Mar 17, 2003
    nippon
    yeah generally the `80s are considered by many to be the golden age of MIJ guitars...look around the web to see how much people are paying for them nowadays. To see what I mean get your hands on a Van Zandt or a top end from the Seymour Duncan line...the Joe Barden line was nice once they settled on a headstock shape...among other brands.

2. campfire

campfire Tele-Meister

Dec 28, 2008
    St. Petersburg, FL.
    Wow! Nice pics & nice guitar. Greco really got the color right, it looks just like my 70's era blonde/maple Fender Tele!:)

3. stratman323

stratman323 Banned

Apr 19, 2010
    London, UK
    Yep. Well think about it - lots of people on here love their blackguard US 52 Tele re-issues, right? And many others love the US 57 & 62 RI Strats. Where do you think Fender got the idea from to make these fine guitars?

Japan.

Tokai, Greco & other companies were making much better Strats & Teles in the 1977 to 1982 period than Fender were - just look at the Fender guitars from that period. They were a company which had lost it's way & were struggling to get their range sorted out again. The Japanese had the answer - make quality re-issues of the classic guitars and make them properly & consistently. So Fender sorted themselves out by commissioning the Fender Japan range from early 1982, made under license, & from late 1982 they had the US re-issues in the shops.

How many people think they would have followed that path if the Japanese hadn't already shown them the way in the five years leading up to 1982?

4. MBT74

MBT74 Tele-Meister

Aug 21, 2009
    Bisbane, Australia
    The Tokais and Grecos I've played are great. The Kirn Barnbusters look fantastic but I've never played one myself.

But the best Tele copy I've played is my Danocaster. By a country mile.

5. sneakyjapan

sneakyjapan Poster Extraordinaire

Mar 17, 2003
    nippon
    yeah some MIJs from that time period were great, certainly not all. Leo made em first, the Japanese copied them...one of the things they are very very good at...then F/USA sorted themselves out so to speak. The idea didn`t come from Japan, they just made some excellent clones of guitars that came from the USA...kinda like the way the British invasion opened a certain segment of American eyes to their own blues. Came from America, went abroad and came back.

6. NEPATelecaster

NEPATelecaster Tele-Afflicted

Jan 30, 2006
    Lovelton PA

7. Halfmoon

Halfmoon NEW MEMBER!

Dec 27, 2010
    Spain
    Hi all, i thought you should take a look at this beauty...

[​IMG]

German made, spalted maple top, decent guitar for the price. And only 75€!!! for the price it´s worth, plus you can mod it once you get tired of it... I ordered once from them and i couldn´t be happpier.

www.hk-instruments.de

Cheers!

8. nrand

nrand Friend of Leo's

+1 Next on my NGD list

9. nrand

nrand Friend of Leo's

10. tintag27

tintag27 Tele-Afflicted

Jan 18, 2010
    Macclesfield, UK
    Levinson Blade

Hey Halfmoon, that's a beautiful tele!
    Had to add this stunning Levinson Blade Delta, which I lusted after but settled for a CV50 (no complaints). These Blades are really good.

Attached Files:

11. davenumber2

davenumber2 Friend of Leo's

Sep 28, 2010
    Columbia, MO
    Anybody know anything about Bradley teles? Saw one in a pawn shop the other day. Didn't have a chance to play it though.

12. Halfmoon

Halfmoon NEW MEMBER!

Dec 27, 2010
    Spain

Japanes made during the 80s. Pretty rockin´guitars and veeery difficult to find.

13. davenumber2

davenumber2 Friend of Leo's

Sep 28, 2010
    Columbia, MO
    what would one go for you think?

14. savofenno

savofenno Tele-Afflicted

Feb 16, 2010
    Sweden
    Wait for it, this will happen

No more than 10 years to the future, people will say of today`s Squier, Epiphone, Tokai etc. " that guitar is MIC, so it`s of good quality"!:eek::
    When cheap guitars are made in Africa or other now thought impossible places.

15. savofenno

savofenno Tele-Afflicted

Feb 16, 2010
    Sweden
    Better cars are made than Chevrolet

Otherwise GM have not had to fire so many workers. If you mean only Corvette, there is better sports cars made too in this world.
    To topic: America is not since long time the only place they are making top quality guitars. Original designs too.:!:
    But i am forever thankful for Leo F, Les Paul etc. for starting this real & functional electric guitar thing, do not misunderstand me in this point.
    It happened in America.:cool:

16. Land of Dragons

Land of Dragons TDPRI Member

Nov 25, 2010
    Wales UK
    That grain is gorgeous! Is it stained or waxed do you know?
    Andy

17. surfdood

surfdood TDPRI Member

A couple of years ago I bought a tele copy by Encore (don't laugh) with a 10 watt amp (quite nasty!) a tuner, strap and stand for £90. Now as you would expect, the guitar needed some setting up. I put a bone nut in it, replaced the bridge to be like a les paul junior (I liked what Rick Parfitt did to his tele), reshaped the headstock a la Fender and now it plays really well. The pick ups are 'Guitar Tech' but they put out a good sound and the machine heads are individual sealed units, so overall I'm pleased with it. I originally wanted to build one from parts, but at this price...Of course I'd really like a proper one but that's out of the question at the moment......

18. mohika

mohika Tele-Meister

Oct 13, 2009
    california
    For the most realistic aged look, vintage feel and tone,
    GVCG, LSL and Danocaster. No contest.
    I'm also dying to try a Nachocaster.

19. blueshawk1

blueshawk1 Tele-Meister

Oct 25, 2007
    Upstate NY
    I can't say which is the "best" copy, I haven't played them all, but I've been quite pleased with this one - in fact when I was thinning out, I sold my Fender MIM and kept this Agile;

[​IMG]

20. campfire

campfire Tele-Meister

Dec 28, 2008
    St. Petersburg, FL.
    Has anyone ever played a DeTemple? $8000.00!!! That's right. I didn't use too many zero's! Are they worth it? Is ANY new telecaster worth $8000.00?:confused:

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.