Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com

Best non Fender Tele copy ?

Discussion in 'Telecaster Discussion Forum' started by maestrovert, Aug 25, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. baja_baiter

baja_baiter TDPRI Member

Mar 16, 2010
    Sheffield
    Gots to be Prince's Hohner Tele, surely to goodness...

[​IMG]

...just watch him play it here:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=madax7-lMvM

Any guitar that stands up to this level of high speed abuse is a winner in my eyes.

2. baja_baiter

baja_baiter TDPRI Member

Mar 16, 2010
    Sheffield

3. stratman323

stratman323 Banned

Apr 19, 2010
    London, UK
    Nonsense. Tokai do now sell a range of Chinese made Tokais as well, but Tokais are still made in Japan, at the same place, & by the same people as in the 70s & 80s. You really should check your facts before making sweeping statements like that.

For over 10 years Tokai (in Japan!) made guitars for Fender Japan, & that contract has (apparently) only recently come to an end.

4. spikypaddy

spikypaddy Tele-Afflicted

May 20, 2010
    Devon, UK
    And the Tokai Japanese Tele and Strats with the traditional shaped headstocks are still available, according to the UK site. It would appear to be the Chinese made guitars that have the weird, "flattened" headstocks.

5. alguit

alguit TDPRI Member

Aug 4, 2010
    Bloomingdale, NJ
    Love my G&L ASAT, and my Big Tex has become my main guitar!

6. stratman323

stratman323 Banned

Apr 19, 2010
    London, UK
    I don't think it's quite as simple as that, I think it's more a question of which market they are destined for, and how likely it is that they will face some kind of "lawsuit" (apologies for using that awful word!) in that country.

At the moment there are one or two dealers on eBay UK selling Strats & Teles like this one, made in Japan in 2010, that I bought earlier this year.

[​IMG]

7. leonard d rock

leonard d rock Tele-Afflicted

Peavey Generation EXP in various configurations. Solid construction, great sounding neck pup, moddable electronics. I have two and they surprise me and my audiences. Oh. very affordable.

ldr

8. stratman323

stratman323 Banned

Apr 19, 2010
    London, UK
    I've never heard of them - any pics?

9. teleduster

teleduster Banned

May 7, 2005
    arkansas
    A non-Fender Telecaster is like a non-Chevrolet Corvette.

10. stratman323

stratman323 Banned

Apr 19, 2010
    London, UK
    So that's a good thing, right?

11. Durtdog

Durtdog Poster Extraordinaire

May 19, 2004
    Tennessee
    [Don't know about that.

Last edited: Aug 12, 2010

12. sneakyjapan

sneakyjapan Poster Extraordinaire

Mar 17, 2003
    nippon
    there are many great Japanese builders today that create guitars that exceed those from the golden age of MIJs.

13. ROADMAN

ROADMAN Poster Extraordinaire

another Tokai vote

03 MIJ

[​IMG]

85 MIJ sold to fellow member.....:cry:

[​IMG]

14. Eric Daw

Eric Daw TDPRI Member

Jan 17, 2010
    Seattle
    Yeah, but a lot of people feel like the Fender comany hasn't made real Telecasters for many years. They are just making copies of the old ones like everybody else. Unless you mean a non LEO Telecaster is like a non-Chevy Corvette. Then I'd agree with that.

A lot of these builders get all their parts from the same suppliers that Fender gets theirs from.

15. teleduster

teleduster Banned

May 7, 2005
    arkansas
    We're two peas in a pod, then.

16. ADK Teleman

ADK Teleman Tele-Afflicted

Sep 30, 2009
    A-Bay NY
    There is only one non Fender Tele style I would buy and that is a Ron Kirn...what a sweet guitar!!!
    ADK

17. teleduster

teleduster Banned

May 7, 2005
    arkansas
    "The Golden Age of MIJ'S"!!!

:eek:

How old am I, anyway! I still get mad when I think about not buying Candy Barr's Broadcaster.

And they're lamenting the Golden Age of Made in Freaking Japan!!!:lol::lol::lol:

18. nalod

nalod Tele-Meister

Jul 15, 2010
    San Antonio area

19. leonard d rock

leonard d rock Tele-Afflicted

i don't have pics of my own yet, but there are several threads on "peavey generation exp"here with pics plus a peavey guitar owners club if you use the search function.

20. backsideslappy

backsideslappy Tele-Afflicted

Jun 21, 2010
    Australia
    I'm gonna side with my Greco on this one, she's turned out to be an absolute delight to play and a delight to look at. 1976, all stock.

Attached Files:

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.