Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com Reiland Pickups
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com Reilander Pickups
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com Reilander Pickups
Join TDPRI Today

Best non Fender Tele copy ?

Discussion in 'Telecaster Discussion Forum' started by maestrovert, Aug 25, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. maestrovert

maestrovert Poster Extraordinaire

i had a Pan/Alembic Toploader Tele that was a great guitar....
    i've no experience with any other non Fender Teles (aside from homebrew partscasters) such as the Samick or the Ibanez.....
    i've the offshore imports in mind, i'm not counting the Andersons, DeTemples, or Suhrs

2. roadkillbill

roadkillbill Tele-Holic

Jun 23, 2006
    Va.
    Well, I've got an Epiphone tele, MIK that's kinda cool, not the pointy headstock one, but the other one that's black w//scalloped edge and mother o' pearl inlay..

And, a JB Player tele, natural finish, maple neck.. probably chinese, and very nice for the price..

Both were under a hundred bucks--I bought them a year and a half ago when it dawned on me that I ought to try out a tele, or at least a tele shaped object, just to see if I liked it..

I've upgraded both with new p'ups, and thought about selling them to replace them with real teles, but for the price I paid, they're worth more as guitars to travel with, or play slide on.

3. Jack Wells

Jack Wells Doctor of Teleocity

Oct 19, 2003
    Albuquerque, USA
    Nelsonic made a pretty decent Tele style guitar but I think Fender put an end to it. It was made in Korea. Some think it may have been made by the same factory that makes the Lite Ash Telecaster. Here's mine as I received it.
    ......................[​IMG]

Here it is after a neck refinish and a Ferden headstock transformation.

......................[​IMG]

4. Forum Sponsor Sponsored posting

5. robmc_68

robmc_68 Former Member

Aug 17, 2006
    New Jersey
    Rondo Music in Union NJ sells two Chinese made tele & strat knock offs ,that really aren,t bad . I live near them so I have noodled around on both. SX is the first , they make a nice butterscotch tele that is as good as any squier,( they also put a nice aged finish on the neck) te other Agile, which is the higher end SX ( I am sure they make them at the same plant,why the name change??) poly'ed necks but good action ,both have the tele twang .
    Check out rondomusic.net or go to Harmoney_Cemtral , they get alot of good reviews.

6. TELEkinetic

TELEkinetic Tele-Holic

Jun 11, 2005
    Central Arkansas
    Me too......I bought it a a players pack for my daughter a few Xmas ago. I was very shocked at just what a great little guitar it was. The neck is not very pretty on the back, but the craftsmanship is solid and the sound is good. I think the cost with a little Crate amp and a gig bag was about $169. A bargain in my book.

[​IMG]

7. PraiseCaster

PraiseCaster Poster Extraordinaire

Jay Turser actually makes some decent Tele copies. I owned one, and it wasnt bad at all. Very light, possibly sub 5lbs., since it was always "neck diving" on me, and a good tone too.

But I also played some Jay Tursers that were dogs too, so you really had to sort through the litter............

The neck was ultra thin though, and it drove me to upgrade to a Squier Affinity Special. Still have that one today, though its been heavily modded. Not much "Squier" left too it.

8. frogger

frogger Tele-Holic

May 10, 2003
    Lincoln Nebraska
    Tokai "Breezy Sound"........Pre lawsuit Tele copy that was too good for it's own good.

9. charlie chitlin

charlie chitlin Poster Extraordinaire

Mar 17, 2003
    Spring City, Pa
    +1 on the Tokai.
    Even Duke Robillard played 'em!

10. MoOMaN2679

MoOMaN2679 Tele-Meister

Sep 29, 2005
    Middlebourne, WV
    I like the Hamer T-51's...if you can still find them around. Love them!

11. namida

namida Tele-Meister

Feb 24, 2006
    Philippines
    i have a whiteguard lawsuit greco tele. awesome guitar.

12. Mike Rice

Mike Rice Friend of Leo's

Mar 2, 2003
    Hudson Valley
    +2 on the Tokai, but therein lies the problem. I've seen a couple Tokai Breezy Sound teles sell on eBay within the last year for over $700!! It may be an alternative, but it's not a money saving alternative anymore.

If you're looking for a reasonably priced alternative, to an MIJ Tele in particular, I'm still quite partial to the Fernandes teles I've played, including the one I own. It's essentially a MIJ '62 Custom RI and I have VZ Vintage Plus pickups in it. Looks, sounds, and plays fantastic.

13. sultan59

sultan59 Tele-Holic

Jun 7, 2006
    Rockport,TX
    Sure like to try one of those Gigliottis Joe Bonamassa plays, kinda spendy, though. He sure makes 'em sound good. Got a brass or aluminum top on there...here's a pic, maybe. That ain't Joe, but it's a better pic.:D

[​IMG]

14. TraditionalCountry

TraditionalCountry Tele-Meister

Dec 25, 2005
    Rhode Island
    Has anybody here played the Washburn W136 Tele knockoff?
    Malcolm

15. namida

namida Tele-Meister

Feb 24, 2006
    Philippines
    The price of lawsuit guitars being sold here are starting to go up too, I think folks here are starting to notice them now. Some years ago, they used to sell for just over $100 according to a guitar-seller.

16. namida

namida Tele-Meister

Feb 24, 2006
    Philippines
    the tele that the rice custom guitars make are truly desirable.

17. jericho60

jericho60 formerly ye olde fretmonkey

Mar 19, 2003
    Gnashville area

Interesting, all the Grecos I've seen have been Gibson knockoffs.

18. upplehoy

upplehoy Tele-Meister

Dec 18, 2003
    brugge belgium
    Early 80 ies Fernandez tele and strat copies were quite good.

19. namida

namida Tele-Meister

Feb 24, 2006
    Philippines
    It feels kindda spooky to me really as pretty much of the grecos i've seen are lp's or other gibson models too.

I've spotted one on e-bay recently: http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=280021794105&indexURL=0&photoDisplayType=2#ebayphotohosting

Mine looks just like that except for the modifications. I've replaced the tuners with gotoh minis, and it has been converted to a string-thru body when i got it. and i think the first owner was insecured of the brand that he/she scraped the decal off the headstock, but its still quite visible.

heres my tele with me in a jam
    http://photos.perfdecastro.com/albums/userpics/10001/normal_102_0136.JPG

I'd like to have another one if i can find one here but they are getting harder to come by

20. rusticman

rusticman Tele-Meister

Mar 16, 2003
    NORWAY
    rockinger

rockinger makes a very godd copy. hi quality all the way.

www.rockinger.com

21. msteurbaut

msteurbaut Tele-Holic

Apr 6, 2005
    Belgium
    I like this one:

[​IMG]

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.