Best Mexican Restaurants

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by chet again, May 10, 2019.

1. Uncle Daddy

Uncle Daddy Tele-Holic

My wife's bestie comes from Mexico City. Because I learned a little Spanish in school years ago, I had a notion that "burrito" might mean "little donkey", being a combination of burro (donkey) and ito, a diminutive meaning small or little. When I asked her about that, she said the word refers to the bed roll that goes on the saddle of a little donkey, hence the name.

She went on to say that burritos are not Mexican food, of course, and no one outside of the border towns is likely to know what they are.

nojazzhere likes this.
  2. beyer160

beyer160 Friend of Leo's

I generally take it for granted that you can find decent Mexican food anywhere in the US if you know where to look. The purists may turn up their noses, but I'm not talking about blow-your-mind amazing, just a good meal that beats the chain restaurants.

Unfortunately I found out that this doesn't apply in Canada. The hispanic migration in the US over the last 25 years that made Mexican cuisine mainstream seems to have stopped at our norther border. I made the mistake of going to a "Mexican" restaurant in Quebec, which was so horrific it was fascinating. Our meal seemed to have been prepared by someone who'd seen pictures of Mexican food, but had never tasted it. I'd also never ordered Mexican food in French before. To top it off, all the local beer I tried in Quebec tasted like soap. I've enjoyed Toronto, but I'm in no hurry to return to Quebec.

As for favorites, I'm not a connoisseur by any means but I always try to get to Mia's when I'm in DFW. The taco truck at my local soccer park is pretty rockin', too.

nojazzhere likes this.
  3. beyer160

beyer160 Friend of Leo's

It's the #2 afterward that's the problem.

4. BigDaddyLH

BigDaddyLH Telefied Ad Free Member

All I can say is the Mexican food I had in the UK was even worse!

Here in BC, it's all about Asian food. Yah gotta go with the "local" specialties.

teletimetx and brookdalebill like this.
  5. Paul in Colorado

Paul in Colorado Telefied Ad Free Member

Do you remember the other place I mentioned? It was just down Speedway from the University just east of Campbell on the south side of the street. This was in the early '80's, I think.

Yeah, no Chicago Store, but there's still Rainbow Guitars! I worked at the Workshop Music store on E. Speedway.

6. brookdalebill

brookdalebill Tele Axpert Ad Free Member

Indeed!
    The best Asian food I ever had was in Victoria’s Chinatown.

7. omahaaudio

omahaaudio Friend of Leo's

If you walk across the Rio Grande bridge into Nuevo Progresso, Mexico and take the first left there's a bunch of open-air taquerias that serve the best Mexican food on the continent.
    Cheap too.

8. dkmw

dkmw Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

In most areas of Mexico, cheese is a luxury item and not used in everyday food. So the stuff you're making at home is probably more authentic than the ''cheesy'' restaurants.

9. RetroTeleRod

RetroTeleRod Poster Extraordinaire

Around here Adelita's is pretty popular, as is El Rancho. I love both of them. Some folks say that Tex-Mex isn't real Mexican food. I guess someone should tell the Mexican folks that own and operate the places. :lol:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

nojazzhere likes this.
  10. KC

KC Friend of Leo's

I was supposed to be in Tucson this week & had my menu all planned out: a double Sammy dog at El Guero Canelo, a couple of asada tacos at BK, carne seca plate at the downtown El Charro -- touristy, yes, and hit-or-miss but when they're on they're on. El Minuto, Mi Nidito, whatever that place is out on the west side that makes their tortillas to order, that no-name taco place in South Tucson out by the dog track. Now I'm hungry.

11. rcole_sooner

rcole_sooner Poster Extraordinaire Silver Supporter

We spent Thanksgiving 2013 at the Villa La Estancia in Cabo San Lucas. They served us one of the best "traditional" Thanksgiving dinners I have ever had. Turkey and dressing and the works. All fancy top quality dishes, served in several courses. Nothing really "Mexican" about it, but just all delicious. It was a huge surprise.

12. Geoff738

Geoff738 Poster Extraordinaire

Forgot about a short lived place in Kensington market, which has a bunch of Mexican places. This place was in a kind of food court and just had one guy doing everything. It was really really good but if there were even a couple people in front of you it could take forever. Bourdain put him on one of his shows.

He eventually opened a proper sit down restaurant that I never made it to. After it closed he disappeared.

Cheers,
    Geoff

13. DrPepper

DrPepper Tele-Afflicted

Tried Chubby's once... too greasy for me, authentic yes, but greasy as hell

t guitar floyd likes this.
  14. philpm

philpm TDPRI Member

That they do not appear to have. Looks interesting though.

15. Toto'sDad

Toto'sDad Telefied Ad Free Member

We're going to a Boxcar Music Festival show tonight in honor of Merle Haggard with my daughter and son in law. His sons Benny and Noel will be there and Mo Pitney, along with some others. We are going to stop off at the Hacienda Grill a little Mexican joint that the Mexican people themselves eat at here in Bakersfield. I know the Mexican people go there, because I have some Mexican friends who invite me to lunch, and we usually go there. Nothing fancy but the food is especially good. The folks who own it, run it, and they are super nice!

16. trev333

trev333 Telefied Ad Free Member

The last Mex eatery I went to was in Ensenada back in '85.....:rolleyes:

there aren't too many Mex places around here.... I do make nachos/tacos sometimes at home if that counts...:D

red beans and rice,,,;)

17. boredguy6060

boredguy6060 Friend of Leo's

We have a Tamale festival every year.
    Hundreds of tamale makers compete for a title and cash.
    I love Tamales, I buy several dozen and freeze them, eat’em all year round.
    These are some serious Tamale makers at the festival and you can get some of the most delicious Tamales anywhere in the world at this festival.
    As far as restaurants go, so many mom and pop restaurants around here that serve some delicious Mexican food.

18. Telecasterless

Telecasterless Friend of Leo's

This thread could seriously have over 1000 pages, and that's just Los Angeles.

I can't even try to begin.

chet again and dkmw like this.
  19. ravindave_3600

ravindave_3600 Friend of Leo's

We may have met back then. I was in all those stores a lot. In 85 I bought a 66 Pro Reverb at Rainbow I still love today. But I do miss the maelstrom of musical beauty and hype that was Chicago Store...it's closing was a great historical and cultural loss.

I'm not recalling the tacqueria you're talking about. By the hotel where Dennis Wilson got busted for, um, consorting with a lass of insufficient years?

20. KC

KC Friend of Leo's

was it Boca Taco? They used to be on Speedway. Killer tacos.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.