Best Mexican Restaurants

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by chet again, May 10, 2019.

1. Whatizitman

Whatizitman Tele-Afflicted

Yes. Sadly there are absolutely NO decent Mexican food restaurants in Pinellas County.

On that note, it was living in St. Pete for a year that finally drove me to figure out how to make good salsa. I was very spoiled coming from TX, where you can buy good, generic salsa at the grocery store. FL salsa choices at both stores and restaurants does not even deserve a mention. Wow. Just wow.

I spent a few months trying out different things, and came up with a good general salsa. I now make a huge batch of it every few months. We freeze the bulk of it in separate packages. When one gets used up, take another out to thaw. Use it on everything. I have yet to find jarred salsa as good as my homemade. And it's ridiculously easy to make.

Apparently, HEB has since stopped selling that amazing generic salsa, anyway. Couldn't find it last time I was back in Austin. They have a non-refrigerated version now. But it ain't even close to being the same. Oh well.

I've also come up with a really easy yummy taco sauce. Another thing that's hard to find, despite all the trendy hot sauce upstarts out there now. If you've ever had good homemade taco sauce at a good street/van taco vendor, you know what I'm talking about.

15-20 dried chile de Arbol, lightly toasted with onion and garlic. Throw in osterizer with a jar of herdez verde salsa. Blend until the chiles are chopped fine. Done.

Flyboy likes this.
  2. Jerry J

Jerry J Tele-Afflicted

Since we're not talking about chain Mexican restaurants, thankfully, I'd say in NOVA it's Anita's. Anita was a legend and opened her first restaurant in Vienna. Then she branched out throughout NOVA. But that original location was always the best. For those of you from NOVA, the original was close to that other Vienna landmark - the Vienna Inn, where many a night the owners would let a very drunk John Riggins sleep on the floor! They told him if he left, to be sure to lock the door behind him.

Anita was originally from New Mexico and that's how she marketed the restaurant. To this day, her Carnitas are best, perfectly seasoned and awesome to wash down with a Tecate or Dos Equis Amber, or better yet - two or three of them. Just typing this post is making me hungry.

3. rcole_sooner

rcole_sooner Poster Extraordinaire Silver Supporter

Anymore all I really want are some great street tacos. Lot of places do a great job on this.

Just an example ... Twisted X brewery in Austin had a nice taco truck parked outside last time we visited.

[​IMG]

Flyboy, Whatizitman and brookdalebill like this.
  4. ce24

ce24 Poster Extraordinaire

Gardenias...... Cabo San Lucas! Nuf said.

5. 1293

1293 Poster Extraordinaire

That pretty much sums up my take on Mexican food north of the border. I have to make it myself.

20181125_014113.jpg

Whatizitman likes this.
  6. nojazzhere

nojazzhere Poster Extraordinaire

It's kinda funny you mention Joe T's......to many locals, Joe T's is a joke. They have a wonderful place, especially if you eat out on the patio, but the food itself is "meh".
    Ft Worth has a great variety of Mexican food, from El Fenix to Mercado Juarez to Mexican Inn to The Original (on Camp Bowie).....etc. (a bunch of little "hole-in-the-wall" places)
    Can I veer off-topic a little? Does anyone remember the El Chico TV dinners from the seventies? Pre microwave era, in the metal trays. EXCELLENT enchiladas, beans and rice.....just the right amount of grease in the enchiladas. Microwave ovens are the WORST thing that ever happened to TV dinners. :(

7. ReverendRevolver

ReverendRevolver Tele-Holic

My favorite is a set of 2 restaurants founded by a family who had moved to ohio in roughly the 50s. They started Lapoloma in the 70s in Heath, and opened another location, Sopapilla Express, in Newark. There have been other iterations in addition to those in 3+ other cities, as well as an extra "lunch only" hours one in the same town, but theyve always only lasted a few years.

But,

Obviously everyone closer to Mexico has an advantage over the rest of us as far as getting lucky with Mexican Food.

Chinese food would be slightly less one sided.
    ;)

8. Flyboy

Flyboy Tele-Meister

Tecate/Bohemia were my favourite Mexi ales. Could not stomach Sol or Corona.

Georox likes this.
  9. BigDaddyLH

BigDaddyLH Telefied Ad Free Member

I don't know, I've never been to Mexico.

t guitar floyd likes this.
  10. Flyboy

Flyboy Tele-Meister

Us Brits never had TV Dinners; we had Boil in the Bag!!

11. rcole_sooner

We started on a "life style eating plan" at the beginning of the year. Part of it is no "white carbs" (bread, rice, and such). So very limited meals that include tortillas (maybe a cheat meal here and there).

I've found a single scrambled and fried thin egg, makes a decent tortilla replacement for tacos.

These are shrimp, slaw, pickled red onion, roasted jalapeno, avocado, and cilantro.

[​IMG]

12. Flyboy

Flyboy Tele-Meister

I
    I like the sound of that but dunno what osterizer is; will look it up.

I use fresh coriander when serving salsa.

Whatizitman likes this.
  13. allen082

allen082 Friend of Leo's

Good gracious guys!!! My wife's been on a pretty strict meal plan and workout program as part of a 12 week strength cycle. I've been doing my best to be supportive and eat what she eats, but then this thread comes along. All I've been craving is nachos and tacos. Now I'm gonna have to sneak out of the office (we work together) at lunch and find the street taco truck.

nojazzhere and rcole_sooner like this.
  14. allen082

allen082 Friend of Leo's

We make something similar for our tortillas that is pretty satisfying, but dang it, I get these cravings occasionally for tortilla chips and hard tacos that nothing else can satisfy.

t guitar floyd and rcole_sooner like this.
  15. rcole_sooner

You and your wife, need to check out using an egg for a taco shell. See my post above.

Edit: I see ya saw it. :D

16. allen082

allen082 Friend of Leo's

:)

We're actually using those tortillas tonight to make chicken enchiladas.

rcole_sooner likes this.
  17. TeleBluesMan

TeleBluesMan Tele-Meister

Another vote for Anita's. I love their tamales.
    PS. I remember their first location, a small storefront on Maple Ave. That one's been closed for many years.

18. ale.istotle

ale.istotle TDPRI Member

In my travels the best/most memorable Mexican food I have had is at Forti's in El Paso. It helped to go in with a regular because they'd get stuff not necessarily on the menu. Haven't been there since the 90's, but if business takes me back to town i'll eat there every night.

19. reactor99

reactor99 TDPRI Member

Tortilla Flats in Santa Fe is great (NM style). Gazpacho in Durango, CO is quite good NM eats also.

20. Whatizitman

Whatizitman Tele-Afflicted

Osterizer was a brand of blender. I still sometimes use that term as generic for blender.

Fresh coriander is cilantro in the States. Although, dried coriander seeds is typically called coriander. Cilantro is the fresh stalks. Yum.

Lettuce is forboden on real tacos. Cilantro is lettuce.

t guitar floyd and Flyboy like this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.