Best Mexican Restaurants

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by chet again, May 10, 2019.

1. dkmw

dkmw Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

I've had great Mexican food in Monterrey, San Blas, Guadalajara, Zihautanejo, Mazatlan, Saltillo, Ciudad Victoria, Puerto Escondido, Puerto Vallarta, Zacatecas, and a lot of small towns in between.

OlRedNeckHippy likes this.
  2. OlRedNeckHippy

OlRedNeckHippy Friend of Leo's

Taco De Cabeza!
    From a horse drawn (mule pulled) taco cart in Agua Prieta, Sonora, Mexico.
    Best beef I've ever eaten.

3. catdaddy

catdaddy Tele-Holic

Been living in Florida for nearly forty years. When I first arrived there was a place in Clearwater called Casa Juanita which had outstanding authentic Mexican food (chili rellenos to die for!). They closed up 35 years ago, and I haven't eaten decent Mexican food in the state since. I envy those of you with access to great Mexican cuisine. Unfortunately, now I'm craving some, and none of the recommendations above are close enough for me to get to by dinner time.

Whatizitman and Flyboy like this.
  4. Flyboy

Flyboy Tele-Meister

Same here! But curry's on the table tonight. Guac, chips, salsa, grilled shrimp, refried beans and tortillas tomorrow night for sure.

How does a guitar forum manage to kick in the appetite??

5. Anita Bonghit

Anita Bonghit Tele-Meister

We go to a place in Glenwood Springs. Co called Slope & Hatch. All they serve is tacos but they are the best I've ever had. They have been voted BEST TACOs in the country several times. My favorite is shrimp po boy tacos. To die for.

6. SolidSteak

SolidSteak Friend of Leo's

Yeah, but was it real, authentic Mexican food? :D

7. AJBaker

AJBaker Friend of Leo's

Not here...
    Most Mexican food here is barely a step up from old el paso supermarket mix, and if it is good it's probably ridiculously expensive.

As a child I visited my grandparents in New Mexico and I have vague memories of the food, but it was so long ago (I was about 6 or 7 at the time. I'd love to try that stuff again.

8. JL_LI

JL_LI Friend of Leo's

I’ve been in 49 states, nothing much to draw me to North Dakota. The best Mexican food is in Texas and the farther south the better. But what we think of as Mexican food is so limited. Seafood dishes in Veracruz are amazing. I ate in a churascaria in Porto Vallarta that was very Mexican, not Brazilian at all. No feed lot beef so it tasted like cow, not corn. And the salsas were to die for. Fine Mexican restaurants in Mexico City are nothing like in the states. Bar food? I had salted fried crickets in Queretero. And they tasted good before the third Modelo. Caesar salad was invented by a chef in Acapulco. Salads made with locally grown produce are great. Don’t worry about washed vegetables. Most places the water is safer than Detroit. If you want the real deal visit Mexico. Texas can be very good to excellent, but mostly an American take on what’s in Mexico.

Uncle Daddy likes this.
  9. Mike Eskimo

Mike Eskimo Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

Nah.

Southwest Detroit is Mexican Town and Lupita’s is the best joint down there.

No melted cheese, no overstuffed burritos - none of that crap.

They’ve got these beans that cook for a day or two (whole beans) that will make you backflip they’re so good and the al pastor tacos ? Aye caramba !

Lies&Distortion likes this.
  10. stnmtthw

stnmtthw Friend of Leo's

I live in Albuquerque. I can't go three blocks without finding New Mexican food that puts anything in the rest of the country to shame. Or I could just have my wife cook, and put all those restaurants to shame.

I love it here.

SolidSteak likes this.
  11. Mike Eskimo

Flint

Flint

Flint had contaminated water.

An hour and a half north of here.

Flint stopped piping up and using Detroit’s water and that’s when their trouble started.

Detroit is among the best municipal water supplies in America and has been for decades.

Lawn Guy land - don’t get me started ! :mad:

Lies&Distortion likes this.
  12. Whatizitman

Whatizitman Tele-Afflicted

Yup. Carnitas. If either they don't have carnitas, or the carnitas suck, I will never go back.

Surprisingly, we have a local place here that has some of the best carnitas I've had, outside of TX and Southwest. Right here in Appalachia. The place has been a gawdsend for me. Let's just say the Mexican food around here is sub-standard at best. Gawdbless the locals who keep recommending me their favorite places. Of course all of them suck freely. I'm a Mexican Food snob. What can I say?

But this place is pretty darn good. Favorite on the menu is Cochinita Roja. But their straight up carnitas really are good, too. Great margaritas, as well.

http://www.tequilagrillwv.com/index.php/menu/pork

t guitar floyd likes this.
  13. FMA

FMA Poster Extraordinaire

I have had Mexican food in Austin, Houston, San Antonio, Southern Cali, northern Cali, New Mexico, Arizona and a few other states. One of the best restaurants is a local joint here in central Pa. called Fiesta Mexico. It's family owned, with several locations, and the food is always excellent. Being a regular, I know most of the waitstaff so it's a friendly place.

That said, some of the best Mexican food I ever had was near Avondale in Pa., mushroom farming territory. Along the highway, there were a number of Mexican groceries and restaurants that catered to the migrant workers who worked on the mushroom farms. One place was a grocery/restaurant. You would go into the grocery store and place your order and pay for it. Every entree was five bucks. Then, you'd walk outside and go around to the other side of the building where the restaurant dining room was located. The food was excellent. Unfortunately, though, the place burned down a few years back and did not rise from the ashes.

And that said, the best Mexican food I ever had was cooked by my ex-wife's family. They were first generation from Mexico, settling in Abilene and Austin. My ex's aunts made the best tamales I've ever had. They always made fresh tortillas.

14. dkmw

dkmw Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

:lol::lol::lol::lol:

15. Classicrock

Classicrock TDPRI Member

I grew up in So Cal, live in Arizona and travel to New Mexico regularly. There is a big difference between So Cal Mexican food which is influenced by the Baja area of Mexico and the New Mexico style of food. I love them both. My favorite So Cal restaurant was El Gallito in Cathedral City however they recently closed after 40 years do to area re-development it was actually in a house. My favorite New Mexico restaurant is Sadies, Hatch Chilies are the secret and unrolled stacked enchiladas or stuffed sopapilla's are their speciality. The stacked enchiladas with a fried egg on top is Albuquerque style. Yum.

t guitar floyd likes this.
  16. Whatizitman

Whatizitman Tele-Afflicted

Nope. Wrong. I grew up in South OC. Sorry, but CA Mexican food pails in comparison to the rest of the Southwest. Good tacos? Sure. But every corner in the Southwest has a place with good tacos. Sonorran, Yucatan, Central, Guadalajaran, Tex-Mex, Santa Fe style - doesn't matter. It's all Mexican. And it's all good.

But true to Californians, as long as they think they got it all goin' on, everyone else just shakes their heads and moves on.

I know, man. It took me many years of living outside of CA to come to grips with this.

[​IMG]

17. Lies&Distortion

Lies&Distortion Tele-Holic

Yeah, I hear you on Detroit water. Flint was politics more than water quality. Not saying there were no issues with water quality, but nothing unique to the water in Flint. But we can't talk about that here and who wants to.

Lupitas huh? I have wondered where to go in Mexican town. Cool.

There are Mexicans making real, good food all over the country. But in the past Americans wouldn't eat it unless covered in cheese, etc. Fortunately that is changing. Same with Chinese food. The bad stuff isn't usually what the people running the shops would make for themselves - it was what they thought people wanted.

Mike Eskimo likes this.
  18. Lies&Distortion

Lies&Distortion Tele-Holic

Atlanta has killer Mexican food too.

19. FMA

FMA Poster Extraordinaire

Thank God. I remember when the only Mexican restaurant in town was Chi-Chi's, the Olive Garden of Mexican food. Simply awful.

Mike Eskimo likes this.
  20. Mike Eskimo

Yeah Lupitas and Evies right across the street is good too. And Los Galanes down the street on the corner has both Murxican ;) and real Mexican . I always get the Chicken & cactus with rice.

“Murxican” - I’m claiming that .

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.