Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups darrenriley.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com

Best Luthier in Minnesota?

Discussion in 'Acoustic Heaven' started by Cazualwhiteguy, Feb 13, 2018.

1. Cazualwhiteguy

Cazualwhiteguy Tele-Meister

Feb 21, 2017
    Minneapolis, MN
    Looking for input as far as who may be the most trusted luthier in MN for acoustic repairs. If you saw my other recent thread you saw my Martin D-35 with a couple issues that could be fixed. I'm always hesitant leaving my guitars in somebody else's hands so curious if anyone has good reports for more in depth acoustic repairs from luthiers around the Twin Cities area?

Thanks!

2. troy2003

troy2003 Friend of Leo's

Mar 30, 2010
    Central Minnesota
    Rusan Guitar Works in Bloomington for electric. Unsure if he does acoustics though, but he would probably know who to refer people to.

3. Random1643

Random1643 Tele-Meister

Mar 11, 2015
    Upper Midwest
    Hmm, until recently we had a very skilled luthier/restorer, Rick Leach, in St Cloud. He's no longer with us, I am sad to say. RIP Rick.

Lately I've been getting electric and acoustic work done by Leonard Shapiro Guitar Repair http://moseso.com/lsgr/ in St Paul. I can't say that they're the best for what you need fixed, Cazual, but they've been creative perfectionists, if that makes sense, for my projects so far.

4. troy2003

troy2003 Friend of Leo's

Mar 30, 2010
    Central Minnesota
    Could call Willies in St. Paul, see who they reccomend.

Random1643 likes this.

5. Cazualwhiteguy

Feb 21, 2017
    Minneapolis, MN
    Thanks for the replies guys. I've purchased some hard to find parts from Leonard Shapiro in the past and I know Willie's has an in house luthier who's supposedly pretty good too. Any more suggestions are greatly appreciated!

Random1643 likes this.

6. FMA

FMA Poster Extraordinaire

Apr 29, 2003
    Some good suggestions. Maybe call or email Martin customer service and ask them to recommend somebody. They may keep an up-to-date list of authorized luthiers around the country.

Random1643 likes this.

7. Flakey

Flakey Friend of Leo's

Dave Rusan has worked on my pre War Epiphone Emperor and 57 Byrdland. Excellent work but not quick turn around but the best acoustic repairer for decades has been Charles Hoffman. He and Dave are Martin warranty authorized repairers.
    http://www.hoffmanguitars.com/

You my want to call Pete Wagner at Lavonne Music for other recommendations.

Last edited: Feb 14, 2018

8. Cazualwhiteguy

Feb 21, 2017
    Minneapolis, MN
    Thanks, I had Hoffman reglue the pickguard on my Hummingbird because it was peeling up when I bought it new. I was never happy with the job, it still peels up in about 3 places and I always thought I could have aligned it better myself, there was a gap along the neck where the straight section of the pickguard should sit flush. However, I've heard many times he does good work, maybe I just got unlucky..

9. Random1643

Random1643 Tele-Meister

Mar 11, 2015
    Upper Midwest
    Just heard from Leonard Shapiro last night. That industrial building his shop is in has been sold and the tenants are headed out over the next several weeks. He'd not planning a new shop elsewhere. So if you decide to go the Shapiro route get your project to him soon.

I'm bummed. He's been my go-to guitar & banjo guy the last coupla years. I have 2 more projects for him, and then I guess I'll also be on the hunt for a good luthier/guitar tech/restorer in Minnesota. The young guy who worked for him is also highly skilled; I wonder what he's going to do.

10. Charlie Bernstein

Charlie Bernstein Poster Extraordinaire

Apr 26, 2003
    Augusta, Maine
    I'm told Twin Town Guitars in Minneapolis is a good joint. They must have a few good repair folks on tap. You might check them out.

11. r1962j

r1962j Tele-Meister

Oct 31, 2010
    St. Paul, MN
    I would check with Vig guitars in St. Paul too. Ted is a great guy and he has several really good luthiers that work for him or through him. I'm sure he could recommend somebody you would be happy with.

Random1643 and Flakey like this.

12. Mr Ridesglide

Mr Ridesglide Tele-Afflicted Silver Supporter

Dec 11, 2009
    Bloomington, MN
    Ted Vig is a stand up guy all the way. I know he does tons of electric guitars and winds his own pickups, but not sure what he does on acoustics. Did you call over to Wilie's to see what they say?

Random1643 likes this.

13. Random1643

Random1643 Tele-Meister

Mar 11, 2015
    Upper Midwest
    An update re Leonard Shapiro Guitar Repair. I dropped off my last project with him this morning. He's still going to shut down his current shop on Wabash Avenue - taking in projects until the end of March and wrapping them up through the end of April. After that, if everything falls in place Leonard will be working 2-3 days a week at the above-mentioned Vig Guitars. That simplifies my life as I will just shift to over Vig's. Unless another tech/luthier/restorer gets active in my area a couple of hours drive north of The Cities.

Mr Ridesglide and Flakey like this.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.