Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups darrenriley.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com

Best Leslie effects pedal?

Discussion in 'The Stomp Box' started by The_Nork, Jun 12, 2018.

Tags:
  1. The_Nork

The_Nork TDPRI Member

Jun 6, 2018
    Potsdam, NY
    Hey, all! Just curious to see if there's a consensus out there for the best Leslie emulating guitar effects pedal? I've had a Strymon Lex before which was killer, and a Boss RT-20 which was kinda neat. Thoughts?

2. Mr. Lumbergh

Mr. Lumbergh Poster Extraordinaire

Jun 13, 2013
    Initech, Inc.
    Neo Ventilator. It’s the only one the really nails that “grind” you get from a Leslie. A close second is the EHX Lester, the K model specifically because of the cabinet sim.

Last edited: Jun 13, 2018
    mad dog and The_Nork like this.

3. RLee77

RLee77 Friend of Leo's

May 15, 2016
    Silicon Valley
    I love this classic leslie grind in this intro... from an oldie:

(I miss the old rock organ sounds.)

4. The_Nork

The_Nork TDPRI Member

Jun 6, 2018
    Potsdam, NY
    I've heard great things about the Ventilator. Does anyone have any experience with the Mini Ventilator? Does it do the big brother's sound justice, or is something off? I've also been thinking about a Rotosphere after hearing that Anders Osborne uses one (love his use of it on his records). Definitely thinking about the Ventilator, though. Or the mini version, if it's up to the task.

5. stevehollx

stevehollx TDPRI Member

Feb 17, 2015
    durham nc
    I went though quite a few to find a rotary pedal that didn't take up half my pedalboard. For a standard size one, the Digitech Venturavibe is something to look at. Advantage is it does a Univibe too.

The Vent* pedal are probably more authentic though but this had the best sound per footprint for a rotary I could find.

6. moosie

moosie Doctor of Teleocity Silver Supporter

Jul 18, 2010
    Western Connecticut
    I tried pretty much all of them, and the only one that didn't sound fake, to me, was the Neo Ventilator II. Awesome pedal.

Here's what you have to look forward to...

OlDefGuy, Mr Green Genes and The_Nork like this.

7. OlDefGuy

OlDefGuy TDPRI Member

Jun 7, 2018
    Kansas
    Owned an Option 5 Destination Rotation at onetime and liked it. Speed ramps up and down instead of a hard switch. Wide speed spread. Sold it years ago, thinking about a new one myself. The Pigtronix Rototron has really caught my eye as a contender. Plenty of YouTube videos on both or others you might be considering. Good Luck!

8. The_Nork

The_Nork TDPRI Member

Jun 6, 2018
    Potsdam, NY
    Man, that Ventilator II sure does sound nice... I think it's going on the wishlist. Thanks for your input, everyone!

9. Ira7

Ira7 Poster Extraordinaire

Jan 8, 2008
    Coral Springs, FL
    Try using a vibrato pedal with your amp's onboard vibrato.

Play with your settings.

It actually works.

The_Nork likes this.

10. Bob Womack

Bob Womack Tele-Meister

This:
    [​IMG]

It is even relatively small for pedalboards. Of course, it is useless without this:

[​IMG]
    ...and that isn't going to make it on a pedalboard. Sorry. Pullin' you chain.

Bob

11. vjf1968

vjf1968 Poster Extraordinaire

Jan 9, 2008
    Philadelphia
    The choice of a Leslie simulator is based on what sound you want. Do you want the live sound of a Leslie or a "produced" sound of a Leslie going through a mic, pre amp, EQ, compression, speaker?

12. Flakey

Flakey Friend of Leo's

When not plugged into my Magnatone Twilighter Stereo I use this:

Very affordable!

El Tele Lobo likes this.

13. BigDaddyLH

BigDaddyLH Telefied Ad Free Member

Put more through its paces:

El Tele Lobo likes this.

14. Fiesta Red

Fiesta Red Tele-Afflicted

Nov 15, 2010
    Texas
    On a budget, the Boss RT20 Rotary Ensemble is more than serviceable...just don't ever turn on the Distortion knob (never, ever, ever!).

The Ventilator (both models) are better, but some of us are less flush with cash...for an effect I use 3-4 times in a 40-song gig, I can't justify certain costs until I get richer.

15. mabley123

mabley123 Friend of Leo's

Aug 21, 2011
    ashland kentucky
    Roger Mayer Voodoovibe+

Last edited: Jun 13, 2018

16. Paul Jenkin

Paul Jenkin Tele-Afflicted Silver Supporter

Aug 17, 2017
    Essex, UK
    I had a YouTube video for the Ventilator II in my "recommended" stream last night. It's not a pedal or effect that I knew existed. My only experience to Leslie speakers was via Deep Purple as Jon Lord (and Don Airey) used / use them to great effect.

The YT video was good and the pedal made some interesting sounds - but not something I would go for.

The larger one is about £350, so I will probably live without, at least for now.

17. Chiogtr4x

Chiogtr4x Friend of Leo's

Mar 29, 2007
    Manassas Park, VA
    This is a budget multi-tasker,
    but I use a Boss CE-5 Chorus Ensemble

Since I don't ( often) use a conventional Chorus sound ( but this pedal will give you this too) I set the pedal to the recommended ' Leslie/ spinning speaker' settings from the owners manual ( basically Effect mix, and Rate UP, Depth moderate, and Tone Cuts as indicated) and I get a rich tone!

I also have a setting which ( with OD pedal) gives me a good Lynryd Skynyrd- style ( think Gimme Three Steps) chorus tone.. Versatile pedal!

El Tele Lobo likes this.

18. BigDaddyLH

BigDaddyLH Telefied Ad Free Member

How you can tell it's a German pedal, not Chinese!

£350 = $USD 468. That's actually cheaper than the list price in the US, which is $USD 499. You should get one just for that fact.

Paul Jenkin likes this.

19. Paul Jenkin

Paul Jenkin Tele-Afflicted Silver Supporter

Aug 17, 2017
    Essex, UK
    £350 for a pedal I'm very unlikely to use - just on the basis that it's German and cheaper in the UK than in the USA? Think I'll pass :lol:

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.