Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com

Best lefty tele… is there any?

Discussion in 'Telecaster Discussion Forum' started by rooboo, Sep 28, 2017.

1. vintagelove

vintagelove Tele-Meister

Oct 18, 2014
    NY
    Honestly, as long as you get along with the neck shape, it's all about the fretwork. Have a GREAT tech do the final touches, and you'll likely be very happy.

That being said, wood choice matters (it does, and if you can't hear it, you need to work on your critical listening skills). So choose accordingly.

2. rooboo

rooboo Tele-Meister

Aug 18, 2017
    Sweden
    Yeah, I know all this of course. I'm new to Telecasters, but I have been playing guitars for over 30 years. I know the deal. :)

3. rooboo

rooboo Tele-Meister

Aug 18, 2017
    Sweden
    That's my opinion too. That have always been the case. But if you compare the listings of lefty guitars in production Fender has 15 (6 of them Squiers). Gibson has 25 (7 Epiphones). So Gibson has a much greater range of guitars produced in lefty. The're pretty pricey though.

Lefty Addams likes this.

4. Lefty Addams

Lefty Addams Tele-Holic

May 6, 2012
    England
    Yes Fender have been proper bar stewards to lefty players over the years, don't get me started :mad: at least Gibson will give us some, Fender give us some but we always get the mosts mundane colours of course. For example the latest Am. Pro comes in 3 finishes for us and bleedin' 10 for righties, like I said, don't get me started.

rooboo and Nubs like this.

5. vintagelove

vintagelove Tele-Meister

Oct 18, 2014
    NY

In that case, if you have a great luthier available, put together a partscaster.

I'm partial to all maple myself.

rooboo likes this.

6. 24 track

24 track Poster Extraordinaire Silver Supporter

Nov 6, 2014
    kamloops bc
    I dont get the bozillion models of a tele or strat , you either have a tele, or a tele with fender pickups, or a tele with fender HB, or a hollow or semi hollow body but its a tele, it sounds like one , smells like one, and looks like one, and plays like one, plus its in the proper price range that tele's used to be.

rooboo likes this.

7. cmorsparks

cmorsparks TDPRI Member

Sep 21, 2017
    Puyallup Washington
    My tele story..? I learned turning guitars over. Naturally 1st choice, had 2 RH blonde/maple teles in 70s. Wanted Dimarzio pups on, then. But cut away on bottom more. So got this G&L lefty/righty F100. $600 from factory in 81. . Those RH teles with split tail tuners I didn't like are worth a mint now. Anyway long story short, found a 52 RI Left body w/ Dimarzio Pre T and Area B and Hipshot bridge in NY, then a RH maple neck in Tx .. (pictured on couch) maple best IMO. I think it clacks, quacks and barks like a telequacker ought to.

Attached Files:

rooboo likes this.

8. Erik Samson

Erik Samson TDPRI Member

Oct 26, 2016
    Singapore
    Another fellow lefty here, I'm a bassist who picked up playing electric guitar a year ago, been messing around on my second-hand 2008 MIM Standard. I've modded it a lot since getting it (disliked the stock neck pickup and standard hardware), but the thing that made me buy it in the first place was the Electron Blue Metallic finish. This is quite a rare colour, even more so on lefties, since it was only in production for about two years ('06 to '08??).

The attached pic shows what the colour really looks like in good lighting (in direct sunlight, it can look almost like Lake Placid Blue); the pic in my avatar was taken in the evening, showing how dark it can look in low lighting, almost black. Stock pickguard was white, I had the black one put in (along with vintage-style hardware at the time I uploaded my current avatar) to give it a retro look (the white one ruined the contrast with the maple fingerboard and just made the guitar look cheap as a whole). The combination of vintage hardware and unusual colour helped this guitar create its own unique vibe.

If you ever come across any lefty Teles with these unusual/rare colours and with good pricing, would be good to get one, there aren't many of 'em left.

Attached Files:

Lefty Addams and rooboo like this.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.