Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com

Best lefty tele… is there any?

Discussion in 'Telecaster Discussion Forum' started by rooboo, Sep 28, 2017.

1. rooboo

rooboo TDPRI Member

Aug 18, 2017
    Sweden
    I've just two years ago discovered the beauty of playing Telecasters. Been a Les Paul player since christmas day 1987. With a few years of advetures in stratocaster-land in the mid 90's.

But I play lefty. And as always production model lefties are few and far apart. Fender offers right now just a coulpe of guitars. From Squier Classic Vibe to Fender American Vintage 52 – it's all about price range really. They're trying to build the same kind of guitar – a classic telecaster. OK but there's got to be more.

Do you know of any cool out of production lefty Fender/Squier/Whatevs… telecaster to keep an eye open for in the "used lefty guitars" searches on eBay and such. I know nothing, I'm from Gibson county.

Last edited: Sep 28, 2017
    Nubs likes this.

2. bacongrease

bacongrease Tele-Meister

Mar 27, 2013
    I’d get a lefty Standard and drop in a good pickup, get your favorite strings. That’s the majority of it.
    When you’re picky or antsy about modifying righty might as well be lefty—that is, if you’re particular.
    That CV is really nice btw.

rooboo, Nubs and TigerG like this.

3. Lef T

Lef T Tele-Meister

Apr 24, 2016
    Ontario Canada
    I'm a lefty and last year bought an American Standard Tele.
    They are out of production now.
    It's got the twisted Tele neck pickup and Broadcaster bridge pickup.
    I really like it and feel no need to change anything out.
    Fender ships these with right handed volume and tone pots,which are totally unusable.
    My tech replaced them with CTS left handed pots and now everything is beautiful.
    You can probably find an American Standard cheaper than the new model.
    I play mine through a Mesa Mark V and can't help but smile every time I crank it up.
    I gigged a Gibson 335 for over 20 years,but moved onto Strats and Teles.
    I soley gigged a Strat for the last 15 years,but now have gone back to the Tele.
    I plan to play this one for a long time.

[​IMG]

rooboo and Nubs like this.

4. TigerG

TigerG Tele-Holic

Aug 14, 2015
    Nashville
    To the great suggestions already made, I would add the best lefty Tele is the one you build for yourself to your own tastes & specs. That isn't necessarily a budget option though.

Also, if you ever cross paths with an 80's Tokai Breezysound, definitely take a close look.

rooboo likes this.

5. straightface

straightface Friend of Leo's

Nov 17, 2006
    MA
    For me this was the answer. Even if you don't build it yourself, get the specs you like best and have someone build it for you. Or check out some of the smaller builders. Better than any production Fenders and in most cases pretty good pricing too.

rooboo likes this.

6. Nubs

Nubs Tele-Holic

Aug 16, 2014
    Houston, TX
    I've been playing S and T styles for a while now. I would look at G&L as well and their Tribute ASAT Classic. It's a mighty finely crafted axe and sounds lovely with the MFD pickups. Other than that, Fender makes MIMs and MIAs. If you can pick up a Japanese tele for a decent price, I would say do it without thinking. MIJs are VERY nice guitars as well.

Food for thought. Go lefites!!

8barlouie likes this.

7. rooboo

rooboo TDPRI Member

Aug 18, 2017
    Sweden
    Cool! I'll definitely have a AM Standard on the watch out list. What year is your guitar?

8. rooboo

rooboo TDPRI Member

Aug 18, 2017
    Sweden
    80's Tokai Breezysound, check! I'll look out for it. Thanks!
    And build one myself is already taking form in my head. I've made a Photoshop of how I'd like the final result. Click link below:

https://www.instagram.com/p/BMB34AGFJWc

TigerG likes this.

9. rooboo

rooboo TDPRI Member

Aug 18, 2017
    Sweden
    I've never even seen a lefty G&L other than pictures on www. I'll definitely look out for it. MIJ tele, didn't know there ever was MIJ lefty teles. But that makes sense, I got a MIJ 80's strat so why not teles. The strat is a pretty good build, so if the tele is up to par with that I'd be impressed.

Thanks! Lefties unite!

Nubs likes this.

10. 24 track

24 track Poster Extraordinaire Ad Free Member

Nov 6, 2014
    kamloops bc
    I just got a lefty squier tele for 200.00 canuck pesos, I have to say I am blown away , first by the sound, then by the playability, this is the first fender I have ownd that I did not want to rip the guts out of it, I built 7 pickguards for my strats before I found a sound I liked, but this right from the box was great ( and cheap)

P1011793.JPG

Erik Samson likes this.

11. screamin eagle

screamin eagle Friend of Leo's

Oct 9, 2008
    S. CA

12. Lef T

Lef T Tele-Meister

Apr 24, 2016
    Ontario Canada
    My AM Standard is a 2016.
    I'm not sure what years they used the Twisted Tele,Broadcaster pickup comb.
    Maybe starting around 2013.
    I like this pickup combination over others I've tried.
    Another nice looking Tele is the MIJ double bound.
    Haven't played one,but have heard good reports and they are really good lookers.
    I've seen lefty ones for sale in Europe.
    Shouldn't be hard to track one down.

13. Nubs

Nubs Tele-Holic

Aug 16, 2014
    Houston, TX
    Did you have a budget for the new tele? That will definitely narrow down the selection.

14. boris bubbanov

boris bubbanov Telefied Ad Free Member

Your choices as a Lefty playing left handed, are somewhat restricted so my recommendation is to focus on the sources and companies that provide you with more choices:

1) USA G + Ls;

2) Japanese Fenders;

3) Chinese Squiers; and

Some vintage Fenders.

Otherwise you're stuck playing a small number of models in limited colors. That would irritate me if I played Lefty.

15. rooboo

rooboo TDPRI Member

Aug 18, 2017
    Sweden
    Cool, looks like the Affinity. I've never come across one of those. Seams insanely low priced. Win-win if you like it. Congrats!

24 track likes this.

16. rooboo

rooboo TDPRI Member

Aug 18, 2017
    Sweden
    I do have a budget but I already have a tele that I love (Squier CV). So I'm looking for something a little different. What Fender offers now in lefty are too similar to the CV. I'm after something like a Thinline, or a chambered, maybe P90 neck, maybe an odd color… main focus is thicker neck with little or no finish since the modern C neck on my Squier CV Tele is too thin and too sticky. Plus I'd rather have someting used since I don't really like brand new guitars anyway.

Last edited: Sep 29, 2017

17. rooboo

rooboo TDPRI Member

Aug 18, 2017
    Sweden

18. trev333

trev333 Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

I've made as many lefty teles as righty teles for players/friends....

I'm surprised more leftys don't resort to building their own..to get the one they want.....

never too late to start a new hobby.... you must have some nice timbers in Sweden to try out....

hardware is easy to source/post as well... pickups, etc....;)

westy PU routs.JPG Blackguard Pine lefty.JPG .... that's a black guard under the protective paper..;)

TigerG, Nubs, rooboo and 1 other person like this.

19. Musekatcher

Musekatcher Tele-Holic

Jan 15, 2013
    Heart O' Dixie
    You got it right - G&L produced a lot of lefties from day one. Fender Japan also produced more lefties than the US factory. Somebody (MF probably) ordered like a million lefty BSB Affinity lefties that are surplusing now on CL and Ebay. Other imports like RW produce lefties. In general, and this applies to other instruments, the imports from the East and Europe produce more lefties than in the US. PS - its much easier to find lefty Fender products and copies, than Gibson products.

Nubs and rooboo like this.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.