Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com

Best Inexpensive Kit Tele

Discussion in 'Tele-Technical' started by guitardedzen, Oct 30, 2007.

1. LeftyAl

LeftyAl Friend of Leo's

Mar 24, 2010
    Fl.
    I'm only trying to help. You can buy a new Affinity tele for @ 179, look for coupons, you might get it for less, it ships free .It's a good guitar.I've spent a good deal of money finishing a guitar 30$ easy.those kits don't ship free .It will most likely cost more to build a kit guitar than to buy an affinity.Now if building is what you are into ,go for it .Look up guitar projects on Ebay.You will have to pay shipping.

2. LoudTele

LoudTele Tele-Meister

Sep 12, 2009
    Wisconsin
    +1

I just bought a great one for $150; I think I like the neck more than my MIM.

3. Jupiter

Jupiter Telefied Ad Free Member

Jun 22, 2010
    Osaka, Japan
    Another vote for modding a used Squier or something. It's cheaper, you get better parts to start with, and you can go just as deep with it as you like in terms of modding.

I get it that you want to do something more fun than just buy a guitar.

I've assembled a partscaster (the pic on the left, not the one at the bottom:D), and it was a lot fun, and I'm happy with it because I was able to spec it exactly as I liked, but it wasn't cheap by any means, and I assure you that if you want to upgrade tuners/pots/pickups, nut, level/dress the fretboard, re-finish, swap the PG, etc., you'll cover 95% of the stuff you'd do screwing together a kit--but you can do it as fast or slow as you want, and you have something playable right off the bat. It's also fun to watch the guitar transform under your ministrations. Heck, if you build a cheapo kit, you'll probably do all of this stuff again anyway....

On the other hand, that DC LP Jr kit on the BYOG site looks mighty tasty!:lol:

4. handmadeax

handmadeax TDPRI Member

Sep 7, 2011
    Lima, Ohio
    I've never built from a kit before, but if you looking for a decent, cheap guitar you can build one for not very much. I made a strat style for around 80 bucks once.
    Golden Gate necks cut the price down A LOT.
    I'd recommend an ebay body if you really don't have the resources for building one.

Bottom line- Start from scratch. Find cheap used parts. Build a unique, personalized tele that kills kit guitars.

5. Rob DiStefano

Rob DiStefano Poster Extraordinaire Vendor Member

Mar 3, 2003
    NJ via TX
    never seen a "tele kit" worth buying, all are just a pile of junk waiting to bite you in the a$$ and waste yer time. if guitar buck$ are a factor, better to buy used or a cheap "tele" knock off from gfs or rondo.

6. SixShooter

SixShooter Friend of Leo's

Sep 20, 2008
    Cincinnati
    If the OP wants to get experience putting a guitar together there's no way to do it for anywhere near $130 without using one of these kits. A cheapo neck neck and body from ebay would run him $150 alone. Add another $200 for all the other parts needed. Granted he'll end up with something of mediocre quality. He could always pass it along to some underprivileged kid who's just starting out. This guy is young and has a baby on the way. Not everyone has $400+ to spend on building a guitar. It sounds like he is very interested in the building process. I completely reject the idea that he won't learn anything from building a kit. Even with good components there are adjustments and fixes required. He'll learn to:
    Mount a neck
    Reshape a headstock
    fit a pickguard
    fit a control plate
    wire up the pickups and controls
    install tuners
    finish the guitar and neck
    Perform a set-up on the finished guitar

All of these are important skills applicable to building a higher quality guitar in the future.

The only plausible argument I hear is that the components are low quality. I'm sure they are. He could always upgrade things like pots, switches, and pickups as he gets some money. At some point he could use those for future builds.

7. Rob DiStefano

Mar 3, 2003
    NJ via TX
    imho, one can't learn anything useful from attempting to polish a turd. in fact, one may acquire bad habits that will require retraining and undoing. one doesn't build a viable guitar from krap, nor acquire real world viable skills. but as always, ymmv.

8. JimmyJam

JimmyJam Tele-Afflicted

Mar 5, 2009
    So Cal
    I seriously hope the OP found something since Oct 2007, that's a long time to wait for a guitar or answer... :p

9. SixShooter

SixShooter Friend of Leo's

Sep 20, 2008
    Cincinnati
    Oops- zombie thread!

10. esquire_slinger

esquire_slinger TDPRI Member

Sep 18, 2011
    gilmer texas
    actually myth busters proved that you can infact polish a turd .... to a high gloss shine even

11. xXJesusFreakXx

xXJesusFreakXx NEW MEMBER!

Oct 4, 2011
    Florida

I have been looking into this kind of guitar. I have an SX from Rondo Music that i got used w/ a bass and two amps for $120 total. The bass itself was worth the price for one and the guitar was just a complete steal. It's very nice playing wise but it's more of a rock guitar. You can see videos on youtube of people playing these knock-off tele's. Just type in "SX Furrian" and plenty will pop up.

12. Zigg49

Zigg49 TDPRI Member

Oct 27, 2011
    Warwick uk
    Over here in the uk, we can't get Xaviere or Rondo guitars (I look forward to being proved wrong) but we have our own 'cheapie' brands in the form of Chord and Stagg. Has anyone got any experience of either one?
    Chord in particular offer a Tele for £89 ($143). I can get a new Squier Affinity for £145 ($238) Used Squiers are like rocking horse sh*t!
    I'm after a Tele but am not sure which way to go......or even to try a kit.
    There are so many conflicting and diverse opinions I find it rather confusing.
    I'm spending so much time reading the posts in this excellent forum that I don't have much time left for anything else anyway !!:rolleyes:

13. Rob DiStefano

Mar 3, 2003
    NJ via TX
    i dunno squat about uk guitars/parts/pricing, nor what's a chord or stagg, but the price you listed for the affinity is waaaay more than what's on a usa price tag. building a kit, no matter how good or bad the "kit" is, will always require a level of smarts and tooling on yer part. hope someone with scoop on those local brands of yours will chime in .....

14. Thinlineggman

Thinlineggman Tele-Afflicted

Jan 15, 2011
    Oregon City, OR
    Do a parts build guitarfetish.com!!! I did a bass build with one of their bodies and parts, then bought a used squier neck off of Craigslist. The total was around $250 (most of that was in paint and the neck) and I came out with a new main player and a TON of knowledge gained. Also a couple scars;) haha. And their hardware is actually pretty good (AND CHEAP).

15. Zigg49

Zigg49 TDPRI Member

Oct 27, 2011
    Warwick uk
    I forgot to mention that I'm left handed...... Guitarfetish ship worldwide but don't do any left handed stuff.....DOH!:(
    We have suppliers of kits and parts over here but are wayy more expensive than guitarfetish (ever heard of 'Rip off Britain'?)
    Never mind, something'll turn up.....;)

16. Zigg49

Zigg49 TDPRI Member

Oct 27, 2011
    Warwick uk
    Just looked on Amazon.com and a left handed Affinity is going for $187.20...(RH $179.99)
    Amazon .co.uk don't even list a LH but a RH is $242.83 !!
    Did I mention Rip off Britain!!?:mad:

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.