Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com

Best Inexpensive Kit Tele

Discussion in 'Tele-Technical' started by guitardedzen, Oct 30, 2007.

1. Chamelion 6

Chamelion 6 TDPRI Member

Feb 4, 2010
    San Antonio
    Try the SX

http://www.rondomusic.com/stl503ts.html

I don't know anything about the kits, so I won't comment there.

But the SX guitars are a steal for the price and a perfect base for upgrades. Lets be honest here you don't buy a $109 guitar as an investemnt, you buy it to play. I have 5 SX guitars so far and love each of them.

In my opinion the hardware is as good or better than the Squires as are the pups, but the necks and bodies are generally better. And the customer service is excellent.

Do some research on the web. I think you'll find they have an excellent reputation.

2. boris bubbanov

boris bubbanov Telefied Ad Free Member

Great care goes into making a beautiful, fully (I mean fully) functioning guitar neck. Both Saga and Grizzly choose to hand the kit builder a neck that would be thrown away by any guitar builder with a well earned reputation for quality.
    There is a difference in every possible respect, in terms of how these kit necks come into existence, and a quality neck. This is what I am saying. The guitar can never be better than a qualified success; and this I feel is unfair to the kitbuilder who works so hard, to be cheated like that. He'd have to make his own guitar neck to have any shot at building a superb guitar - and so he might as well find his own raw materials and bypass Saga and Grizzly altogether.

3. Shepherd

Shepherd Friend of Leo's

Jan 17, 2008
    Maple Ridge, Canada
    +1. You can't polish a turd and that applies to alot of things that grizzly sells.

4. udimet720

udimet720 Tele-Holic

Feb 26, 2008
    Tustin, CA
    In case anyone else is thinking of these things...

usb guitar build - http://machrone.net/usbguitar/

on-board tuner - http://www.stewmac.com/shop/Accessories/Electronic_tuners/N-Tune_Onboard_Guitar_Tuner.html

led's - Alembic offers this on many of their guitar and basses. The circuit is pretty simple. You could gut all the parts you needed from one of those light up kids swords that have become popular. It's just the led's, batteries, and resistors to set the current. To get it to light up, you could use the frets for the ground connection. So, when the string is fretted, it completes the circuit. You'd have to be able to remove the fretboard, then feed thin wire (pickupwire) up to the frets from the circuit below. There would also have to be a connection where the body/neck meet.

micro amp or onboard effects - lots of places for DIY effects. runoffgroove.com has some very low parts count ones including amps. Could easily be hidden beneath a strat or tele pickguard.

5. kidmo

kidmo Friend of Leo's

May 25, 2008
    Funkytown
    Are you affiliated with the spam in your post? If so, it is not allowed or wanted. Thanks

6. dhpdavis

dhpdavis TDPRI Member

Mar 22, 2010
    baroda michigan
    Man you're a real pessimist

if someones inclined to build a guitar let em build a damn guitar, and if they want to they very well should. I mean who the f are you?

7. teleforumnoob

teleforumnoob Tele-Afflicted

May 25, 2010
    North Alabama
    If I was going to do a kit or inexpensive parts build Id go GFS. Bet even they say the kit parts are basically crap.
    I vote used Squire or Rondo SX. The Affinity Squires are good players and a new butterscotch one is under $200.
    SX-(never played the guitars but I have a bass)good wood in the body and neck. A set up job is all is required for a nice around the house guitar. The pickups are decent. The hardware is functional and as good or better than any kit. As was said above a great platform, and decent as is.

8. DocG

DocG Tele-Holic

I don't think there's any point in building a Tele from a kit. Building your own from parts or from scratch allows you to do as much or as little of the woodworking and finishing as you want to.

I'm not ready to do any finishing yet, and I wanted a father-son project that we would actually complete, so we put our effort into learning how to decide on the components we'd like. There are lots of decisions to make - body wood, fretboard wood, neck radius and contour, pickups, tuners, bridge, even string ferrules and string trees. We learned why you'd choose flat or staggered pickup poles, Alnico 2 or 5 magnets, what the tradeoff is between pickup overwinding and tone, and many other details.

What we ended up with wasn't cheap, but the cost was probably what we would have spent buying and modding a kit, a Squier or a Rondo. We got a gorgeous, high quality guitar with exactly the features we wanted and learned to do the assembly and setup. Next time, we'll build a body from scratch and finish it; the time after that we'll make the neck too.

9. fatcat

fatcat Friend of Leo's

Jul 6, 2010
    Very Deep South
    i'm working on a partcaster with stuff I bought on ebay.

I bought the stuff, carefully, over a period of time untill I had enough parts to assemble a guitar....$250

New Allparts body loaded (cheaply), Mighty Might birds-eye maple neck, with Fender American standard tuning heads.

the pickups that came with the Allparts body are crap, but I am going to get some duncans..

the best part is this is just a Tele to play around with and doesn't matter if I break something.

10. CRMCRM

CRMCRM TDPRI Member

Dec 14, 2010
    Stevens Point, WI
    Are the Rhondo or the GFS guitars parts compatible? Could I swap out a Warmoth neck, for example?

I have an MIM Tele that I like a lot, and really don't want to mess with (much).

11. CRMCRM

CRMCRM TDPRI Member

Dec 14, 2010
    Stevens Point, WI

12. Chet Johnson

Chet Johnson Tele-Afflicted

Dec 17, 2008
    Woodsfield, OH

13. LeftyAl

LeftyAl Friend of Leo's

Mar 24, 2010
    Fl.
    I'd go with Rondo tele (sx or douglas) if you wanted new .You could easily reshape the headstock if bothered you But a used squire can be found on craigslist or Ebay real cheap

14. BYOGuitar

BYOGuitar TDPRI Member

Jan 10, 2011
    Amherst, NH
    BYOGuitar here

Hi Everyone, I own BYOGuitar.com and would be happy to answer any questions people have.

15. daveIT

daveIT Tele-Meister

May 12, 2009
    CO, USA
    Those Xavier ones that GuitarFetish sell any good?

16. Frudoc

Frudoc TDPRI Member

Feb 21, 2011
    Colorado
    I'm late to the party, but for what it's worth, I'll add my two cents.

First, do you want to build a guitar or do you want to own one that you can mod until you are blue in the face? If you want to build something, there are some decent kits out there. Do some research and go from there. But realize that it is totally different than simply modding a guitar. At first I wanted to do a kit, but then I realized that - for me personally - putting the kit together was not the same thing as building a guitar. In fact, the kit guitars are hardly any more "personal" than a modded Affinity, the only real personality coming from the paint job. Of course, you could just as easily scuff a new affinity and repaint. One of these days I want to build something from scratch, but until then, I decided to skip the kits and just get good platforms to mods.

That said, if you want a great Tele platform, I would personally go with a Squier Affinity, A Squier Standard, or a Xaviere XV-820 or XV-835. The Squiers are extremely solid guitars and great modding platforms. In fact, the way I see it, unless you spend over $500 you are more than likely going to want to upgrade pickups, change the nut, and so forth. This being the case, it is often a much better idea to get the $150-$225 guitar you will upgrade than the $300-$450 guitar you will also upgrade: why spend any more money up front than you need to? Of course, in some circumstances, you may want to buy the $350 Squier Tele in stead of the $200 one, but those are far fewer than most people realize I think.

The Xavieres are surprisingly good, and from what the majority of users seem to be saying, they are only getting better. At these price points, quality control is always going to be the wrench in the gears. This is why you will see ten fantastic reviews and 3 lousy ones. Of those three, at least two will usually end up being from people who simply got a lemon. (This would apply equally to the Squiers or anything at these price points). So if you get a bad one, exchange it and try again. But back to the Xavieres, they are good guitars out of the box. Spend a little time tweaking them and setting them up properly and they are generally gems. While they are not quite as "standard" as the Squiers, from what I have read they are not too bad and are more "standard" than the SX's from Rhondo, but I have not examined them thoroughly.

All that to say that I would, unless I was just looking for a project, get one of those three guitars and then have a blast playing it and modding it and making it mine.

17. PennyCentury

PennyCentury Poster Extraordinaire

Apr 16, 2009
    New Hampshire
    My question is -- did Kurt have all those horrible b/w checkerboard doubleneck T-styles repainted, or are these new?

18. bluesy

bluesy Tele-Holic

Mar 17, 2003
    Minnesota
    You can get a fully built "tele" from Rhondo for much less than $130.

19. Codger

Codger Tele-Meister

May 16, 2009
    NJ
    The Rondo SX are very good. They use good wood and the necks are really nice. They are very good right out of the box, and they are worth the effort if you feel like upgrading hardware and pickups. The necks are different. They are a hair wider, chunky and a flatter radius, but a lot of folks love them. Customer service is good. If there is something you don’t like about it, send it back.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.