Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com

Best Hybrid Amplifier

Discussion in 'Amp Central Station' started by 3-Chord-Genius, Dec 2, 2017.

1. 3-Chord-Genius

3-Chord-Genius Friend of Leo's

Apr 3, 2015
    Winchester, VA
    Of course "best" is a matter of preference; "favorite" might be a better word. I've owned three that really rocked my world:

1: Marshall Valvestate. 12AX7 preamp, solid state power amp. Not exactly a JCM800 in tone, but had a real tight bottom end that was great for metal.

2: Marshall Artist 3203 head. Reverse of the Valvestate; solid state preamp, EL84 power section (if I remember right). This amp had a dark, nasty 100% Marshall tone.

3: Dean Markley RM-40-SR rackmount. I don't know why I ever got rid of this. 12AX7 preamp, solid state power amp. Rich, creamy, vintagey overdrive. The beautiful fat tone from this can only be described with stupid words such as those. This photo is not of mine, but it's the same model.

[​IMG]

2. JustABluesGuy

JustABluesGuy Tele-Afflicted

Sep 2, 2016
    Houston, TX
    I once had a VS100 head and it was quite decent. I sometimes wish I had kept the head and just sold the 4x12.

3-Chord-Genius likes this.

3. Deeve

Deeve Tele-Afflicted Silver Supporter

Dec 7, 2009
    Ballard
    Peavey 2x12 VTX ss pre/6L6 power and a "wtf?" phaser array.
    Prolly 50 watts.
    Seriously hacked.
    Painted pink.
    Rescued on CL for what I think was $40.
    Partial cosmetic restoration & casters and Bang!

That's my vote.

Peace - Deeve

Tele-beeb and 3-Chord-Genius like this.

4. Jakedog

Jakedog Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

Mar 26, 2003
    The North Coast
    My faves are the Marshall AVT. The second generation Valvestate. I'm currently gigging a 50 watter.

I used 3203 heads for YEARS. Awesome amps in a lot of way. They're actually 2xEL34 power sections. The single pre tube is split. One side is the phase inverter and one side is the first Gain stage. At least that's how an amp tech explained it to me.

The Artist 3203 heads are outrageous sounding Marshalls. If you find one that isn't, yank out the chassis and clip C13. It'll be awesome, I promise.

5. 3-Chord-Genius

Apr 3, 2015
    Winchester, VA
    It's been years since I had the 3203, but I remember that tone as being menacing. 100% Marshall, but more intense.

Jakedog likes this.

6. BopT

BopT Tele-Afflicted

Feb 6, 2011
    Chicago
    MusicMan 112 RD
    Two 5881s solidstate up front

7. Serenity23

Serenity23 Tele-Holic

Dec 1, 2012
    United Kingdom
    I have a Marshall Valvestate 8100 that i run into a 4x10. Fantastic high gainer. It's also great for late night playing as the tone is consistant at all volumes. Never selling it.

3-Chord-Genius and Jakedog like this.

8. cntry666

cntry666 Tele-Afflicted

Aug 16, 2010
    decatur, ga
    I like the Vox hybrid amps.

9. brookdalebill

brookdalebill Telefied Ad Free Member

Nov 15, 2009
    Austin, Tx
    I liked the TubeWorks amps (BK Butler) of yesteryear.
    The clean, and driven sounds were both good.
    They were often covered in Ozite, or some similar stuff.
    I liked the detented, incremental controls.
    I had a couple of them, and had no problems gigging with them.
    They were kinda lightweight, too.

Last edited: Dec 2, 2017

10. 3-Chord-Genius

Apr 3, 2015
    Winchester, VA
    I'd forgotten about the Music Man 1X10 combo I had. I was kind of surprised that it had a solid state preamp because it was such a natural-sounding overdrive. I only had that amp for a couple of months. I got it on a trade, then traded it back to the guy who gave it to me in the first place.

11. SolidSteak

SolidSteak Tele-Afflicted

Apr 27, 2016
    USA
    Only ones I've ever played are an Orange Micro Terror, Fender Super Champ XD, and some kind of little Kustom 12 watt amp with an 8" speaker. Kustom didn't impress, the Super Champ XD was okay, but I really liked the Orange.

radiocaster likes this.

12. AlabamaOutlaw

AlabamaOutlaw Tele-Meister

Feb 20, 2011
    Alabama
    I dig A few of the music man creations and I like Vibro Champ/Super Champ xd, x2's, Peavey made one for awhile and then ruined it and I dig those Johnson Melliniums too... But that's about it.

13. Tele-beeb

Tele-beeb Tele-Afflicted

Apr 2, 2012
    The Bluegrass
    I concur...

14. adjason

adjason Friend of Leo's

Jan 9, 2010
    virginia
    I agree with the music man amps-great cleans -I could not get a good over driven sound but they are pretty cool-they just don;t over dive like fenders

15. codamedia

codamedia Friend of Leo's

Apr 4, 2009
    Western Canada
    Glad to see I'm not the only one foolish enough to sell off their Dean Markley from that era.

I bought an RM-80-DR 1x12 combo in 1985 (the head was just rack mounted into the combo - easily removed) that I used to love. I have no idea why I sold it in the early 90's, I just know I did :cry:. Your description is bang on!

16. 3-Chord-Genius

Apr 3, 2015
    Winchester, VA
    I've been hoping to see them turn up on eBay, but haven't yet. The tone was so thick, rich.... there I go with those words again but there is nothing else that sounded like it.

codamedia likes this.

17. codamedia

codamedia Friend of Leo's

Apr 4, 2009
    Western Canada
    For anyone that doesn't believe Musicman amps have good natural overdrive I give you one name! Joan Jett!
    Sure - some may like it, others won't - that's subjective. I happen to love her tone!

For those in Canada... Brian "Too Loud" McLeod also played through Musicman amps. His tone is iconic on Canadian classic rock stations with The Headpins and Chilliwack.

Tele-beeb and brookdalebill like this.

18. 3-Chord-Genius

Apr 3, 2015
    Winchester, VA
    I actually liked the preamp overdrive of the Music Man combo I had. If I didn't know any better I'd think it was all-tube.

Tele-beeb and codamedia like this.

19. Darkness

Darkness Tele-Holic

Apr 7, 2016
    Stygian Gulf
    BluGuitar AMP1 for the win.

papa32203 and Jakedog like this.

20. mad dog

mad dog Friend of Leo's

Jun 27, 2005
    Montclair, NJ
    With you on this. The first of two RD 50 heads was an amp I should have never let go. Extremely versatile and great sound.
    MD

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.