Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com Reiland Pickups
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com Reilander Pickups
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com Reilander Pickups
Join TDPRI Today

Best Homemade DIY Neck Rest

Discussion in 'Tele-Technical' started by Chetness, Feb 2, 2010.

1. Chetness

Chetness TDPRI Member

Aug 10, 2009
    Las Vegas
    To work on my nuts and bolts I need some ideas for an easy homemade neck rest. I was thinking a nylon filled with rice but wanted something a little nicer and sturdier. Any thoughts?

2. Nash

Nash Tele-Holic

Mar 8, 2009
    Fullerton, CA
    My local shop uses those "soda" can insulators with a "U" shape cut in the top

[​IMG]

3. Chetness

Chetness TDPRI Member

Aug 10, 2009
    Las Vegas
    Awesome...and then you can also keep your beer or soda cozy when you play--too cool!!!

4. Forum Sponsor Sponsored posting

5. Soapbarstrat

Soapbarstrat Tele-Meister

Aug 29, 2003
    USA
    Mine is a half-moon (self-leveling) deal much like that wood one StewMac sells. I just used a few pieces of scrap wood, cut with a jig-saw before gluing them up. Roughed in the neck hugging curve on a router table then finalized with coarse sandpaper over a properly sized steel pole (might be from a fence). Stole some cork from a worn out bulletin board.

There's another really cool self-leveling one that came out not too long ago. I think it's black plastic. If you know the one, then maybe you also thought like me, that a toilet paper roll holder would be the key to making a DIY version.

6. gitlvr

gitlvr Friend of Leo's

Aug 18, 2008
    Northern Va.
    I use a paint roller cover/refill. Nice and soft, works great, and it's cheap.

7. Guran

Guran Friend of Leo's

Mar 20, 2007
    Sweden
    I use a plastic bottle, half filled with gravel to give it some mass, lying on the side under the neck. Self-shaping and free.

8. Mike Bruce

Mike Bruce Friend of Leo's

Apr 8, 2008
    Ontario
  9. DastardlyDan

DastardlyDan Former Member

Jan 20, 2010
    Somerville, MA USA
    the shop I used to go to in college took a cheap guitar case an old beat up acoustic one I assumed and cut out the insides and had them mounted onto wood, basically all the soft ruby red interior without the case around it. It was on top of their counter next to the register so whenever you brought your guitar in for anything they'd lay it down on that. This was nice because the body was protected from scratches too.

10. originalmatthew

originalmatthew Tele-Holic

May 12, 2009
    Riverside, California
    I made my bed from scrap plywood, some thin foam padding and an old suede coat. Made the neck rest height adjustable, with a foam and suede covered piece of 2" pvc pipe cut in half for the cradle.
    It's too ugly for pictures, but it works great.

11. Chetness

Chetness TDPRI Member

Aug 10, 2009
    Las Vegas
    Thanks for all the great ideas. I ended up gorilla gluing a dollar store computer wrist pad for mouse to a block of wood.

12. Zeppelanoid

Zeppelanoid Tele-Meister

Nov 14, 2009
    Montreal
    I made mine out of an old door and some old carpet.

I'd post pictures, but there are some things you can't un-see.

13. SixShooter

SixShooter Friend of Leo's

Sep 20, 2008
    Cincinnati
    Aw, come on guys, post some photos of these. We're not expecting perfection in a bench rest. I've been looking to make one of these too, and some photos would help:D

14. guitarzan58

guitarzan58 TDPRI Member

Apr 30, 2009
    Flower Mound
    Here you go. DIY Koozie Guitar Neck Rest:

[​IMG]

These can be cut to different heights to accomodate acoustics or electrics.

15. nadzab

nadzab Friend of Leo's

Mar 23, 2009
    New England
  16. octatonic

octatonic Poster Extraordinaire

I prefer to use what I have around me:

[​IMG]

17. richinva

richinva Tele-Meister

Apr 13, 2010
    Rice, VA
    Somehow I just KNEW those things were gonna show up! :D

I use those as well, one of the best tools ever.

Rich

18. nadzab

nadzab Friend of Leo's

Mar 23, 2009
    New England
    Colt, I just bought a set of those cookies...will they hold a neck still enough for levelling?

19. Colt W. Knight

Colt W. Knight Doctor of Teleocity

Jan 21, 2007
    Tucson, AZ
    Yes, but they don't provide any support, so I wouldn't use them for that task. Essentially, if you level without middle support, the middle frets will be higher, creating an arch in your playing plane.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.