Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups darrenriley.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com

Best Guitar Parts Necks

Discussion in 'Tele Home Depot' started by ftbtx, Feb 9, 2018.

1. ftbtx

ftbtx Tele-Afflicted Ad Free Member

2. cacophony

cacophony Tele-Meister

Feb 22, 2014
    Philippines
    I just had two necks made and on their way to my doorstep. Dan was kind enough to share some photos of the build and they look real good! I particularly like how the paddle headstock has radiused heel with square edge fretboard on it. Boutique-esque! BTW, these are conversion necks, the paddle being PRS 25" conversion and T-style with Gibson 24.75" conversion.

20180404_112346.jpg 20180404_112400.jpg 20180404_112415.jpg 20180404_112424.jpg

Attached Files:

ftbtx and nojazzhere like this.
  3. Muzikp

Muzikp Friend of Leo's Ad Free Member

Nov 5, 2010
    Sacramento
    Is that tele neck a one-piece with a heel adjust truss rod? The paddle has a standard heel adjust?

4. cacophony

cacophony Tele-Meister

Feb 22, 2014
    Philippines
    Yup! It's a 1-pc maple with a slotted heel adjust truss rod. The paddle has the same truss rod adjust. Specs as follows:

Tele:
    U1, one-piece maple, 24-3/4" scale, 22 frets, 1.650" nut,
    12-16" compound radius, 6100 fretwire, standard face dots/standard side dots,
    modern tuners, 780D, slotted heel adjust truss rod, square heel shape

Paddle:
    SP, maple/ maple, 25" scale, 22 frets, 1.650" nut,
    16" radius, 6100 fretwire, standard face dots/standard side dots, no tuner holes,
    780D, slotted heel adjust truss rod, round heel shape

5. Muzikp

Muzikp Friend of Leo's Ad Free Member

Nov 5, 2010
    Sacramento
    This is all just curiosity so don't read that I'm questioning anything about the quality or design of the necks, they look pretty nice.

What's the slot or dark area on the heel of the tele version? The tele version has a plug in the headstock and a skunk stripe like I would expect on a 1 piece neck, but the paddle does not. Assuming the paddle is two piece with a two-way truss rod in it? Just curious?

6. cacophony

cacophony Tele-Meister

Feb 22, 2014
    Philippines
    Thanks! I was a Musikraft guy. Time to try other American made necks for a change.

Know what. I don't know. I guess that's where they put this kind of block to keep it straight and avoid moving astray? Not sure as well if the truss rods they put here are single acting or double... Imma try asking Dan of BGP.

Attached Files:

ftbtx likes this.
  7. ftbtx

Have your necks shown up?

8. cacophony

cacophony Tele-Meister

Feb 22, 2014
    Philippines
    It should be there in my uncle's in Vegas. I'm still here in the Philippines. Will visit him in two months to pick 'em up.

9. ftbtx

Must be hard to wait! Thanks for the update and safe travels. I look forward to your review.

10. cacophony

cacophony Tele-Meister

Feb 22, 2014
    Philippines
    I got the necks already. First thing I noticed is that the edges need some rolling. They felt somewhat sharp to my palm, making it unplayable as is. Second, fret ends need some sanding. Feels rough to move from one fret to another. Last, there was a teeny-weeny air gap (around 1-2mm) between the fret tang and fret slot. Can be filled and covered with wood dust, but might be a painstaking thing to do.

The good sides. Measurements were Fender correct. Neck pocket fit snugly to my Tonebomb body, scale length and neck radius were pretty accurate. Second, neck was sanded and prepped for finishing. Surface was smooth and flawless.

Overall I'd give it a 6.5/10.

ftbtx likes this.
  11. Ronkirn

Ronkirn Doctor of Teleocity Vendor Member

May 1, 2003
    Jacksonville, FL
    yeah, I'm into them for about a dozen at the moment .. superb... not a single issue.... if there have been sharp edges.. I wouldn't notice as I continue "working" them when I get them and it doesn't matter from whom they come...

the nice thing about "sharp" edgeS is YOU can make them as rounded as you like with a two dollar sheet of 320 grit paper... try adding some back if you don't like how rounded they came.. :D

and for those not aware . .

Back in March, Tommy's (USACG) partner acquired a majority position in the company. He then decided to take it in a new direction... One that was contrary to that which Tommy wanted. Friction ensued, and the new guy fired Tommy...

Tommy has a Non Compete so he is biding his time as he contemplates his new opportunities...

But the New Guy also let go of a number of the more seasoned employees.... many of which landed across town at Best Guitar Parts, including Dan who handled my orders when Tommy was away...

Thus, pretty much the only thing that changed for me was the website, the address and the building housing the machines, all the names of the "main characters" have remained the same... as has the quality.

rk

Last edited: Jul 9, 2018
  12. ftbtx

Thanks for letting me know. I'll definitely give them a try.

13. Peckhammer

Peckhammer Tele-Holic

Dec 1, 2014
    Seattle
    I’ll add that I was a customer of Tommy at USACG and moved my business to BGP after the fallout Ron described above. I drove to BGP to talk to Dan and take a tour of the shop. I was impressed, and got to see work in progress for some pretty notable builders. I had a chuckle about a guitar that’s a signature model made by one of the big companies, but the player’s personal guitar is made from BGP parts.

Last edited: Jul 11, 2018
    ftbtx and minor9 like this.
  14. Brendan

Brendan Tele-Holic

Feb 21, 2004
    I love it. I really hope Tommy resurfaces. I think non-competes have a 2 year limit in WA

15. Ronkirn

Ronkirn Doctor of Teleocity Vendor Member

May 1, 2003
    Jacksonville, FL
    That kinda "stuff" happens far more than many would like to know... Guitarists play their "contracted" issues for the public, and the guitar they really like when the "camera's" off...

rk

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.