Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups darrenriley.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com

Best Full-Size Klon Clone under $200

Discussion in 'The Stomp Box' started by El Tele Lobo, Aug 6, 2018.

1. El Tele Lobo

El Tele Lobo Friend of Leo's

Oct 21, 2014
    Florida
    Hey guys, I know some of you are dirt-pedal obsessed and some are specifically Klon obsessed and many of you have tried a number of these. Wondering what you think are the most faithful reproductions under $200 (and ideally under $175).

How about I define some terms...

By Klon clone, I mean anything that faithfully reproduces the circuit and its much-heralded sound. I understand the clones may or may not be hand wired or circuit-board based (if you know, please specify with your recommendations. I also mean anything that at least gives you the option of buffered bypass, which was what the originals had (KTR had both, I guess...though Bill labeled the true bypass selection "Almost always worse".

By full-size I mean...basically, not a mini...so anything from the size of a Soul Food to a Klon replica with the larger box. Notable minis are welcome to be mentioned, though the best I've heard so far is the Tumnus. The jury is still out for me on the Mosky Golden Horse I recently acquired...

BTW...as the Soul Food's go, the originals have never impressed me...neither in a demo nor in a 3rd party review. The Soul Food/JHS Meat & 3 model is slightly better, but it hasn't knocked my socks off either.

I've been looking at the RYRA Klone, the Arc Effects Klone and a few others.

Links to demo videos, sound clips and websites welcome. Thanks guys!

G&Lplayer likes this.

2. -Hawk-

-Hawk- Friend of Leo's

Oct 14, 2015
    IL, USA
    I have a Mythical Overdrive. Forget who makes it. I’m not really qualified to say how close it replicates the real thing, but it definitely has been a great addition to my rig. There’s a very comprehensive thread about it at TGP.

rjtwangs and El Tele Lobo like this.

3. Murphcaster

Murphcaster TDPRI Member

Dec 30, 2014
    West Virginia
    I've got a RYRA and really like it. I've tried numerous Klon klones and, for me, the RYRA and the Mythos Mjolnir were my favorites (I've got a Mjolnir too!)

The Mjolnir, however, isn't made to sound/replicate an original Klon and Zach Broyles has even mentioned this. While it is similar, it has more clarity than a Klon and less gritty mids. Despite that, it has more gain than the Klon.

I can't say which is THE absolute best though as it's completely subjective. I know a lot of people rave about the Ceriatone Centura. I've never played one though.

Best of luck in your search

El Tele Lobo likes this.

4. john_humphrey79

john_humphrey79 TDPRI Member

Feb 21, 2018
    Louisiana
    I really love this video from That Pedal Show, if you havent watched these guys they are the best at what they do i think. Their channel has become my favorite channel and they have tons of information. You will get GAS bad from watching so view at your own financial peril!

I bought a Wampler Tumnus Deluxe last week and I have been thoroughly blown away by it. I think it sound amazing. I have watched numerous demos where they take a lot of the Klon Klones head to head (Andertons has a Klon shootout) and the Tumnus holds its own. I almost bought the regular Tumnus but I really liked that 3 band eq and it works so well with my Bassbreaker 15.

5. El Tele Lobo

Oct 21, 2014
    Florida
    I haven’t seen this one, but I’ve seen another one that they did where they compared a bunch of Klon clones. I may have seen the Anderton’s one also. I think I skipped this one because they were petals that were inspired by the Klon, but not exactly clones. I don’t need a lot of EQ options. I play Tweed amps, so I’m used to working with minimal EQ. Ha ha.

rjtwangs likes this.

6. Mike Simpson

Mike Simpson Doctor of Teleocity

Mar 19, 2006
    Gilbert, AZ (PHX)

7. kevsonic

kevsonic Tele-Meister

Oct 16, 2017
    Philadelphia, PA
    (Disclaimer: no actual Klon experience here!)

Okay, now that I have that out of the way, my abiding klone-krushes are the Rimrock Mythical Overdrive Vintage Spec, Ceriatone Centura, and recently discovered underdog, the Tree Of Life Silver Tusk. The latter is a touch bright (tone at 10:00 = tone at noon on a lot of others), but it's got that distinct "punchy" quality that just makes everything better somehow

Not to get all technical on you, there... :D

El Tele Lobo likes this.

8. john_humphrey79

john_humphrey79 TDPRI Member

Feb 21, 2018
    Louisiana
    I watched a video between the Tumnus Deluxe and the Mythical and man the Mythical Had some balls thats for sure had a little more grain on it.

rjtwangs and El Tele Lobo like this.

9. 3-Chord-Genius

3-Chord-Genius Friend of Leo's

Apr 3, 2015
    Winchester, VA
    If it doesn't cost $4,000 USD (used), it's not authentic and I wouldn't waste my money on it.

That might be the funniest thing I've said all day. Granted, it's only 10:20 AM, but still.

10. El Tele Lobo

Oct 21, 2014
    Florida

kevsonic likes this.

11. El Tele Lobo

Oct 21, 2014
    Florida
    Not sure what's up with that middle guy...he looked different on my phone...another laugher. Here, he looks like he's an outlaw about to blast his way out of a bank surrounded by calvary, taking as many of the good guys with him as he can.

kevsonic and 3-Chord-Genius like this.

12. tedtan

tedtan TDPRI Member

Nov 18, 2015
    Kansas City
    Take a hard look at the J Rockett Archer and Archer Icon pedals

13. Totally_Tod

Totally_Tod TDPRI Member

Jul 23, 2018
    Los Angeles, Ca

14. radiocaster

radiocaster Friend of Leo's

Aug 18, 2015
    europe
    Rehouse it in a lunchbox or something.

15. bluesholyman

bluesholyman Tele-Holic

Nov 10, 2013
    Greater Atlanta
    This...

Mike Simpson likes this.

16. rjtwangs

rjtwangs Tele-Holic Ad Free Member

Jan 18, 2010
    Reston, Virginia
    Hands down, the best bang for your buck is a Mythical Over Drive, there is a mint looking Vintage Spec OD on Reverb for $135.00, and brand new a MOVS is $155.99, while the standard MO is listed at $160.00. These sound wonderful, and they really do nail the sound of an original Klon, I have two Klon's and my Mythical's are right there. YMMV...

http://www.rimrockeffects.com/store/c1/Featured_Products.html

RJ

17. MilwMark

MilwMark Poster Extraordinaire Ad Free Member

Apr 29, 2013
    near Arnold's

18. 1300 E Valencia

1300 E Valencia Tele-Afflicted

Dec 13, 2010
    Fullerton CA
    Dear OP: Since you have already tried out at least four Klones (mentioned in your original post) perhaps you would deign to regale us with your own very own lengthy and detailed reviews of the numerous pedals you have personally tested.

19. El Tele Lobo

Oct 21, 2014
    Florida
    I've only tried the Golden Horse. The others are contenders based on side-by-side video reviews with other Klones and recommendations I've run across online.

As for the Golden Horse...It's a very good overdrive for the money. I'm not unhappy with it...but it seems to be missing something of the character of the more authentic Klones...not surprising, considering it's a $20 Chinese knock off. Hard to say for sure, comparing an in person pedal with others you've heard in videos online. Maybe I'm mistaken. At any rate, hence my post and request for recommendations. The few I have my eye on sound pretty good in demos...and I'm giving preference to American made stuff if I can find it affordably, new or used. Sorry for any confusion...but hopefully you'll get some helpful feedback from this thread also. :D

20. Jakeboy

Jakeboy Tele-Afflicted

Jul 26, 2008
    Sedalia, MO
    I have a Monsterpiece STUDthat does the Klon thing for me.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.