Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups darrenriley.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com

Best (Free)Website/Youtube Channel For Beginner Lessons?

Discussion in 'Tab, Tips, Theory and Technique' started by The_Doctor [EV], Dec 6, 2018.

1. The_Doctor [EV]

The_Doctor [EV] Tele-Meister

Jul 22, 2014
    Virginia
    So I've got a friend that I'm planning on lending one of my electrics to, see if she takes to guitar. She's definitely interested in learning, and I figured I'd do a good deed.

But, not gonna lie, I've been at it for 11 years now, and I never really learned right in the first place, so, I'm kinda lost as to how to *correctly* direct someone to learning online.

So, you guys are knowledgeable. Any Youtube channels (or maybe separate websites you might recommend that are *good* beginner lessons for guitar and such?

Any help is greatly appreciated.

2. Chunkocaster

Chunkocaster Tele-Afflicted

Aug 10, 2018
    In space with Ziggy
    Shut Up And Play is the best YouTube song lesson provider I have found on YouTube. Imo you learn things right or not at all as far as covering songs go. You can always change them up and improvise later after you have nailed the song.
    Probably not ideal for complete beginners though but he may have a few easy songs on his channel.

Someone like Marty or Justin guitar might be good to get her started with.

Last edited: Dec 6, 2018
    Gabrielle84 and DonM like this.
  3. VintageSG

VintageSG Friend of Leo's Ad Free Member

Mar 31, 2016
    Yorkshire
    JustinGuitar is a very good Youtube channel.

41144, AnalogNerd, Alamo and 3 others like this.
  4. brogh

brogh Super Moderator Staff Member

Jun 26, 2010
    italy
    1+ Justin Guitar, great videos and they cover a whole lot, and you have tabs and all related stuff, simply great.

AnalogNerd and Gabrielle84 like this.
  5. -Hawk-

-Hawk- Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

Oct 14, 2015
    IL, USA
    I’d opt for in-person lessons if I was trying to get someone started on the right path. If that’s not a possibility, the channels above are good. Still not as good as instant feedback and correction though imo.

41144 and Gabrielle84 like this.
  6. beninma

beninma Tele-Afflicted Silver Supporter

Mar 17, 2017
    Massachusetts
    Yep.. the videos don't do instant feedback on physical techniques and can't call out your mistakes. Feedback is so important. Stuff like how to learn how to pick fingerings to play a song is pretty involved and requires a ton of feedback. Tuesday I went for a lesson, I am starting to figure out the right fingerings on my own at this point, but my teacher corrected me 2-3 different places and gave me a more efficient way to do it... AND explained a good reason why he was telling me to change something. And his reasoning will make it easier for me to identify why that way might be better the next time. Very hard to get that kind of feedback without someone watching you. (It usually means I never practice something "wrong" for more than a week too.)

Marty is really good once you have the basics down IMO.

The other problem, yes you can learn a whole lot from Videos but you don't have the ability as a beginner to select the correct sequence of videos to watch so that you're always working on something at the appropriate level, pushing yourself just enough. A good teacher sets a course for you and has the right "next thing" in mind. I feel like after 2 years I am starting to be able to watch a Youtube video and within a minute I can tell whether it's at the right level where it's worth investigating. But I still end up just waiting around to find those videos, it's not efficient.

Paul Davids is very good, yesterday he just put a video up about the perils of trying to learn off of Youtube:

Of course he uses the video as a long pitch to sell a "course".

Maybe a course is better, but I look at the material he's selling in his course, probably not a bad deal for $200, it sounds like it's 50+ videos strung together to try and give you the right "next" thing at each stage, but he's saying you should be able to get through it in 14 weeks which seems ridiculously ambitious considering you're not going to get feedback on mistakes and could practice stuff "wrong".

41144 likes this.
  7. The_Doctor [EV]

The_Doctor [EV] Tele-Meister

Jul 22, 2014
    Virginia
    That's been a concern as well, and frankly if she decides she wants to go that route, she DOES have both a Guitar Center and a Sam Ash in her immediate area, not to mention any good local folks she may find.

I did a bit of poking around with Justin Guitar after you folks recommended him, and he really does have an absolute beginners course that would be of use to her, so that's absolutely a good lead and I appreciate it very much.

I'll definitely say that, like, a video purely on "how to form a D chord", like, my brain would not have considered that that was something someone needs, but then again I've been playing my open position D chord wrong ever since I started under self-tutelage so...I get the need, yes.

8. rockymtnguitar

rockymtnguitar Tele-Meister

Aug 30, 2012
    Colorado Springs, CO
    I'd very strongly recommend the entire JustinGuitar Beginner's Course. His lessons are in a particular order, building on each other. He gets you rolling with playing songs very early on, which is a great "feel good" thing to new folks. His videos are clear and not full of a lot of fluff. Entirely free, though donations are encouraged. Recommended by Mark Knoffler, Steve Vai, and many others. After the beginner course, there are many additional paths to follow on his site.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.