Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com

Best Finish for this Guitar?

Discussion in 'Finely Finished' started by DrGnosis, Aug 31, 2017.

1. DrGnosis

DrGnosis TDPRI Member

Jul 25, 2017
    Boston, MA
    Greetings... This isn't about a Tele, but I find this forum to be way more active and informative than others.

I have a neck-through build where I want a rustic barn wood type finish (see picture). I originally planned for a high-gloss nitro finish, but I'm thinking it wouldn't really go with the rustic look.

For the top coat, I have at my disposal: 1) Formby's Tung Oil (wiping varnish), 2) high-gloss nitro, and 3) shellac.

I was thinking of going with the wiping varnish but was thinking the durability of the finish wouldn't be nearly that which can be obtained with nitro.

My question is: what would you suggest as a top coat? Could I add a few layers off nitro over the wiping varnish? Could I go just with nitro and just stop sanding at say 1000?

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Attached Files:

2. adamkoop

adamkoop Tele-Meister

Feb 18, 2016
    Halifax
    I'd sand it as smooth as you can get it, and the hit it with tung oil. I love the satin finish it gives after a couple coats, and I like that the grain texture still stays intact.

tery and DrGnosis like this.

3. oldfish

oldfish Tele-Meister

Aug 23, 2015
    uk
    I would use shellac on its own or with a top coat of nitro

4. Macrogats

Macrogats Tele-Meister

May 15, 2017
    Auckland, New Zealand
    Nice bra.......err....guitar! :p

DrGnosis likes this.

5. DrGnosis

DrGnosis TDPRI Member

Jul 25, 2017
    Boston, MA
    lol... I hadn't even noticed. She's lucky no aniline wood dye got on it!

6. DrGnosis

DrGnosis TDPRI Member

Jul 25, 2017
    Boston, MA
    Just in case anyone is wondering about how I did the finish (I know, it's not a finish that everyone would want/like)...
    1. I wet the guitar and sanded the raised grain 3 times.
    2. I bleached the entire guitar (African mahogany wings, maple neck) twice with Zinsser A/B solution bleach, neutralized the bleach with white vinegar, and sanded away the leftover solids and any raised grain with 320 grit.
    3. To add some texture, I vigorously rubbed the guitar with a household cleaning brush (plastic bristles) -- with the grain for the most part.
    4. I had some Georgian Brown Mahogany aniline dye powder, so I made a water-based solution, and dyed the guitar.
    5. The color wasn't quite warm enough, so I made a solution from some Medium Yellow Amber aniline dye I had lying around and dyed it a second time with that.
    I still plan on filling the grain (and hopefully some of the marks from the brush) with a dark brown/black grain filler.

Easy peasy.

7. gourmetsaint

gourmetsaint Tele-Meister

May 17, 2017
    Australia
    Agreed and finish with 0000 steel wool for the silky look.

DrGnosis likes this.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.