Best Fender BF Twin clone?

Discussion in 'Amp Central Station' started by TELEPHANTI, Oct 12, 2010.

1. TELEPHANTI

TELEPHANTI TDPRI Member

Hi,

does anyone know who sells very good BF twin clones? i've heared from many guys that the twin RI's sound good but they don't work so good with pedals. that's not my cup of tea. i need a pedal workhorse and i want that twin sound with the reverb and the trem! im in the EU so i need 230V's

2. Beachbum

Beachbum Friend of Leo's

They know not of what they speak. My TRRI takes pedals very nice. BBE Orange Squash, BBE Green Screamer. SWEET!!! Blues, Country/ twang to overdrive growl yes very good. Jazz/mellow and compressed to die for. Metal? NO NO NO. Not for this amp.

3. zoppotrump

zoppotrump Tele-Afflicted

Why you don´t buy a good silverface twin from the early !! 70s and have it blackfaced.
    i did that and paid about 2/3 of the prize of a new TRRI ! and it sounds really awesome.
    if you want more info, send me an pm

4. BiggerJohn

BiggerJohn Friend of Leo's

Yo Bum, Is that Orange Squash a clone of the old Orange Squeezer? Jay Graydon used to swear by those things.

5. Beachbum

Beachbum Friend of Leo's

That's exactly what some of the reviews I read before I bought it said. Never played the Orange Squeezer so I can't give you a comparison but I sure do like the BBE version.

6. LarryM

LarryM Tele-Holic

If you are on a budget, older Peavey 2x12 combos are very similar to a twin - Classic,Deuce,Heritage

7. Colt W. Knight

Colt W. Knight Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

Complete BS, but vintage Twins do sound better than RIs usually.

8. Beachbum

Beachbum Friend of Leo's

You are right on the money. I took this old early eighties Peavey VT Classic which back in the day was being touted as the poor mans Twin and put a set of Texas Heat speakers and a new set of GT GE6L6 tubes in it. It's a hybrid amp with a SS preamp. The next step is to bi pass the dated SS preamp with (in my case) a Roland Micro Cube plugged into the Peaveys "preamp in". Now you've got something akin to an SCXD 50W 2x12 combo amp with a 2x6L6 tube power stage. A digital modeling pratice amp on steroids if you will. It just sounds incredible. Versatility +++. Very gig worthy. And, if you go with this set up you also gain a nice little practice amp in the bargain.

Amp = +- $200
    Speakers = $140
    Tubes = $40?
    Cube = $120 (or any digital modeling amp with line out jack you like)

Total = $500

[​IMG]

Last edited: Oct 12, 2010
  9. Jakedog

Jakedog Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

I've had a couple of Twin RI amps. I've also had the red knob Twin, the Evil Twin, and some others.

They all work great with pedals. Anybody who says they don't either doesn't know how to use their amp, or doesn't know how to use pedals.

I'm not a Fender amp fan at all these days, but when I travel and get backlined for gigs, a TRRI is always one of the amps on my list. The reasons for that is that every sound company in the world has them, they are very consistent, they are easy to get a decent tone out of in pretty much any situation, and they take pedals great. They are an all around great workhorse gig amp. Especially if you use a lot of pedals. They are basically a clean pallette to do whatever you want with in the FX department.

As a side note- I have owned so many amps it makes my head spin. SS, Tube, Digi, Booteek, vintage, all of 'em. There is no such thing as an amp that doesn't take pedals well. Period. You might run across an amp that isn't really suited to your favorite OD pedal, and you might have to try a different one. But a blanket statement that any amp flatly out "does not take pedals well" is BS and always will be. Certain amps sound thin with transparent OD pedals, certain amps are really midrange heavy to begin with and don't sound their best with a Tubescreamer style OD. An amp with a ton of low end might sound muddy with really low end heavy hi-gain distortion. Try a different one. Stuff like that is common, but all amps will take pedals, and well if you find the best ones for what you're trying to accomplish.

Guys who say an amp doesn't take pedals well are usually the same guys who plug in an amp, set it "like I always do", and then announce that the amp sounds like crap. Amps, pedals, etc. are not all going to sound the same, or even useable, with the same settings every time. Your favorite amp will sound different in every room you take it into, even with identical settings. Pedals are the same way. You can't set your OD and plug it into five different amps. You are going to get five different tones, even if you never move a knob on your pedal. Some people don't get that.

10. kypdurron

kypdurron Tele-Meister

indeed. may I use that quote on occasion?

Consistency is a huge advantage of nowaday's amps ... I just listened to a Demo of the new Mustang amp yesterday. When Fender's own Mr. Nicholas switched on the Twin model, I was like "what? :eek:" It sounded completely different to what I had ever heard from "real" Twins. I spent the rest of the eveneing to search youtube for samples that captured the sound I have in mind from Twin Reverbs.

This sounds like mine (and should also be of the same age). It's more thick and sparkly than chimey ...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aYPstNMjwx8

THis is close to a BF Twin I tried at a friend's band room once a while ago. Warmer, lush, and a bit crispy, less straight, but also nothing of that chime all these modeled versions have ...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_nBPz9KoLkc

@TE: You can get a real 70's Twin in good working order at 700-800 €, maybe less if you don't fear ebay. A real BF Twin will be at 1.300-1.500 €. The price of the reissue is somewhere in between. I think all these amps, whatever your actual budget is, will be better buys than a clone. The Twin Reverb is no simple amp, so it's harder and more expensive to clone than a Deluxe or a Champ. And these are Fender amps. If you buy them used, you can usually sell them on at no loss if you wish to.

If you want to check ou tth eclone market, here's some links anyway, both sell no Twins but other BF clones, they should be able to do one:

http://www.ritteramps.de/PreislisteBlackface.html
    http://www.tubeampdoctor.com/index.php?cPath=96_112 (obviously you still nedd someone to put it together ...)

11. TELEPHANTI

TELEPHANTI TDPRI Member

ritteramps don't offer a twin!
    i want the real thing... a silverface would be an option. but the best thing would be a real BF twin or a clone that get's very close or nails it. i would buy it!

12. Raybob

Raybob Tele-Meister

My company, Tube-Tone Amplifiers makes a Twin using the schematic of the AB763 Twin Reverb from the 60s. We've made them with 2-12" speakers and also a 1-15" model, in 120v or 230v.

[​IMG]

Raybob

13. umasstele

umasstele Tele-Afflicted

Never had ANY problems using pedals with my '69 Twin Reverb...its loud and clean; the perfect clean slate for pedals in my opinion!

If your looking into something else however, the Clean channel on the Rivera 5512 is modeled after a blackface twin, and side by side to me it sounds excellent

Just my 2cents

14. Jaimo!

Jaimo! TDPRI Member

+1

1973 Peavey Classic:

[​IMG]

15. TELEPHANTI

TELEPHANTI TDPRI Member

reviews? anyone here owns one ?

16. Raybob

Raybob Tele-Meister

Most of the amps I've sold are the smaller models. Not many interested in the Twin. I sold one to a player in California who did a review at Harmony Central. I have another with a blues player in Turkey that should be making a demo soon. His has a single 15" Weber California speaker.

Raybob

17. zatoichi

zatoichi Tele-Holic

Great lookin' stuff, Raybob!

You have just single-handedly moved the overton window of amp price ranges for me.

18. fendertastic

fendertastic Tele-Meister

Right on about the peavy classic, It was my first real tube amp back when I first started playing in the mid 1990s ( I paid 50 bucks!!!). I traded for a strat, wish I still had it--they are still around for ballpark 200-500 on Cl, depending on deperation of the seller. I like what jaimo did with the grill cloth, nice. They will do clean twin really well and are loud, and very robust and gig worthy.

19. Tilman

Tilman NEW MEMBER!

Hi TELEPHANTI,

if you are still interested, I could make you an offer for a point to point wired BF TWIN Reverb based on TADs high quality components.

For me it is kind of hard to understand why the Fender reissue should not respond well to pedals ahead of it too.
    Maybe you should take your pedals, go to a nearby music store and find out for yourself. Any well sorted music store should have one....at least in the larger city s.

BTW: Are we talking head or combo here ?

Tilman

20. Tilman

Tilman NEW MEMBER!

info(at)ritteramps.de

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.