Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com

Best excuse for missing work at the last minute

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by telequacktastic, Apr 23, 2013.

1. Toto'sDad

Toto'sDad Telefied Ad Free Member

Jun 21, 2011
    Bakersfield
    It's odd, some guys call in sick, some on a regular basis others never miss work at all. One guy called in and said he had to catch his neighbors dog that was running loose in the neighborhood, he said he thought it would take most of the day?!

2. BigDaddyLH

BigDaddyLH Telefied Ad Free Member

I rarely take a sick day. Then at the end of the year, those days disappear -- they don't carry over. Grrr!!

I was talking to a post office carrier who said they switched from traditional sick days to "personal" days. You can take them off for any reason, and I forget (other people chipped in their siutation) but you can either carry some over to the next year or cash out the remaining ones at the end of the year.

My wife is a doctor and when we lived in Ottawa she saw lots of federal gov't workers near retirement who had accumulated many weeks of sick leave who and wanted a doctor's note so that they could "take off" their last X months on the job.

Having some all-purpose personal days that you could carry over or cash out makes so much more sense to me.

3. flathd

flathd Friend of Leo's

Jan 29, 2008
    Twin Cities,MN
    Code:

I agree, I've seen cars alongside the freeway where one wheel fell off.

Who's to blame, the car or the owner?

4. rcole_sooner

rcole_sooner Poster Extraordinaire

Feb 12, 2010
    Norman, OK
    My best excuse is whatever it is I am doing. I just tell the truth. If I can't tell the truth, then I should not be missing work over it.

Golf or riding my bicycle (used to be fishing) is a fine excuse, as long as I have the time off and am caught up (or don't have meetings or whatever).

I get tickled at the excuses some folks come up with, most on a repeat basis. One guy was constantly taking his dog to the vet or painting his house. One day he came to see me, and I asked, "Getting your dog painted?". :lol: He stammered around and finally said he had stuff to do. At least that was honest with that response.

Edit: And saying that I have personal business to attend to, is a fine excuse too, when I don't want to have to get into details.

Last edited: Apr 23, 2013

5. 6942

6942 Poster Extraordinaire

Apr 15, 2006
    Santa Fe, NM
    The ENTIRE mid-night shift on my RR, called in sick one night.
    We were all at the SAME St. Patrick's Day party....and drunk as skunks!!
    Our boss knew we weren't sick.....how??

He said the SAME SONG was playing in the background, during ALL the incoming sick calls.........................................

6. beach bob

beach bob Friend of Leo's

Jan 31, 2008
    South Florida
    I don't make up excuses when I can't come to work, though sometimes it is none of the co's. or the boss's business exactly why I will not be there. Some aspects of my personal life, should remain private from the prying eyes of the HR people, who in my experience, have and will use whatever they have on you to their advantage. HR exists to protect the company, not the employees.

That said, someone told me long ago that if you tell the truth, you don't have to remember anything. Lies tend to require that one remember what they said.

And with THAT said, I was at a four day music festival, and a friend was there who decided he was having way too much fun to leave before it was all over, thus requiring a call to his boss with a believable excuse for missing a day of work. He asked our other friend, a pediatrician, for advice. The doc advised that the best feigned malady was stomach virus of unknown origin. You don't even know whether it's the flu, or bad food (which I am told, in many cases is quite true). It's a very short conversation from that declaration, to "You don't wanna know the details!" :lol: ... and *boom* you're home free.

I have rarely taken a day off that I declared as sick, when I was not. I have taken days off that were personal in nature. Personal stuff comes up. Sometimes it's a procedure at a clinic, or my kid has to be taken somewhere, but I have no idea how long I'll be waiting, or the traffic, and it's just easier to take the whole day and not sweat my schedule. Whatevs.

A month or so back, I showed up for work and the power was off at the office. We were actually expected to stay there and be productive... My office time is about 90% on the puter. My field work, is in the field. That day, there was no field work in my backlog to jump on. I stuck around for an hour, and went home, and didn't do much of anything. I was like Peter in the movie Office Space on that one Saturday that was supposed to be a 'work day' ... except I didn't have 114 messages waiting from Lumberg on my Code-A-Phone :D

I came in the next day, and the power had come on about 11am. Whatevs.

7. sonserve

sonserve Friend of Leo's

:lol::lol:;)

8. umasstele

umasstele Tele-Afflicted

Tell the boss that you have diarrhea. NOBODY wants to ask more questions, and EVERYBODY knows how much it sucks to work in that situation. Try it, it'll work!

9. dan1952

dan1952 Friend of Leo's

Jun 24, 2004
    Anderson, IN
    I once had a salesman (I was the sales manager) call in to say he would be late because he had a job interview...
    I didn't even bother to tell the owner of the company...

10. jkrischan

jkrischan Tele-Afflicted

Nov 26, 2011
    Buffalo NY
    Try calling in blind, cause you just can't see yourself coming in today ;)

11. xMercury69x

xMercury69x Friend of Leo's

Nov 9, 2012
    Toronto
    People get a sick day allowance? That's an idiotic policy. You get vacation days and that's it, aside from a certain degree of "Life/Work" balance situations where you have to take a bit of time to resolve something like a flooded basement. Telling me I only have 10 sick days a year isn't going to prevent me from being sick less or more than that. Stupid arbitrary stuff like that bugs me.

12. fezz parka

fezz parka ---------------------------

1. I died for a minute. Need a day to recover.
    2. I can't find my car keys.
    3. I can't find my car.
    4. My dog ate my shoes.
    5. The light is still red.

13. fuzzbender

fuzzbender Former Member

Feb 15, 2011
    dislocation
    avoid guilt, phone somewhere you don't work and tell them you're not coming in

14. BobbyZ

BobbyZ Doctor of Teleocity

Jan 12, 2011
    Snellman MN
    I ran a crane for a guy who said there was only two excuses to miss work. Your in jail or your dead.
    I missed work one time. (I wasn't dead)

15. fuzzbender

fuzzbender Former Member

Feb 15, 2011
    dislocation
    ironic if you're a Warden

16. bluesjuke

bluesjuke Tele-Afflicted

Oct 27, 2007
    Bluesland, Texas

I sent a guy home to go get his work boots last week after he showed up wearing Tennis Shoes.
    He missed the whole day and wanted me to exempt him from the required PPE (Personal Protective Equipment).
    Told him that's why it's called "required".

No kid- 45 years old.

17. backporch guy

backporch guy Tele-Afflicted

Funniest thing I saw recently: 3 months after the boss closed down the office and we all started working out of our homes, I got an e mail form his son (the SECOND boss) stating that anyone not reporting for work on a particular day had to check in with HIM first. I thought that was really stupid! :confused:

18. McGlamRock

McGlamRock Friend of Leo's

I was dignosed with epilepsy when I was 18. So I have a small collection of emergency room bills, discharge papers, etc... When I was in college, I doctored some of the papers and gave them to a couple professors so I could get extensions on papers or make up an exam. Worked the few times I tried it.

19. Tele Fan

Tele Fan Friend of Leo's

Oct 26, 2007
    Louisville, Ky
    I don't make an excuse but my company offers personal days so I don't have to.

20. stnmtthw

stnmtthw Friend of Leo's

Apr 2, 2012
    New Mexico
    The best one I ever took: Iwas working graveyard shift and this guy called in at like 2 am saying he was sick. I could hear in his voice that he was drunk as hell. So I just did what I always do, which was say ok, do the documentation, and cover the position. He showed up, as scheduled, at 5:30 in the morning, still drunk, because HE WAS SO WIPED HE FORGOT THAT HE HAD CALLED IN!!!!!!!! I had him wait in the office and call his mom (!)to pick him up, becaue he was way too effed up to drive. I also called him the next evening to tell him he no longer had a job for showing up drunk. Dumbass.

To be honest with you, as a boss, I really don't care if an operator calls in. If they're really sick or if they have to take a day once in a while for whatever reason, hey, stuff happens. If it's someone who makes a habit out of calling in because it's their birthday or it's Friday and the party's at Billy's house, I'll just document it and let them hang themselves eventually. People like that always do. If someone's old enough to get a job, they're old enough to accept the consequences of screwing off. I don't get paid to beg people to show up.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.