Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com

Best excuse for missing work at the last minute

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by telequacktastic, Apr 23, 2013.

1. artdecade

artdecade Poster Extraordinaire

Dec 6, 2010
    Twangsylvania
    True Story (about being late).

I was driving to work with a friend in his 74 Ford Maverick when the passenger side back-door fell off. We had to retrieve the door (by throwing it in the trunk) and report to work. When asked why we were late, no one believed us until someone actually saw the Maverick in the parking lot.

To this day, I won't buy a Ford.

2. strateles

strateles Tele-Holic

Feb 7, 2013
    Eastern NC
    I once had an employee call in the day after payday saying he couldnt come to work because his truck was out of gas. I told him he had an hour to get to work, no excuses. He arrived to work within about an hour and I sent him on his route (cable installer). About an hour after he left, a Sheriff came to the office asking for him saying he was wanted for questioning about stealing gas from a parked school bus. I guess when I told him to get to work by any means necessary he took it literally!

3. 6942

6942 Poster Extraordinaire

Apr 15, 2006
    Santa Fe, NM
    My car caught on fire.......TRUE story!!!

4. BigDaddyLH

BigDaddyLH Telefied Ad Free Member

I have never ducked work, but sometimes when my kids were younger I'd have to stay home when one was sick and my wife couldn't take time off.

As far as *faking* a reason, with this as an excuse, you don't have to pretend to sound sick on the phone, or look "so so" when you come back to work. On the other hand, if your boss calls you on it because he knows you have no children, it could get sketchy.

5. boris bubbanov

boris bubbanov Telefied Ad Free Member

I would love to have told a boss:

"Just got a call from a very special girlfriend who is in town. The wife is back in town tomorrow night, and this is our only opportunity".

Something like that. :^)

+

I did have an employee call in and say he'd be late; he'd lost his car in a card game the night before, hadn't yet figured out what he was gonna do about getting to work.

6. imwjl

imwjl Poster Extraordinaire

One employer I enjoyed within reason didn't require any excuse as long as the work got done. The work got done and the no sex, drugs or politics rules here prevent going into details of those who worked there. It was really neat to have that few years of working with people responsible and smart enough to get the work done.

More of the world needs to live where on occasion perfect conditions for skiing, biking, fishing, golf or a horny mate can dictate how the work day will go.

7. ce24

ce24 Friend of Leo's

Jan 26, 2008
    Idahoastan
    mental health day...call in sick. The way companies abuse their workers these days there is no reason for any loyalty to company anymore. company loyalty is a one way street. There are a few mom n pop that dont follow this axiom but very few that I've seen. For the most part American workers work more hours for less benefits and pay than almost every western developed country.

8. telequacktastic

telequacktastic Tele-Afflicted

Mar 20, 2011
    Fort Worth
    I wouldn't say I am either!!!! I'm enjoying doing some practicing.

As far as saying that I'm having car problems, that doesn't fly to well. My boss wants to look at that as having personal problems, for not taking care of necessary scheduled vehicle maintenance. He specifically told me, call in sick a few years back. I just follow that instruction and go with the I'm sick. I always plan for a conversation about it the following day, I just blame some local restaurant for their food service, flu, stomach bug (insert contagious light illness here).

9. Slickster

Slickster Tele-Holic

Nov 3, 2008
    Denver, Colorado
    I've been the guy taking those calls for over 20 years ...

best advice for the guy who rarely misses work ... just say you're sick. You don't have to cough, wheeze, snort, choke, and gag on the phone. The harder you try and convince me, the more I think your full of it. The more complicated the story, the harder it is to believe and the harder it is for you to follow through.

A simple ... I'm sick ... then let the boss know how many days you expect to be out if possible.

10. BigDaddyLH

BigDaddyLH Telefied Ad Free Member

One day I'd like to be late for work because of, ahem, you know :oops: Just one day!

11. kelnet

kelnet Telefied Ad Free Member

Apr 17, 2008
    Port Moody, BC
    Exactly!! I find it hilarious when students phone and leave their "sick" message, complete with quiet, dying voice. Don't BS me. I've heard it all.

12. Telesavalis

Telesavalis Friend of Leo's

'Bad chicken last night...got the runs '

No one wants a co worker around when he's got the runs.

13. Bob Mc

Bob Mc Friend of Leo's

Mar 17, 2003
    Mo'town NJ
    2 from same guy

1) "I forgot my grandma's funeral service was today."
    2) "I fell down a flight of stairs because I stepped on my cat and now my right buttock is twice the size of the left".

I still have the second one saved as voice mail. I have never heard another human say "buttock" before.

14. troy2003

troy2003 Friend of Leo's

Mar 30, 2010
    Central Minnesota
    Calling in with sick kids always seemed to fly the best at my work. Then I didn't have to pretend on the phone I was sick.

15. cosmiccowboy

cosmiccowboy Tele-Afflicted

Agreed, I've never felt bad for calling off of work. If I have sick time, personal days, or vacation you can bet they're gonna be tapped out each and every year. I'm no more certain than the next guy on how much time I got on this orb but what I do know is I ain't gonna spend it all workin' :D.

As long as my responsibilities are covered (and they are) I'm enjoyin' life now.

16. BobbyZ

BobbyZ Doctor of Teleocity

Jan 12, 2011
    Snellman MN
    Ever have a Chevy Vega?
    If so you might want to cross GM off your list as well.
    Those things made Pintos, Mavricks hell even Gremlins look like fine automobiles.:lol:

17. Lost_N_Austin

Lost_N_Austin Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

Feb 18, 2004
    Broken Arrow, Oklahoma
    True story

Years ago one of my guys called in to say "I won't be in today, I'm having car trouble". Being the Mr. Fixit kind of guy that I am, I asked "What kind of trouble are you having?" He says, "I can't find it". I think he had had 'tee many Marooneys'.

When I retired a year ago, I left with a years worth of unused vacation and sick leave on the books. They not only paid me for it, they gave me credit for the year added on to my actual time and I get that extra amount paid on my pension for that every month. Young people don't normally think of the benefit beyond just not going to work.

Lost_N_Austin

18. cosmiccowboy

cosmiccowboy Tele-Afflicted

:lol:, whats a pension?

19. hotpepper

hotpepper Tele-Meister

Mar 14, 2013
    no. il.
    My brother that I hadn't seen in a few yrs. came by at 11pm on a wed. At 6am I called in drunk.

20. boris bubbanov

boris bubbanov Telefied Ad Free Member

One of the things I liked about a older car like a '74 Maverick was, you could take the door off and reinstall it again, aligned correctly, in under a half hour. The corollary was, if the door fell off, Mr. '74 Maverick owner, don't blame anyone but yourself because you would have realized you had a problem just by inspecting your car every few months.

Newer cars, the CEL comes on and she won't restart. You need a computer to find out your mass meter isn't doing its job. I like a big, tangible defect like a failing fan belt or radiator hose, loose seat bracket - something I can see and maybe repair.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.