Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com

Best excuse for missing work at the last minute

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by telequacktastic, Apr 23, 2013.

1. telequacktastic

telequacktastic Tele-Afflicted

Mar 20, 2011
    Fort Worth
    I think saying your sick is the #1 always works excuse. What do you guys think?

2. geoff_in_nc

geoff_in_nc Tele-Afflicted

Jul 9, 2007
    "Raleigh-wood"
    Regardless of what kind of work you do, calling out at the last minute is always frowned upon in my experience. Giving as much headlights as possible is always appreciated.

That said, explosive intestinal "disturbances" seems to be the best "issue" to have. Nobody will want you in the office with that.

3. flathd

flathd Friend of Leo's

Jan 29, 2008
    Twin Cities,MN
    The best excuse for being late I've heard was 'I forgot my shoes'.

Young kid shows up late for work, and barefoot. The boss tells him to go back home and get his shoes.

He missed about 1 hour of work. :rolleyes:

Last edited: Apr 23, 2013

4. meric

meric Tele-Holic

Feb 17, 2010
    Vancouver
    This is your boss Telequackstik... Now get back to work and stop ducking the fog !

5. meric

meric Tele-Holic

Feb 17, 2010
    Vancouver
    Oops... Telequacktastick !

6. Jupiter

Jupiter Telefied Silver Supporter

Jun 22, 2010
    Osaka, Japan
    One of the teachers at my previous school was sort of notorious for excuses. One morning she called up to say that her car was out of gas, but we could see the car sitting in the school parking lot.

7. BobbyZ

BobbyZ Doctor of Teleocity

Jan 12, 2011
    Snellman MN
    The one that cracked me up was.
    "Um I might be going to jail."
    "Me. Is there a warrent out for you?"
    "No but I'm in the back of a Poilce car."

He didn't show up for awhile.

8. sneakyjapan

sneakyjapan Poster Extraordinaire

Mar 17, 2003
    nippon
    wrote something but then realized...the cop car is going to be hard to beat

9. stankepanck

stankepanck Tele-Holic

Sep 29, 2012
    Greensburg PA
    I never miss unless im actually sick. I work at a school so there is plenty of time off anyway. If i do have to call off i just say i wont be in.

10. telequacktastic

telequacktastic Tele-Afflicted

Mar 20, 2011
    Fort Worth
    Ha ha, yeah. I'm in quality control at a steel fabrication shop and I work 6 days a week usually and I have to be there at 5am. I have some mornings like this sometimes when I just wake up 20 minutes late. So I call in sick, I have 14 vacation days and 3 personal days per year to use so it's not really an emergency situation where I need a new excuse because I can't think of one.

11. basschick22

basschick22 Tele-Meister

Jul 9, 2009
    The Natural State
    When I was teaching lessons, there were two particular excuses that were memorable.

The first was from an adult student who was in a higher authority position on the Fire Dept. His excuse was "I can't make my lesson today because I have to go arrest someone for arson.":eek:

The other was a long-time student, who rarely missed. She called and said, "The garage door is broken, and my car is in the garage." The funny part was the disbelief in her voice when she left the message. I gave her a tough time at the next week's lesson. :lol:

12. Solrac Kai

Solrac Kai Tele-Meister

Dec 14, 2011
    california
    Here is my last one I used.....I ain't going to lie, I drank way too much and I have a hangover that would kill an elephant....laughter, and response....see you tomorrow.

13. voodooblues

voodooblues Friend of Leo's

Sep 12, 2012
    Berwyn, Il
    Middle management at my work got in trouble a few years ago with HR because someone called in and they questioned/doubted them. Now they aren't aloud to ask or say anything except "ok". Being at the bottom of the totem pole, there's something very satisfying about seeing HR crack the whip on my bosses after constantly being subjected to their micro-managing incompetence.

14. TheGoodTexan

TheGoodTexan Doctor of Teleocity

Apr 28, 2003
    Nashville, TN
    I'm in the camp of never missing work unless it's a completely legitimate reason.

One of the best reasons is car trouble.

Although, at a previous job, I had legitimate car problems and could not go to work, so I called the boss to let him know. I had to have the car towed to a mechanic. I checked email from home a few times that day. Later that afternoon I got a call about the car, and agreed to the repairs. About 4pm that afternoon/evening, I walked down the street to the regular daily neighborhood pickup basketball game, and played for about an hour.

About 5pm I got the call the the car was ready. My wife got home from work and we went to pick up the car.

The following morning my boss called me in his office and said that someone had reported to him that I was playing basketball the night before. I confirmed this. He said, "If you called out sick, how is it that you felt well enough to play basketball?"

So I reminded him of my car problems - not health problems. He cleared his throat... and darted his eyebrows at me... and said, "I suggest that when you're not able to make it work, you try to keep a lower profile in the neighborhood."

I just said "ok" and was dismissed.

I'm so glad I don't work there any more.

15. jonnyfez

jonnyfez Tele-Holic Silver Supporter

Nov 14, 2003
    Kittery, Maine
    I wouldn't say I'm missing work.

16. kelnet

kelnet Telefied Ad Free Member

Apr 17, 2008
    Port Moody, BC
    Last year, I called work from my car during a snowstorm. "I can't get out of my neighbourhood. I'll come in once they clear the bus accidents."

17. kelnet

kelnet Telefied Ad Free Member

Apr 17, 2008
    Port Moody, BC
    What would you say?

18. LKB3rd

LKB3rd Friend of Leo's

Jan 10, 2013
    CT
    Start up with details, and they will tell you to stop and see you tomorrow.

19. AirBagTester

AirBagTester Friend of Leo's

Nov 7, 2010
    Maryland
    If I call in sick it just means I have to work from home :(

Telecommuting: blessing AND curse!

20. bullfrogblues

bullfrogblues Friend of Leo's

Jun 5, 2011
    Southeast Florida
    I once called the boss and said "I have a bone in my leg".
    Without thinking, he had a lot on his mind, just said "I hope it gets better, come in when you feel up to it". Then I went fishing!

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.