Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com

Best Delay Pedal with Modulation (Repeats Only)

Discussion in 'The Stomp Box' started by tedtan, Sep 27, 2017.

1. tedtan

tedtan TDPRI Member

Nov 18, 2015
    Kansas City
    I have several analog delays that I like, but none give me the option of modulation (e.g., chorus, phasing, flanging) on the repeats. What's the best analog delay with the option to add modulation to the repeats?

2. RetroTeleRod

RetroTeleRod Friend of Leo's

Oct 24, 2012
    Oklahoma, USA
    I love the modulation on the MXR Carbon Copy. (Around the 1:26 mark it indicates that it's only on the delayed signal.)

3. ICTRock

ICTRock Tele-Afflicted

Jul 31, 2014
    ICT
    malekko has external modulation controls ... so do some of the way huge delays ... I'm a fan of the modulation of the deluxe memory man

4. Strato50

Strato50 Tele-Meister

Mar 30, 2017
    Port Arthur TX
    TC Flashback mini...with the toneprints you can do anything your heart desires.

Striker6 likes this.

5. tedtan

tedtan TDPRI Member

Nov 18, 2015
    Kansas City
    Cool, I'll check these out. Any others I should put on my list?

6. BorderRadio

BorderRadio Friend of Leo's Ad Free Member

Apr 2, 2014
    Phoenix, AZ
    Another vote on the Malekko, they come in a few varieties as well.

7. Golem

Golem Tele-Meister

Montavillian. It's unique. May not be to everyone's tastes.

8. waparker4

waparker4 Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

Nov 9, 2011
    Philadelphia, PA

I had one. It's not analog, and it doesn't have modulation. Sounds good though.

9. Strato50

Strato50 Tele-Meister

Mar 30, 2017
    Port Arthur TX
    The Malekko sounded horrible to me I bought one and played it once...no offense the TC is 10 times the pedal...I didn't dig their trem pedal either...JMO..Sorry Border you know I love ya..lol.

10. MitchJ89

MitchJ89 TDPRI Member

Jul 13, 2017
    Kalispell, MT.
    I was really into modulated delays a couple years ago and did a fair amount of hunting.

The best thick and lush modulation came from the older big box deluxe memory mans (there was some variation between the 3 or 4 units I owned, and they're pretty pricey now days.

My second favorite was Diamonds Memory Lane Jr. EXCELLENT modulation in my opinion. While in most lower priced delay units the depth and rate are usually pre-set, the MLjr is just about right; most manufacturers just can't get that right.

Chip.Lindsey likes this.

11. nic'o'caster

nic'o'caster Tele-Afflicted Silver Supporter

Apr 10, 2004
    Middle Earth
    I've got a DMM and a DMMTT1100 and the modulation of the DMM is superior to any other delay I've heard. Not that the DMMTT is bad but the settings go way too far into special fx... I like subtle modulation in my delay. One pedal that can come close to the DMM mod is the Ibanez Echo Shifter. Very underrated pedal btw...
    I also like the tape modulation you get with the Strymon El Capistan. It's not a modulation per se but the added movement and imperfections are very musical. Not the best alone but perfect in a band mix.

Chip.Lindsey and jondanger like this.

12. Golem

Golem Tele-Meister

"The PT2399 has a lot of unique features. It’s a digital delay that mimics analog delays quite well, giving a warm bassy filter to the overall delay repeats. This is no accident, as the PT2399 has a lot of high-frequency digital noise that has a way of getting into the audio path and is tamed through filtering courtesy of the on-chip op amps.

If you use the PT2399 Echo Application’s Pin 6 resistor-potentiometer configuration"

Looks like you are right. Sounds as good as my favorite analog pedals though hence why I thought it was analog. Well, you learn something new everyday.

13. tedtan

tedtan TDPRI Member

Nov 18, 2015
    Kansas City
    Thanks for the input. You guys were a big help when I asked about Vox in a Box pedals a while back (I ended up with a Wampler Ace Thirty), so now I'm off to check out your delay recommendations.

One last question: is there a significant difference between the "vintage" Deluxe Memory Man and the current DMM?

14. nic'o'caster

nic'o'caster Tele-Afflicted Silver Supporter

Apr 10, 2004
    Middle Earth
    Take a listen to this comparaison :

15. MitchJ89

MitchJ89 TDPRI Member

Jul 13, 2017
    Kalispell, MT.
    So, it's a bit of a rabbit hole.
    With the older big box memory mans you have those with 2 MN3005 chips,
    And those with 4 MN3008 chips (which are apparently also installed in the current versions if my memory serves me right).
    Some swear by the older ones with those MN3005, but I've had a few with the newer chips that sounded great.
    It's really in just finding one that sounds good to you. Of course there are some negatives with these units, such as larger voltage requirements, some units are noisey

16. tedtan

tedtan TDPRI Member

Nov 18, 2015
    Kansas City
    After watching that, I do prefer the older DMM - it's darker and dirtier, which I prefer. Thanks for posting that.

17. jdkr

jdkr TDPRI Member

Jun 16, 2017
    Vancouver
    I just bought a used Alter Ego X4 and really like what it can do.

18. jondanger

jondanger Friend of Leo's

Jan 27, 2011
    Charm City, MD
    I've had a couple and have a friend that has one too. I think that you just have to find a good one. Haven't heard two that sounded exactly the same, and I think it must have to do with the calibration. Right now I have one of the transitional ones with four IC slots, but just two of them have MN3005s in them. Analogman can mod those to double the delay time but I haven't sprung for the mod yet.

Nothing sounds quite like a big box DMM, IMO.

19. Mikecito

Mikecito TDPRI Member

Dec 11, 2007
    Bellingham WA
    Check out the Way Huge Supa Puss. Lush and very tweekable modulation.

20. Strato50

Strato50 Tele-Meister

Mar 30, 2017
    Port Arthur TX
    A fellow member has a TC Flashback for sale ...new in the box...I would grab it....change to whatever you want on the fly with your phone...I love it.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.