Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups

Best country amp?

Discussion in 'Amp Central Station' started by pgrace245, Jan 14, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. pgrace245

    pgrace245 Tele-Meister

    Aug 29, 2006
    Can someone give me a recommendation or preference for the best amp for country music (Vintage and Modern sound)? What do most people like. My budget is under $300 if I can help it. Checking pawn shops for used amps is a possibility too. I would like to be able to do both modern and vintage sounding country. I would rather go modern though if I had to choose. Thanks. I'm fairly new to amps.

  2. RomanS

    RomanS Poster Extraordinaire

    Jun 21, 2006
    Vienna, Austria
    The "classic" choice would be a Fender Twin Reverb, but it's LOUD and HEAVY.
    A Deluxe Reverb might also work (it all depends on how large the clubs are that you're going to play, and how much clean headroom you need).
    Many 'modern' country guitarists also use Vox AC30 amps (or boutique versions of those).

    I guess a good choice in your price range would be a used Peavey Classic 30.

  3. pgrace245

    pgrace245 Tele-Meister

    Aug 29, 2006
    I don't plan on gigging in the near future, just test the foundation of my basement! I'm looking to upgrade my cute little Frontman 15. I want something that produces a good clean country sound

  4. getbent

    getbent Telefied Ad Free Member

  5. Tremo

    Tremo Banned

    Twin Reverb or maybe an AC30.

  6. pick & 2 fingers

    pick & 2 fingers Tele-Meister

    Jul 3, 2006
    Jeff City Mo
    W/the price range you listed, I'd look for a used Peavey Valve King 1 x 12 combo. Definitely gig worthy (when you are ready) at 50 watts. Not world class tone, but certainly decent.

  7. Telewringer

    Telewringer Tele-Meister

    Apr 26, 2006
    Lincoln NZ
    I know it is outside your budget but if you are going to want Tele Tone
    to play country it is a Fender Twin, or Pro Reverb. Look around for an old
    70's Silverface Twin or Pro. The price is not bad, and then just have your Tech goe through it and you will never need another amp again as it will do anything you want. Indeed the only problem is they are as heavy as Truck Axel so make sure you are fit, or have big freinds. A bit of a stretch in the budget at first, but remember you will never need another amp if you get the right one the first time. Put it this way all the founders of the country music Tele sound used one brand of amp. Fender Tele in a Fender Amp.

  8. Stefan

    Stefan Tele-Afflicted

    Jan 16, 2005
    The Fender Twin is the best amp and is widely used in Country music. But it is heavy and expensive. I would say, any quality amp Fender has in that price range won´t let you down. Get a good Compressor pedal and a Delay too and you´ll be allright!




  9. Stefan

    Stefan Tele-Afflicted

    Jan 16, 2005
    If you find one of these at a good price and have the money.... GET IT!!!


    (Thanks to for letting me use this picture... ;) )

  10. pgrace245

    pgrace245 Tele-Meister

    Aug 29, 2006
    Rec79 what kind of amp is that one? Any recommendations for the delay. I got my sights set on the boss cs-3. Any word of caution or advice when looking for amps at pawn shops?

  11. pgrace245

    pgrace245 Tele-Meister

    Aug 29, 2006
    Will a fender twin 212R work? 100 watts solid state amp?

  12. CancerLeoCam

    CancerLeoCam Friend of Leo's

    Jul 20, 2005
    OC, CA
    Twin Reverb. Ask Junior Brown. He'll "tell" you all about it.

  13. DrewB

    DrewB Tele-Afflicted

    Feb 3, 2005
    Independence, MO
    The amp in the pic is a Twin Reverb with the Master Volume. I had one of those 15 years ago but didn't have a Tele at the time.

    Twin Reverbs are great amps for a big room, I prefer the Deluxe Reverb for a Tele. The magic Tele sound, IMO, has just a touch of hair on it, and a non-master DR gets you there a lot easier and at a much more reasonable volume level. That sound just seems to be inherent in the circuit. I don't get along with distortion boxes because it seems you end up with the low frequencies being dirtier than you want and the high frequencies spiky when you get the tone set where it's "comfortable." The slight and natural compression of output tubes just starting to overdrive is where the great Tele country sounds live for me. Twins just keep giving more clean volume way up on the dial.

    I don't know anything about the solid-state Twin, so I'm not even going to speculate whether it sounds any good or not.

    As always, beauty is in the ear of the beholder, so YMMV.

  14. blue metalflake

    blue metalflake Doctor of Teleocity

    Jan 29, 2005
    Absolutely correct - I've played country with a Pro Reverb since '75 and needed nothing else.

    Tele + Twin or Pro is THE sound you need.

  15. endzone

    endzone Friend of Leo's

    Jan 2, 2006
    Spend $250 on a Vox AD30 VT. It'll give EVERYTHING you need for playing in a basement. Once you've figured out what you NEED for any future playing (ie: gigs) then you still have a fantastic amp for practice and small venues without having a bunch of money tied up. You can't buy a better amp for the money, IMO.

  16. Reno Sepulveda

    Reno Sepulveda Tele-Afflicted

    Mar 16, 2003
    Nowhere man
    Peavy Bandit and a POD 'nuff said! ;^) Seriously though you could do alot worse.

  17. tugboat

    tugboat Tele-Meister

    Dec 12, 2006
    Louisville, KY
    98% of guitarists (and that's lowballing it) have absolutely NO need for a Twin Reverb or anything 100 watts. If you're playing Madison Square Garden, well then a Twin Reverb will come in handy. But for a basement, 100 watts is WAY too much. It's like buying a Dodge Viper and driving the speed limit.

    A Peavey Classic 30 or a Delta Blues are both all-tube 30W amps, and if you crank it it will still pi$$ off the neighbors. Dime the tone control for a more vintage, twangier sound and roll it down for a darker, more modern sound. You can find 'em used for about $300.

    Both amps will have good headroom for most gigs (if not, just mike it), have a gain channel for some dirt, reverb, and the Delta Blues has tremelo I believe. They'll both sound better than all things solid state.

    Tube amps sound best when the volume's up at least a little bit, and with a Twin you won't have the thing past 1.5. That's not getting near the sweet spot with that amp.

  18. 0le FUZZY

    0le FUZZY Former Member

    ...Save yer getus and fetch a 70s Twin Reverb.

    ...Country folks such as Waylon, Marty, JR. Brown and on and on kant be all rong!

    ...98% ??????????????????????????????????????????????????? Sheeze!

    ...Plum stupid IMHO and with all dew respect.

    ...$300 won't git yew won now daze but why waste yer getus on sum cheap thang?

    ...Git yer seff an amp that got a bunch of us country pickers over the years, a lot of pleasure and did the job sew fantasticly.



    (deranged internet-based alter ego, with my own lexicon and all.)

    Please visit my page

  19. Platefire

    Platefire Friend of Leo's

    Nov 3, 2003
    North Louisiana around Many
    Fuzzy-howd I no youd say at!

  20. jjh37854

    jjh37854 Tele-Afflicted

    Jun 23, 2003
    Austin, TX
    try to get a used deluxe reissue

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.