Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com Reiland Pickups
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com Reilander Pickups
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com Reilander Pickups
Join TDPRI Today

Best cheap Pen--Need recommendation

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by Robert H., Jan 25, 2013.

1. Robert H.

Robert H. Friend of Leo's

Jul 28, 2005
    N. Cal.
    I am tired of lousy pens and will lose an expensive one. So what is the best cheap pen out there? Thanks.

2. kelnet

kelnet Doctor of Teleocity

Apr 17, 2008
    Port Moody, BC
    Works every time. Smooth ink. Seems to last forever.

[​IMG]

As a school teacher, I've tried dozens of cheap pens (which I am constantly handing out to useless little twerps who seem to lose them within minutes), and this one is the best of the cheapest.

3. Forum Sponsor Sponsored posting

4. I prefer a fine, German, writing instrument: Staedtler. Not cheap, but not expensive...

[​IMG]

5. P Thought

P Thought Poster Extraordinaire

You will lose it eventually, but my recommendation goes with the Cross Century Classic. At $25-30*, you keep track of it (don't loan it to useless twerps), and it's a great pen, but when you lose it. . .well, it wasn't a hundred-dollar pen; get a new one.

I bought my first one back when they were $13, after I (accidentally, I hope) kept a client's $50 Parker after I borrowed it to sign a contract between us. I've probably bought seven or eight of them since.

* store/internet price, not MAP per link

6. kelnet

kelnet Doctor of Teleocity

Apr 17, 2008
    Port Moody, BC
    In what universe is a $25 pen a cheap pen? A cheap pen comes in 12-pack for $7. :D

7. telleutelleme

telleutelleme Doctor of Teleocity

Jan 15, 2010
    Houston
    Contact Union Pen Company and ask for a catalog. They'll send you pen samples every couple months for the rest of your life with your name on them. If you actually buy some you get the samples more frequently. :lol:

Papermate, buy them by the box at Office Depot. Cheap and you don't have to hunt for them if you lose one.

8. P Thought

P Thought Poster Extraordinaire

In the universe that carries $250-1000 pens, and up. Like me, you're a wealthy teaching magnate. Live a little.

9. Post Toastie

Post Toastie Poster Extraordinaire

Jul 16, 2008
    California
    You can't beat the PaperMate Ink Joy 100. 4 dollars for 12 pens at Staples. Great pen at any price but for a cheapie it is a no brainer.It has a removable cap if that is an issue.

10. True. Got to save up for a diamond-studded Tele.

11. Rich_S

Rich_S Friend of Leo's

Dec 29, 2006
    Potsdam, NY
    I like fat pens, so I try to get a couple of these around: Pilot Gr. Grip Gel. They're about $7, and take refill cartidges.

[​IMG]

I have to keep a close eye, though, or my family steal them.

12. jimd

jimd Friend of Leo's

Nov 3, 2006
    Cleveland, Ohio
    Bic!

I prefer the Click-Sticks because I hate losing the caps (it's an OCD thing).

13. KC

KC Friend of Leo's

Mar 16, 2003
    Missoula, Montana
  14. WildcatTele

WildcatTele Tele-Meister

Sep 16, 2011
    McPherson, KS
    Pentel RSVP...been using them since college. Large so they feel substantial in your hand, rubber grip, fine point that never blots and in 15+ years of using them almost exclusively I've never had one do the "ink dries up so you have to scribble for ten minutes to get it going again" thing. People think I'm nuts for being so particular about my pens but this model is well worth it. And only $7.99 for a box of 12 on Amazon.

15. Post Toastie

Post Toastie Poster Extraordinaire

Jul 16, 2008
    California
  16. stratofortress

stratofortress Tele-Afflicted

Oct 25, 2011
    Maryland
    Free pens are the best pens and in the automotive business there are an endless supply of them:p

Attached Files:

17. Guitarzan

Guitarzan Friend of Leo's

Feb 28, 2006
    Hotlanta, GA
    I have to ask you in what universe those Papermates work every time and last forever?

We always need blue pens to sign documents so that executed originals stand out and are easily distinguished from photocopies. They tend to disappear, so I keep cheap[er] blue pens on hand, and have a bunch of Papermates. Many of them don't write right out of the box and we have to work them to get the ink to flow and they don't work well long.

I prefer the clear body Bic pens, they seem to work better longer, but they're still not great.

I typically use a Cross Century Classic for personal use because they are simply more reliable and I write well with them.

I use the Bic multicolors for proofreading and editing, and often use them when other pens don't work.

[​IMG]

18. AirBagTester

AirBagTester Friend of Leo's

Nov 7, 2010
    Maryland
    -Mitch Hedberg

19. Brad Pittiful

Brad Pittiful Doctor of Teleocity

Dec 22, 2008
    Philly Burbs
    the classic bic never seems to fail me

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.