Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com

Best capacitors for Tone?

Discussion in 'Tele-Technical' started by simplemarc, Dec 12, 2011.

1. waparker4

waparker4 Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

Nov 9, 2011
    Philadelphia, PA
    5 years ago...

2. TwangToInfinity

TwangToInfinity Tele-Holic

May 2, 2013
    Twangville
    in my tele partcasters i use old 60's Ducati ones in there.

ramshackle'y installed and insulated with invisible scotch tape

(i always tell myself it is just temporary)

nice and chewy

[​IMG]

3. maxvintage

maxvintage Friend of Leo's Ad Free Member

Mar 16, 2003
    Arlington, VA
    LOL my bad. I didn't revive the zombie thread though

4. Ronkirn

Ronkirn Doctor of Teleocity Vendor Member

May 1, 2003
    Jacksonville, FL
    Yep... good as it has to be... good as it can be....

rk

5. Lefty Addams

Lefty Addams Tele-Holic

May 6, 2012
    England
    Another question for ya, Ron, if the OP doesn't mind me gatecrashing on his thread, with a humbucker in the neck and a single coil in the bridge, should I be using a 250k pot or 500k one?

6. Ronkirn

May 1, 2003
    Jacksonville, FL
    “you” should be using whichever sounds best to you…. Y - O - U … nobody else on the planet matters in that regard…

here's how I see it... If someone is fiddling around with various configurations of pickups, and isn't sure if they should use whatever value cap or pot, and doesn't HAVE all incarnations available, they are venturing into dark waters…

The simple fact is many of the endless number of variables in any guitar that seemingly have nothing to do with the electronics, can mask the tonal differences between any of the primary caps. .022, .033, .047 ….. and the difference between the two primary value pots. 250K and 500K.. not to mention a boatload of other stuff….

You have to be prepared and be of the inclination to try a few combinations…

The reason so many pup manufacturers and/or suppliers of other parts recommend specific values is because they have all been to the “marketing classes” and been told “you” the buying public, want an “expert” to decide for ya…. that “you” the buying public, just cannot wrap their head around the notion that the best tone is the one YOU personally like…. and you’re gonna hafta get up and go find it…. Nobody, not me, not Jeff Beck, not the ghost of Leo Fender can tell “you” what “You” will like…

So to make that determination, you cannot just pull set pf pickups “A” and match it to Pot value “B” and cap value “C” and wind up with the target sound… you gotta get muddy, wander into the swamp and be prepared for a Moccasin or two to take a poke at ya…. if ya ain’t “packin’” you’re gonna get bit.

Oh... afterthought.... when trying new pups... mount 'em and hot-wire em directly to the amp... No electronics or switches... that way you know what they sound like pure, with no "bunk" in the signal path.... you're gonna be surprised...;)

Ron Kirn

Peckhammer likes this.

7. Lefty Addams

Lefty Addams Tele-Holic

May 6, 2012
    England
    OK Ron let me put it another way, which value potentiometer would YOU, a fine purveyor of all things custom telecaster and much more, with WAAAAY more experience of this sorcery of electronics than I, fit to a tele with a HB in the neck and a single coiler in the bridge?

8. waparker4

Nov 9, 2011
    Philadelphia, PA

9. fyshnutz2

fyshnutz2 Tele-Meister

Jul 14, 2013
    Boston North Shore
    I think Lefty’s point is a good one and I have sought the same information in the past. In 65+ years of guitar building some “standards” have been set thru consensus. Example:
    First time Telecaster builder/ assembler, you got a neck & a body, pickguard, bridge etc. and a tele single coil bridge and neck pickup, pretty much standard stuff. Years of people doing this (consensus) will lead you to this (for us visual types)

[​IMG]

We'll call that the S-S baseline, now keep it as it is or modify to your hearts content.

What Lefty seems to be asking is what is the starting point (baseline) for a S-H tele?

10. Ronkirn

May 1, 2003
    Jacksonville, FL
    I'd go with the 250 K as a base.. and work from there.... probably a .022 mf cap...

but that's just because there's gotta be something in there to start with.... if I don't care for the sound, I start changing things.... and ya gotta remember, there's more than just changing electronic components... there's raising and lowering yer pups too...

so ya gotta start somewhere..

today, I'm leaning more toward .033 because with .047. about half of the tone control goes so dark, it's useless..

r

11. Lefty Addams

Lefty Addams Tele-Holic

May 6, 2012
    England
    well kinda I guess yes, because of the fact that the 'standard' tele has two single coil pups with a 250k pot, what happens when you stick a HB in the neck. Ok so if it was two HBs, logic says that a 500k is the way to go, but a HB with a single, that kinda confuses things a little. Muddy is not an option ..

12. ndcaster

ndcaster Friend of Leo's

Nov 14, 2013
    Indiana
    hey ron, does .033 or .047 (or any other value) matter to getting a wah effect?

13. waparker4

Nov 9, 2011
    Philadelphia, PA
    It is possible to use a 500k volume pot and add a resistor so that when you select the bridge pickup solo, the load drops down to 250k (or lower if you want).

Essentially this is sort of like having a "2nd tone control" that turns itself down a small bit when you select the bridge pup.

[​IMG]

Iago likes this.

14. TwangToInfinity

TwangToInfinity Tele-Holic

May 2, 2013
    Twangville
    i have tried alot of capacitors

there is a sound difference imo

here are some ive tried range from o47-.022 or so.

[​IMG]

Blue Bill likes this.

15. fyshnutz2

fyshnutz2 Tele-Meister

Jul 14, 2013
    Boston North Shore
    That Mr Parker is a great solution, I am going to try it soon.

16. glester

glester Tele-Meister

Nov 25, 2014
    Seattle, WA
    At 10, it doesn't matter. Beyond that...it's like asking whether chocolate or vanilla ice cream is better. It's just a matter of taste.

17. jvin248

jvin248 Friend of Leo's

Apr 18, 2014
    Near Detroit, MI
    That's where I've been for a while too! Seemed like every great sounding guitar I got hold of that I could look under the hood had an 0.033uF cap. Interesting to me is the Korean-made Epiphone Specials or SGs are nearly always 0.033uF while other factories use 0.047uF and I've seen some put in 0.022uF.

For volume pots, choose 250kohms if you want darker and 500kohms for brighter. When I build or mod Telecasters I start with 500kohms. But you'll want to test as your amp may or may not play nice with either choice.

This might help some

El Tele Lobo likes this.

18. Hi-Gain

Hi-Gain TDPRI Member

Sep 26, 2015
    U.P.
    Great :)

19. Bartholomew3

Bartholomew3 Friend of Leo's

Dec 8, 2010
    Montreal

I have a 68 with original pots and cap - it turns to mud when tone control is turned down about 75% or more - the opposite of 25% mentioned above.

One day someone will figure it all out...maybe. Probably manufacturing variances in the pots and cap - both.

20. sjtalon

sjtalon Poster Extraordinaire

(Yet) another tone cap thread that ALMOST died and withered away.

El Tele Lobo likes this.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.