Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com

Best capacitors for Tone?

Discussion in 'Tele-Technical' started by simplemarc, Dec 12, 2011.

1. surfoverb

surfoverb Doctor of Teleocity

Jul 17, 2007
    Virginia
    I started using .022 after Fred Stuart recomended that value with his Blackguard PUPs. He was right. Its all subjective though, sort of. :lol:

2. Toto'sDad

Toto'sDad Telefied Ad Free Member

Jun 21, 2011
    Bakersfield
    Nope .3300PF equals .003uf, you'de be surprised how much tone control you still have. Fezzparka I think uses .033uf, but you can drop all the way .003uf, and still get SOME trebble drop on the tone control. I settled on .015uf for my '52, but I may try .022uf since there seems to be nearly as many who like .022 as .047 including Fender on some model teles.

3. sjtalon

sjtalon Poster Extraordinaire Ad Free Member

I believe I read Fezz using a .1. Dats a biggin' :p

I myself don't use the tone control much so when I do, I like a subtle tone sweep so .022µF is on most of mine. I did wire up a Tele with Nocasters and for kicks put a .015 in that and liked it. If you do like things to get pretty dark with the bridge though that .015 might not do it for you.

Best thing when you are unsure with a new set of pups/guitar is get some test leads and a pile of caps and work the tone control and see which cap ( which is a tool the pot uses) gets you the tone effect you want.

These work great and 2 for a buckfiftynine.

http://www.radioshack.com/product/index.jsp?productId=2103629

4. Rhomco

Rhomco Friend of Leo's Gold Supporter

Oct 8, 2004
    DFW, Texas
    With a humbucker in the neck

With a humbucker in the neck and a single in the bridge what cap & pot combo are you guys finding works well? As a reference point............ Albert Collins style tele using a full up Gibson style bucker and a standard Tele single coil.
    Rob

5. triviani

triviani Tele-Meister

Mar 22, 2010
    Osaka
    I use a 0.01 (or 0.015?) and I'm quite happy with it. More open and clear than a 0.05, in my experience.

6. surfoverb

surfoverb Doctor of Teleocity

Jul 17, 2007
    Virginia
    I have a p90 in trhe bridge and Tele neck in the neck and I use 500K pots with a .047 cap.

The hotrod52 uses 300K pots with that mini in the neck. Id start with 500 and see what happens...

7. motor_city_tele

motor_city_tele Tele-Afflicted

Apr 25, 2005
    motor city
    You darn monkeys, you gimme back my caps

Best caps are big ole honkin' Electrolitic caps that live within the power supply circuit. They help provide the necessary high voltage for the tubes.

For the guitar you can put anything you want. your did say best tone, and that comes from the amp.

8. fezz parka

fezz parka ---------------------------

Yep, in my personal guitars I use a .1uF. I like to do the tone control wah thang the way my teacher showed me.

HR with David Axelrod

Last edited: Dec 13, 2011

9. titchy

titchy TDPRI Member

Nov 15, 2015
    Allesley
    My .047 on my 74 Tele was biffed and replaced with .033 and it has become a bit more controllable. I did try a .022 and that didn't seem to change the tone enough for me.
    Having said that if the .047 hadn't degraded I'd have left it as it was.
    Therefore if building a project guitar I'd go with Ronkirn.

10. ndcaster

ndcaster Friend of Leo's

Nov 14, 2013
    Indiana
    which cap value is best for steel guitar like tone swells?

11. Lefty Addams

Lefty Addams Tele-Holic

May 6, 2012
    England
    whats wrong with Sprague ‘Orange Drop’ 33nF?

12. Ronkirn

Ronkirn Doctor of Teleocity Vendor Member

May 1, 2003
    Jacksonville, FL
    Nothing...

Ron Kirn

13. raito

raito Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

Nov 22, 2010
    Madison, WI
    How much capacitance does Ronkirn have? And does he fit in the control cavity, or is he more of an outboard thing?

14. jvin248

jvin248 Friend of Leo's

Apr 18, 2014
    Near Detroit, MI
    Every time I open up a guitar that sounds amazing, tone presence that wraps around me ... I find an 0.033uF cap in there. So any I build or repair gets an 0.033. I usually use higher voltage capacitors because they seem more consistent, cap to cap.

Cap values can vary 20% from each other when marked with the same value, you should measure them to know exactly what you have or what you are putting in or you'll be confused as to why brand X or brand Y capacitor sounds better/worse when comparing.

15. El Marin

El Marin Tele-Meister

Mar 19, 2014
    London, UK

I own a 98 Fat Tele... It came with .022uF caps. After some years I changed to .047uF and I am much happier.
    Maybe I lost some ice in the bridge pickup (Dimarzio Twang king) but I won a lot in the neck humbucker (a Fender H8 I believe, fender factory one). So, at the end, the balance is much better IMHO

16. Doctorx33

Doctorx33 Tele-Holic

Jun 8, 2014
    atlanta
    Capacitors? Tone Controls? You guys are a bunch of sissies.

We don't need no stinkin tone controls! My Tele tone control is disconnected.

I can kill a wombat at fifty paces running my Tele into a dimed amp using the bridge pickup.

17. Ronkirn

Ronkirn Doctor of Teleocity Vendor Member

May 1, 2003
    Jacksonville, FL
    Never measured muhsef... but yood need the mini version to fit... :D

rk

18. Sea Devil

Sea Devil Tele-Afflicted

Sep 23, 2006
    Brooklyn, NY
    I prefer a smaller value myself. The standard cap makes it too easy to overshoot the mark when making hasty adjustments onstage.

19. maxvintage

maxvintage Friend of Leo's Ad Free Member

Mar 16, 2003
    Arlington, VA
    Poor guy asks a simple question and he gets a bunch of sarcastic answers.

In general the .047 works really well for most people. I like it But you might like some other values, so just swap them in and see. They change things in kind of an unexpected way--they aren't just "more trebly" or "more bassy": they shift where and how the roll off takes place. You might find that a different value suits your setup.

It's not going to make a big difference though. Half an hour of practice makes a WAY bigger difference and its free!

20. Lefty Addams

Lefty Addams Tele-Holic

May 6, 2012
    England
    thats good then ..

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.